Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho

So, I am now a money making member of the workforce again. I am not thrilled with going back, but being able to afford groceries is always nice.

The bad news:
  • I miss little miss squishy cheeks and her silly sister :(
  • I only get to work from home one day a week, not to exceed three months. They waited until the friday before I got back to tell me. There really isn't any reason they said no, or any reason they couldn't have said yes. It also really sucks that they capped it at three months, without even giving it a chance to see if it was working. The Office just isn't a very flexible workplace, especially when it comes to working moms.
  • To make up for the fact that they were giving me the shaft, they offered to let me have my own pumping room that would have a lock on the door (from the outside, so I'm the only one who used it) and a fridge. When I got there on monday, there was no special room, just the same old "personal room" INSIDE THE BATHROOM, that locked from the inside, and had a locked fridge. Last time, people would just HANG OUT in this room all hours of the day, napping, reading, and doing their makeup, so it was never free for the one or two people who needed to use it for its intended purpose. And these people are SLOBS, leaving mineral makeup all over the counters. And it's a room IN THE BATHROOM, so there are BATHROOM GERMS where I am making food for my BABY. If I really wanted to be a jerk, I could refer them to the law that says "the employer must also provide a place, other than a bathroom, for the employee to express breast milk." But then they would argue that a room in a bathroom is not a bathroom. SIGH. Here are some pics of the room...it would be fine if it weren't IN A BATHROOM and was just used for pumping. Oh and I was forced to be the Fridge Note Person, as people were sticking their crap in the fridge during the 20 minutes between when it appeared and the lock was installed, so I had to move it.



  • Our group moved to a different part of the building while I was gone. The closest entrance is on the side that has ELEVENTY JILLION spaces that are reserved for carpool vehicles. I get that we wanted to make the point that we are a green building, but dude. NO ONE USES THE CARPOOL SPACES. There is also a row for hybrid vehicles nearby, but I have less beef with those since people use (some of) them. Excessive:

The good news:
  • I still get to work from home one day a week, which was one more day than they could have given me.
  • I don't have to keep breast milk in the community fridge (unlike last time).
  • My pumping situation is still better than what a lot of people have to deal with.
  • Without going into too much detail about what I do, I missed two of the biggest, craziest cases of the year, and they are neatly wrapping up just as I'm getting back. So I don't have to jump into the middle of anything, and I'm not really behind. Yay.
  • As part of the move, I somehow not only got one of the awesome desk chairs that you have to special order, and I got a cube with a "view". Sort of. Our company does this weird thing where even if you are right by a window, they don't take down the cube walls unless you are a supervisor. Also, these windows are like half the size of the ones where we used to sit. Bit whatever, I get to sit by them! I have seniority!
I can stand up and look at transformers whenever I want!

Or cars!

So that's my week. I can not thank you all enough for all of your kind comments, emails, tweets, texts, etc. You have no idea how much that brightened my day and made the whole crappy going back to work situation a little easier. I love you all!



4 comments:

Jessica said...

Our complex is 4 buildings. 3 have separate lactation rooms and one is a room in a bathroom. I have to say, I personally don't mind the room-within-a-bathroom thing. But it locks from the outside (I have a key), so that probably makes a huge difference. As long as a room has a separate sink (so I don't have to rinse pump parts in the bathroom sink), I don't mind. Is there any way they can install a key lock on the door? You should at least have a room no one who isn't pumping can use.

Heather said...

Yuck. Seeing you back at work means I'm up next ...

I actually think your pumping room is pretty nice, except for the part where it's in a bathroom. I'm pretty sure mine will be in a storage area behind a divider wall and I'll have to keep my milk in a community Full Throttle Energy Drink fridge. Oh well.

How is little Lucy handling the transition?

Raising Snowpeas said...

Ick.... I'm still at work waiting to have this baby (ok, really in a couple months) and am still dreading having to come back after my maternity leave :( It's just not fun... we should all be able to stay home (if we want to, that is). Hopefully your pumping room won't be too bad. I actually had two really fun places to pump with Allie; one was in the basement.. not a nice, finished basement, but a creepy, gross, moldy, unfinished basement - and the other was in a one stall bathroom.. I actually sat on the toilet to pump.. yes, gross! So, I feel your pain with the bathroom pumping issues for sure!

StephLove said...

I'm sorry for the bumps on the transition back to work. Is there any chance they can reconsider about the day at home after the three months are up?