Monday, March 21, 2011

Diniwilk Stew

· Since I already opened myself up to some car seat controversy, I may as well continue…I took an informal poll of my work friends with kids between ages 1 and 2. Of the 6 people polled, 4 flipped to forward facing as soon as their kid was 1 year and 20 lbs, 2 waited or are waiting until 16 months, and 0 plan on flipping their currently forward facing kid around in light of the new APA guidelines. Adriana is 17 months old, weighs 25 lbs, is in the 97th percentile for height, and faces forward. I have no intention on flipping her back around until October. I enjoy the fact that she only screams through about 18% of car rides now, and think that going back to 100% will probably increase the likelihood of me getting into a wreck significantly. What do you guys think of the new guidelines? Will you do things differently? [Edited to add: This is not permission to be a jerkface in my comment section]

· Friday night I went to dinner and a play with my friends. We had an awkward encounter that I could not possibly do any justice here, but trust me, it was one of the weirdest nights I’ve had in a long time, and therefore also one of the funniest.

· Saturday we took Adriana to Friendly’s and to Amazone. Adriana made friends with a cute little girl across the aisle, and it turned out to be one of seven(!) children belonging to a guy I went to high school with. Small world! Amazone was hot and there wasn’t anyone there to monitor the big kids trampling through the toddler gym, so we left early. I made a mental note to mock my kids and call them babies in order to encourage them to leave the toddler side alone. Still not bad for $4.

· I can’t eat a 5 scoop Reese’s pieces sundae by myself anymore. And Friendly’s still calls desserts “happy endings”, much to our amusement.

· Sunday we relaxed as a family for a bit. Kid B kicked strong enough for me to feel it on the outside, so Justin sat with his hand on my FUPA until he felt it too. I think several weeks went by between me feeling Adriana and Justin being able to feel it, so Kid B is probably going to be less of a pain in the ass than Nanny is. Maybe she will even CONTINUE DOING CUTE THINGS when the video camera turns on?

· Yes, we call her Nanny sometimes. No, I don’t know why. Especially since I have made it clear that Adriana and banana don’t rhyme. Yet Nanny bananny she remains.

· I am at 20 weeks today! This means not only is Kid B banana-sized, but she also poops! In the womb! Which means in me! Isn’t the miracle of life wonderful?

7 comments:

Lacey said...

I was just reading the new car seat guidelines today. Since I don't have any children yet, my goal is to stay rear facing until 2, but if, like you, I had followed previous guidelines and switched at 1 or 20 lbs, I wouldn't turn them back around until they were 2. I think it's a decision that you have to make for yourself and there shouldn't be any jerkfacing about it! :P

20 weeks! Kicking! Pooping! Banana-sized! I'm jealous...I'm just a lemon this week. Both yellow, but lemons are not nearly as cool as a banana!

Mama Bub said...

My son is three, so the car seat guidelines hadn't yet changed when we turned him around. I can't imagine turning him BACK around if he was already forward facing. My girl is nine months, and I'll keep her rear facing as long as possible. Fortunately, she's really easy going, so hopefully she'll be content to be rear facing past her first birthday. Still, most kids HATE rear facing, so it's not an easy decision!

Swistle said...

When my babies were babies, the recommendation was to move them to forward facing at 20 pounds and 1 year, so that's what I did.

I was trying to think of what I'd do if any of my kids were young enough to qualify for the new guidelines. I'm generally a rule-follower. On the other hand, my 10- and 12-year-old do NOT use a booster, and I'm not putting them in one even though the guidelines suggest it. So I guess I don't follow ALL the rules EXACTLY. So I don't know what I'd do.

Swistle said...

P.S. I love the "Edited to add"!

Saly said...

I've found that it is easier to keep the second child rear-facing because they are facing their sibling, and at least have some entertainment. So maybe that will help with Kid B.

The Diniwilks said...

Lacey - but your little lemon hit a milestone this week too. He/she could be peeing RIGHT NOW!

Saly - ooh, I didn't think of Kid A / Kid B interaction! I clearly still have no concept of what it will really be like with 2 kids. Mama Bub will have to test this theory out.

Holy crap, Swistle, I can't believe the boys are practically TEENAGERS already! Or that we are even bringing up boosters and 12 year olds in the same sentence, but I'm sure that's like my mom saying Nick and I just rode in her lap when we were newborns.

d e v a n said...

I read about those guidelines before I moved my now 15 mo forward facing. She was over 20 pounds, and past a year, and FUSSY in the car so I switched her. She won't be 2 until December, so there is no way I'm switching her back.