Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Anniversaries

June has been a month of milestones for me.

Earlier this month, I "celebrated" my five year anniversary at The Office. Workiversaries are usually more bitter than sweet for me, since this wasn't exactly my desired career path. However, I am shocked to report, this one was kind of different.

I think part of the reason is that I'm not in denial about my future anymore. When I started here five years ago, I was a medical student just trying to make some cash before going back to school. In the five short weeks of my internship, I ended up making a bunch of crazy life changes, including ending a serious relationship and bailing out on my dreams of being a doctor. I extended the internship, but I still thought that working here would be a temporary gig while I figured out what position in the medical field would be a better fit. I also met Justin, which I initially thought might be a temporary gig too (no offense, hubs, that's how I approached 100% of my relationships at the time).

Anyway, I spent at least a few years thinking the job was a pit stop before finding something else to do, and then a few more years feeling kind of annoyed that it wasn't. This is the first time in my life where I really do love what I do, and it doesn't feel like I am settling. This newfound love of The Office has really put a fire under my butt, and I have been staying late and coming in early FOR FUN. I've also pretty much stopped blogging and reading blogs at work, which explains my absence as of late. No worries, I'm sure I can find a way to keep the job love but return to an acceptable level of slackitude :)

In other anniversary news, Justin and I celebrated our second anniversary this month. This anniversary also made me step back and appreciate how great things are right now. I love Justin and Adriana so much, and am so excited for Kid B to arrive and complete our little foursome. I am taking 3 months of maternity leave, and Justin saved up enough money to take 2 months of unpaid FMLA. I can't wait to just hang out and enjoy my family.

Last (and least), I turned 32 yesterday. Between having an awesome family, things shaping up around the house, and being happy with my job, this is really the first time in my life I feel like I have my shit together. It's kinda nice. Also nice? LAST PREGNANT BIRTHDAY EVER!

1 comment:

lifeofadoctorswife said...

Holy major milestones batman!! Congrats on the anniversaries and happy belated birthday!