So, we had some unexpected visitors today...
That's right, folks. I almost burned la casa Diniwilk down to the ground. The culprit?
Apparently I knocked some french fries off the pan when I slammed the oven closed before Adriana could reach in and burn her fingers. I was nursing Lucy in the living room and had no idea anything was burning until the fire alarm went off. I ran into the kitchen to find smoke pouring out of the oven. There weren't any flames, just some burning french fry embers. I turned off the oven and threw a glass of water inside, which (of course) did not help the smoke situation.
Once I was fairly certain there was no danger of fire, I ran through the house opening windows and turning on fans, and then I got the girls outside so they didn't inhale any more smoke. It was only then that I realized that the alarm company probably called me (and the fire department). I ran back in to get my phone, but the fire truck was already coming down the street.
At least they were nice about it, even posing for some pictures with an awestruck Adriana.