Friday, February 25, 2011

Preggorexia

Ugh, what a week! Warning: the word barf is used way too many times in the following post. If you don’t want to hear about it, skip this one.

I am the third generation in my family to have especially hideous “morning” sickness, in that it lasts all day long, all pregnancy long. 9 months of barfing fun. In all fairness, after week 28 or so it was mostly back to being restricted to the mornings, and I think I had two (non consecutive) weeks where I didn’t barf at all, but still. Unusual amounts of nausea and vomiting.

There are upsides to this situation. For one, I have constant reassurance that I’m making HCG before I can feel the kiddo moving, so I don’t get overly paranoid that something is wrong with the pregnancy (despite Babycenter and What to Expect’s best efforts to convince me otherwise). I also lose a ridiculous amount of weight in the first trimester, resulting in me weighing LESS THAN I DID BEFORE PREGNANCY within a week of delivery. Being pregnant is actually the best diet I’ve ever been on, which makes me wonder if I’ll develop preggorexia and start popping kids out Duggar-style to get my ass down to a size 6. Then I remember OH YEAH, barfing SUCKS (hence Kid B being our last kid).

This pregnancy had actually been MUCH, MUCH better than the last. I threw up on a daily basis, but (mostly) not at night. Notice the use of the past tense in those sentences. Starting with Monday’s dinner, I kept 0% of my meals (and liquids, if I drank too much) down for three days straight, prompting me to call the doctor Thursday morning. They were worried about dehydration, so off to L&D triage I went. I weighed myself before going out the door, and I was 13 pounds less than my (overweight) pre-pregnacy weight. I am 16 weeks pregnant. All joking about preggorexia aside, I really am not okay with that, despite it being my body’s “normal” reaction to pregnancy.

OH and one thing I forgot to mention. I was in Columbus for a conference on Tuesday and Wednesday, so all of this was happening outside the comfort of my own home and around total strangers and tons of coworkers who I don’t know very well. Lovely.

Some pics, since I felt the need to document the event:

I hate when they put the IV in my hand.


The only food they would give me after my Zofran injection, which was frustrating, seeing as how I hadn’t eaten in 3 days.

My new mug, which almost makes it worth it. Pregnant ladies, STEAL THESE EVERY CHANCE YOU GET. Note the photo frame in the background, which not only has The Office’s name poorly edited out, but also has a pic of me making out with my husband. This is on my desk at work, because I am KLASSY.

I’m better(ish) now. Barfed up breakfast, kept down lunch. Am hydrated. Hopefully I will go back to normal this weekend, when I can just veg out and not have to deal with work/travel stress. Hope you all had a better week than I did!

4 comments:

Navigating the Mothership said...

Duuuuuude, this sounds miserable. As much as I complained about mine, I can't imagine having it NOT END for 9 months. Seriously, WOW that you guys even committed to baby #2! And how are you still working? Super mama!

The Diniwilks said...

You'd be amazed by how much you can block out in between kids. I actually have fond memories of my first pregnancy, and only vaguely remember calling my mom up crying ("you did this three times???!!!")

People were surprised I came to work, but if I were to not show up every time I had barfed or might barf, I'd be gone until August. You get used to powering through the crappy days. If it's really really bad, I lay down in the "personal room" attached to the bathroom (it's technically for pumping but I think I'm the only one who has ever used it for that purpose).

AJ said...

I lost 15lbs in 3 weeks with my first and delivered my 3rd weighing 3lbs less then prePG. And now my youngest is 26months and I weigh more then I did prePG with him, sigh. Almost makes me consider a 4th and doing better with keeping the weight off postPG.

AJ said...

^ (went in to deliver weighing 3lbs less that is, left the hospital weighing about 15lbs less)