Saturday, November 12, 2011

Intermission (Adriana's Room Update)

We went a little overboard with wedding pictures, and choosing which ones are going into my epic wedding post is taking forever. I'm going to give a little update on Adriana's room situation instead, lest NaBloPoMo suffer the same fate as 30 Day Shred (FAILBOAT!)

I believe I had mentioned before that Adriana's new room has basically served as a storage space since we moved here in March of 2010. I probably neglected to mention that I would also just throw crap in here at the last minute any time we were having guests over.

Adriana's room on November 1:


Adriana's room on November 10:

I have been busting my butt, yes? We also installed the railing for the twin, and she is sleeping in there as we speak (as you read? whatever). I'm kind of at a standstill because I don't really want to buy new furniture, and have no idea how to get the room to be less traditional/country feeling. The bedding isn't helping, but I fell in love with it when I was planning the nursery and decided to wait til I got the big girl bed and I'm going to make it work, dammit! Here's the long term plan for the room:
  • Paint the walls. I want to do something fun like stripes or a stencil, but I need to rethink colors now that I've seen the bedding on the bed. I was originally thinking a pretty gray with bright stripes, but the bedding is too pastel. Bleh.
  • Order shams and owls that go with the Pottery Barn Kids Hayley bedding. Or skip it and so something to make it less matchy? I don't know.
  • Paint the bed frame and dresser white
  • Change out hardware on dresser (something girly like crystal knobs)
  • Get a nightstand - I love this glass accent table from Target, but it's probably inappropriate for a 2 year old
  • Move the chest to our bedroom or the living room
  • Get the 9 cube storage set from Target in white or a dark chocolate with bright, girly colored bins
  • Switch out the ceiling fan to match the Minka Aire's in the rest of the house
  • Replace the blinds with roman shades
  • Patch and repaint the trim and doors
  • Paint hardware
Adriana is a super girly girl, and I want the room to reflect that without making me gag. Hopefully I will get it all figured out soon, seeing as how she has already made the switch. If you have posted pictures of your kids' rooms, link to them in the comments section - I love looking at pictures and planning (more than implementing).



7 comments:

Jessica said...

Ooh, we decorated/re-did a big girl room for Margaret this summer, but I don't think I ever posted pictures. I should do that!

Wiz said...

I am going through the same thing right now with my baby girl's room. I plan to post pictures soon! Its fun figuring it all out and watching it come together. We are actually ordering her one of those chairs for Christmas which will pretty much complete her room other than hanging things on the wall.

StephLove said...

Impressive job clearing out that room.

My kids share a room and the decor is pretty much random/accidental. Eventually they'll need separate rooms (I didn't think we go this long) but for now we just don't have the space.

Courtney said...

Wow - again impressed with the motivation of cleaning the room out in a matter of 12 days! Wanna come to my house? As for decorating suggestions, what about doign an accent wall - like 3 walls pink and one wall pink and grey (or even green) stripes, or just one green wall, or something just do that it's not pink overload? Secondly, what are your thoughts on the PB chair? Is that the regular or oversized chair? Does she use it alot? I'm debating on one for Easton and have a coupon and a gift card.......

Laura Diniwilk said...

Yay, I'm excited that some of you are thinking about posting pictures!

Courtney - Thanks for the suggestions! I have totally run out of steam on this project - just thinking about painting is giving me a headache. She just got the PB chair from grandma for her birthday (Oct 14) so we haven't had much time with it yet. It's the oversized one and so far it seems to be a hit.

Suzanne said...

We have the 9 cube storage thing from Target in the dark brown and it is DARK. I would go with white with pink & green cubes to keep it from feeling huge in the space.

I really love non-matching rooms and did a bright, non-matchy nursery for my daughter. I feel weird linking it (look at me! I'm so special!) but I'm going to anyways: http://bebehblog.com/carolines-nursery/

Heather said...

How about a vinyl sticker off Etsy? Maybe a tree or bird to go with the bedding?