Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Thrush Sucks

So, Lucia and I have the thrush. If you are not familiar with it, for the love of god, DO NOT do a google image search (GROSS, I am still scarred). I realized that she had it the day before we went on vacation (10 days at Surfside beach, more on that later), so I will reconstruct a conversation I had with my brother on said vacation to help educate those of you who have never heard of it.

Brother: Why are you giving Lucy medicine?
Me: She has thrush.
Bro: What's that?
Me: See that white coating on her tongue? I have to squirt this crap in her mouth four times a day to get rid of it.
Bro: Is it contagious?
Me: Not unless you suck on her binky or let me breastfeed you.
Bro: How did she get it?
Me: From the birth canal.

Bro: Huh?
Me: Vaginas have yeast. Lucy didn't close her mouth on the way out. Yummy.
Bro: Thanks for the visual.
Me: Thanks for the third degree.

Yes, my family talks to each other like that (or worse). Later that week, my dad almost peed on the beach house couch because he was laughing so hard reading entries out loud from urban dictionary. We are a twisted bunch. Even when I'm not making an effort to gross out my brother, thrush really is kind of an awkward thing to talk about, due to the cause. Or is that just me?

Here is the only pic I could find where you can kinda see the white coating on Lucy's tongue:


The doctor prescribed nystatin (swish it in her mouth 4 times a day for 2 weeks). I was also supposed to put some on my nipples at the same time. Lucy hated it and would freak out every time I tried to give it to her, and it made both of us all sticky and gross. Also, it didn't work whatsoever.

My "6 week" checkup was on Monday (at 5 weeks for some unknown reason), and I asked my doctor about gentian violet thanks to Laura at Navigating the Mothership's super informative post. I still had 2 days left on the nystatin, and Lucy's 1 month appt was today, so I waited to fill it. I asked Lucy's doctor if she was okay with me switching treatments, and she went ahead and had the nurse paint her mouth right then. She said it only had to be done once and it should work (which made me wonder why the heck she prescribed nystatin in the first place). I am going to go fill the other prescription tomorrow so I can have awesome purple nipples (and so we don't keep passing it back and forth). Good times.

Lucy and I had a little photo shoot. This poor kid has to sprout a third eye or have a crazy purple mouth to get some picture love. I really need to step up my photo game, she has changed SO MUCH already (almost 11 pounds at today's checkup!)



Here are the runners up for best photo (but really, they were all pretty hilarious):






Fingers crossed that this stuff works - boiling binkies and doing even more laundry than you normally do with a newborn is the worst.

8 comments:

Reading (and chickens) said...

*crossing fingers* I somehow avoided thrush both times. But mastitis? Four times. Ah, breastfeeding, how I miss it!

d e v a n said...

Cute pics! I hope the genetian violet works!

Navigating the Mothership said...

Oh I'm so very, very sorry you are dealing with this. I still get nervous everyday that it's back.

Just curious - was the Nystatin the suspension kind? I was also told to put it on my own nipples, but I had read somewhere that it contains sugar (to make it palatable to the babes) and sugar is what the thrush feeds on - so it makes thrush worse! Peds rec this all the time apparently and it is the wrong kind of nystatin!

Ugh, the amount of misinformation in the med community on thrush is really frustrating.

Feel better soon!!!

Brenna said...

I had thrush 3 times (once per kid!), and Nystatin never did anything. It always took a dose of Diflucan for both of us.

Jessica said...

Is that the only way to get thrush? I didn't know that - I thought there were perhaps several possible causes. I hope the genetian violet takes care of it!

Wiz said...

I had no idea you could get thrush that way. I has only heard about getting it from antibiotics or steriods. (I had to have a steriod shot when my son was four weeks and was told to pump and dump.) That would not has been as awkward to tell people though, ha! Hope you are feeling better. Lucy is so beautiful! Love the pictures :)

lifeofadoctorswife said...

Oh gosh this sounds AWFUL. I really hope the new treatment is working!

The pictures of your adorable little Lucy are great though - the purple mouth is hilarious.

Marie Green said...

Uggg. We have the same baby! Thrush and oversupply, ahoy! (We're on our second bout of thrush. FUN TIMES.) I was going to say two things: 1. all of my four newborns have had thrush and only one was born vaginally, so there's definitely other ways to get it. I think if you're given antibiotics at all during labor you and baby will likely develop it and 2. diflucan is the only thing that has ever worked for us. Well, actually, we did get gentian violet to work once. But doctors, hand to GOD, know NOTHING about breastfeeding. Up to 85% of thrush is resistant to nystatin, and yet they still prescribe it. FRUSTRATING! :)