Thursday, May 19, 2011

Dining Room Makeover

I think we can officially say my nesting instinct has kicked in.

Justin and I bought our house in March of last year (and were fully moved in May 1). In the last year, we have done almost nothing as far as decorating goes. Well, we bought furniture for the basement, but that mess is a story for another day.

Our walls? Are almost 100% bare. In my defense, this comes from years as a renter. I moved something like 8 times in 6 years, so it’s always been kind of a pain to hang things just to patch them up again. Plus, my parents STRICTLY FORBID us from hanging anything on our walls most of our lives, so I’m used to everything being bare.

Between the bareness and the fact that every wall in the house is one of 3 shades of tan, I am SO READY to start finishing off the rooms, one by one. The dining room has been at the top of my list since it’s one of the first rooms you see when you enter the house. This is also our only eating space, since our kitchen is too small for anything other than a bistro table.

This is what the dining room looks like when it’s properly decorated (the previous owner had AWESOME taste – very similar to what mine would be, if I had (lots) more money and no kids, but I do like a bit more color).



Now, it’s naked except my Amaya table from World Market, which you can see crammed into our old apartment in the pic below, and some toddler and mail clutter. It’s a really dark brown wood, but it’s not black. Click here for a better pic in someone else’s house.




I was hugely inspired by John and Sherry over at Young House Love. Lacey linked to them a while back, and I have been spending tons of time in the archives ever since. Their mood boards are pretty amazing, and I realized that this is a great tool for the design-impaired like me.

My biggest challenge was the fact that I already have a table, but no buffets / hutches / sideboards. The room is certainly big enough for more furniture, and I need the storage. My first instinct is always to go matchy matchy, which was not an option since the Amaya line has since been discontinued. I decided that since my everyday Corelle dishes have black accents, I would try to find some black buffets and a rug that would tie everything together.

This was my first attempt:



1: Hillsdale Furniture Embassy Sideboard Table, available at Amazon


2: Silk Dupiono Grommet Window Panels in Blue Sage from west elm


3: Capiz Hanging Pendand from World Market


4: Avery Parson Chairs, available at Target


5: Corelle Livingware 16-Piece Dinner Set, available at Amazon


6: Oval Iron Mirror, available at Target


7: Pahket 8x10 Rug, available at JCPenney

I ordered 2 of the buffets, planning to put one on each side of the window. I think the symmetry will help me deal with the fact that they don’t match the table. I also ordered the curtains, at which point I ran into my first snag. Despite them being ALL OVER west elm’s website, they are apparently out of stock and are possibly never coming back. SIGH. [Update: since writing this, the rug apparently sold out as well. WTF? These products have reviews at least a year old, but the second I want to get them, they disappear!]

I only wanted the rug with those particular curtains, so I replaced them both and came up with a much more neutral design:




2: Flax Sheer Linen Window Panels from west elm


7: 9x12 Woven Jute Rug from Pottery Barn




I actually think this MIGHT be a happy accident, since a) the curtains are $100 cheaper, b) the curtains and rug will lighten up the room with all of that dark furniture, c) the new rug is a 9x12 instead of an 8x10, which I think is a more appropriate size for the room, and d) now I can regularly switch out my accent colors as seasons change or if I get bored.

I ordered the curtains, rug, and buffets…I will probably get the mirrors soon (one above each buffet), but will wait on the parson’s chairs – that’s more of a “down the road” thing that I’m hoping will tie the table and buffets together better. Same for the capiz shell chandelier, artwork for the walls, and some knick knacks and lamps for the buffets. In the meantime, some fresh flowers are a cheap way to make the room look nice without spending tons more cash.

What do you think??? Was going neutral a good idea, or should I have tried to find something more like my original plan? Do you think the buffets will look okay with the table? (Hee hee, I really want to ask if the rug matches the drapes, because I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy).

2 comments:

Mama Bub said...

I like the new rug/curtain combo. I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product! And, I don't think things need to be super matchy - I actually like a put together, but not perfectly matched look.

ssm said...

Ooh, I like it, but I do like pops of color. Maybe neutral with a little bit of your favorite color in some accents, like a vase or a print or something?