Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Day 4: Write about a habit that you wish you didn’t have

I actually had two habits that were running neck and neck for this one, until I wrote the sentence “If I could snap my fingers and change one thing, it would be…” It’s now clear to me that my clutter habit is far more serious than my habit of generally not giving a crap about looking professional at work. I guess wet hair and no makeup other than rosacea control aren’t that serious in the grand scheme of things. My clutter habit, however…

It’s not that I’m a total slob or anything. And my house isn’t DIRTY, it’s cluttery (my car is a different story though – cracker crumbs, milk stains, and pop cans, oh my). I am actually this weird mix of OCD and hoarder. Some of my things, like books, DVDs, CDs, etc. are organized to the point that if you so much as think of moving them, I will beat you down. Justin regularly makes fun of me because every time I pick up Adriana’s toys in the living room, I take inventory to make sure that not one single piece is missing. I will literally turn the whole room apart to find a block, because she has 20, not 19, dammit!

Let’s take a tour of my desk at work to show you how weird OCD + hoarding can be.


Perhaps no one will notice the clutter if I stack it into nice neat piles?


It's amazing I can find anything in here. Note the super organized binders though, which all have matching labels and typewritten tabs on the inserts.

And THIS is the side people can see when they walk down the aisle. I regularly use clorox wipes on it, because we wouldn't want the CLEAN SIDE to get dusty. Also, the picture frames have to be angled JUST SO and I instantly fix it if someone knocks into one.
My biggest clutter fails are 1) the area near the mail slot, which also tends to spill over onto the dining room table; 2) my garage, which STILL has unpacked boxes from when we moved in last March; and 3) the basement and spare room, which have, I kid you not, something like 40 of those huge Rubbermaid bins of CRAP, some of which have survived 5 or 6 moves without being touched. I always thought that once I stopped moving on an annual basis I would get my act together and go through it, but here I am, a year later, with no progress made.

Has anyone ever used one of those professional organizers? How much does it cost? Is it physically painful to have someone touching your things? And, if Miss Niecy is reading, call me!

No comments: