Friday, July 29, 2011

Planters!

One of my tasks for my 101 in 1001 project was to get planters for the front porch, since I knew I wasn't going to have a lot of time to work on real landscaping this summer. I have to say, I'm pretty pleased with the results! Now if only someone can teach me how to keep the bugs from eating the sweet pea vines...

I actually went to an event at a nearby greenhouse where they were doing "potting classes". Basically, you can bring your own container or buy some there, and they give you free advice, potting soil, and fertilizer. I went with my mom and grandma, and it was a fun little bonding event.

I knew I wanted purples and greens, so I went with purple petunias, persian shields (Strobilanthes dyerianus), elephant's ear (Colocasia escuelenta), and bright green sweet caroline (Ipomoea batatas). I added yellow marigolds to brighten things up.

Not too shabby for a beginner!





1 comment:

Lacey said...

Beautiful! I always go with petunias too...easy to grow and maintain and I have no issues keeping them alive! ;)