Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Update: Dining Room Makeover

Justin went back to work on Monday, so I am now on my own with the girls. I have to say I'm kind of relieved, since I am waaaaaay less productive when he is around. I will miss all of the lazy days cuddling on the couch, but I am ready to get back to finishing up all of my projects around the house before I have to go back to work too (November 21, boo).

I did manage to finish one project while he was home - remember way back when I posted about our naked, boring dining room? Well, it has been slow going due to lots of rug drama and budget constraints, but it's finally done-ish for now.

Here is the embarrassing before. We literally spent a whole year eating on a lone table in an empty box:


The first step was to clear off all of the clutter in the built-in and to get some storage for mail, stamps, batteries, pens, and other random office-y crap that accumulates in this room. As you can see by the overflowing middle basket, we still have some organizing to do, but at least it's not stacked all over the place anymore.

I bought some decorative items from target (the hurricanes, candles, and assorted vase filler items) and west elm (the glass bottles below and the ceramic owls above). I also threw in some pumpkins for some seasonal flair. It's all kind of thrown together still and will change as I figure out what works together, but at least it's a start.


I bought the curtains, mirrors, and buffets from the mood board in the previous post. The rug is the Andalusia rug in horizon from west elm and I absolutely love it. In my experience, west elm is a total pain in the ass because at least half of the stuff on their website is either backordered for months on end (like the rug) or completely out of stock, never to return (like the duponi silk curtains I originally wanted, and the linen ones I eventually went with - I had to call 3-4 individual stores to find a fourth panel). I really love their style though, so I put up with it.

And now, for the big reveal:

I still have a lot I want to do, but at least it looks like people live here now. I think I want to push the bench against the window and get 8 of the black leather parson's chairs (from the mood board). I am not sure if that would be weird or too crowded, but it would give us more seating for when we entertain. If I do that, I would make a cushion for the bench (I am envisioning black with beige and/or gold stripes) and throw a couple of pillows on there. I would then put some of the stripey fabric on the back of the shelves in the built-in to add some interest. I am also looking for some sort of wine storage for the remaining empty corner - Pier One had a black hutch with hand painted accents that would go with the yellow in the rug but I can't find it online anymore. I also need some larger wall art but I have no idea what I am looking for, so that will probably take forever.

What do you guys think? I am especially interested in opinions about my bench idea - would that be too cramped or could it work?


5 comments:

Mrs.CFH2 said...

It looks great and realistic! I'm a huge fan of a space that actually looks like you could live in it. It's magazine worthy without being magazine stuffy too. I love the mirrors and the furniture! Oh and the rug! Nice work!

Lacey said...

Love it!! I think the bench thing would work, but I personally love the bench at your table instead of chairs. I think either way would work though! But really...it looks so good! Good work!

d e v a n said...

It looks great!

Jessica said...

I like how there's plenty of space the way it is. If you get more chairs, I'd take the bench out.

Wiz said...

Love the makeover!!