Monday, July 11, 2011

101 in 1001: 100(ish) Day Update

I am the kind of listmaker who spends more time making lists than actually DOING the stuff on the list. I am also the kind of listmaker who will add stuff that has already been completed to the list, or stuff I would have done ANYWAY, just for the satisfaction of crossing the item off. I think I still have notebooks in my 6th grade bubbly handwriting full of lists starting with "Wake up". I am a little crazy, I know.

Right now, I have so many lists going on that I had to get a binder to organize them (but don't worry, I don't have a list of the lists up front). I should be focusing on my Second Baby Checklist, but I am finding that the 101 in 1001 is much more fun. Why complete tasks with an August 8 deadline when I could work on something not due until Christmas 2013?

Last night, Justin and I completed the 10th task on the list, so I thought it was a good time for an update. I used a calculator to see how long it took me to complete these 10 items, and it turns out that it's been 103 days. That means I am actually on track - if I continue to complete 10 items every 100 days, I am good to go! This theory only works if I totally ignore the fact that I'm failing miserably at items which require me to be making progress all along (reading 101 books comes to mind).

Here are the things I've done so far:

7) Save up money for a cleaning service (post to follow)

12) Get planters for the front porch (post to follow)

25) Replace burnt out porch lights (this is the one we did last night, and, let's be honest, Justin did the work while I supervised - but it would have been ignored for another 6 months had I not brought it up before we went to Home Depot)

29) Replace the filter under the kitchen sink (another one technically accomplished by Justin, but I did all of the research and ordering of said filter)

34) Take kid(s) to zoo (we actually got a zoo pass, so I am going to fulfill this one many times over)

38) Buy a wine rack / hutch deal for the dining room (once the entire room is done, I will update the dining room makeover post)

39) Buy curtains and carpet for the dining room (see above)

41) For the love of god, get some new sheets already (best sheets ever - pictured here)

51) Go to Brazilian meat restaurant with Justin (we went for our anniversary)

98) Get a recycle bin for home, you lazy ass! (dunzo, and our routine has been adjusted so we actually use it)

How do you keep motivated? Are you a listmaker, or do you have some other system that works for you?

1 comment:

Lacey said...

Wow good job! I am REALLY struggling with that 101 books task too...I'm seriously going to have to count Green Eggs and Ham and other kiddie books once Charley gets here! :P

Can't wait to read about all of your completed items. And, you know I'm the same as you...I need a list to keep me motivated!