Thursday, April 21, 2011

Day 7: Your 5 Favorite Books and Why

This is part of my 30 Days of Blogging Series.

Narrowing this list down to five was really hard, there are so many more I wanted to include! I have been a book nerd since I was a munchkin. I remember my mom busting into my room at 1 am, yelling at me to stop reading and turn out the lights. I was in the first grade, and apparently Beverly Cleary’s Otis Spofford was simply too good to put down. I read through about 9 million dinners and family events. I even read on the playground during recess (which made me HUGELY POPULAR among my peers). What can I say, I just love to read.

I am sad to say that once I became a mom, reading is one of my pastimes that has suffered the most. My favorite book I’ve read *recently* is probably Boo Boo (parents – GET THIS for your toddler – Adriana LOVES it). The only book I’ve read since committing to read 101 in 1001 days is the first Sookie Stackhouse novel (and I’m not even finished!)

These are the books that are my all time favorites. I am also a re-reader, and have read most of them several times. Pics are from Amazon.

Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. I read this one for the first time when I was in medical school. I had a huge exam to study for, but I just couldn’t put it down. I love books that cover multiple generations, and am a giant science nerd who wrote my thesis on reproductive endocrinology, so this was right up my alley. LOVE.




A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini. This was one of the books my (now defunct) book club read back when it was still fun (which was in May of 2008, according to the old blog). I finished reading it in the little courtyard outside the building I worked in at the time, and didn’t even try to hide my tears. It’s beautifully written, and completely heartbreaking.



The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Haruki Murakami. Read this when I was pregnant with Adriana. This is also one of my brother’s favorites, so I knew I would love it based on his recommendation (we have very similar, if not identical, book taste). I never knew where the story was going, and I was completely enthralled the entire time.



East of Eden, by John Steinbeck. This was one of the VERY FEW summer required reading books I ever actually read in high school. Steinbeck has a real gift of taking the reader back to the time and place of the story. And, of course, this is another book that spans multiple generations.


Last but not least, every book ever written by Christopher Pike. God I love these books. They probably contributed to my later love of all things science fiction. I read my first one, Weekend, in third grade (Me: “Mom, what’s an orgy?” Mom: “What are you reading now????”). I would BEG my mom to take me to Waldenbooks so I could check to see if a new one was out. I have read every last one of them at least 5 times, and some of them probably close to a hundred. Seriously. Reading the Wikipedia page is making me want to go back and read every single one in order.

So that’s my top 5. Honorable mentions go to A Wrinkle in Time, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, On Beauty, The Millenium Series, Shopgirl, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and tons of others I’m forgetting.

I really need to get back into reading before I have ANOTHER kidlet to take up my time. Please please please leave recommendations in the comments!

3 comments:

Swistle said...

I LOVED Christopher Pike as a child! SO SCARY!

I read and liked Middlesex a LOT. Funny story: I thought I was reading Middlemarch. NOT SO MUCH.

Jaida said...

Love Walked In and

Belong to Me

Both by Marisa de Los Santos

Love, love, love these books

lifeofadoctorswife said...

You and I have very similar taste in books!! I had the whole (well, almost) C. Pike collection as a kid. I could read those books over and over and over. Some of them I think I have pretty much memorized! Chain Letter and Monster and Season on Passage were my faves, I think.

And I LOVED Middlesex. I'm adding Wind Up Bird to my Goodreads.