So, Sundry changed up the yearly meme this year. Even though she deleted all of the questions I super hate, I needed to keep the old version for consistency. Enjoy!
1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
This is the first year I blogged, tweeted, or pinned anything. Also the first time I ventured into making internet friends beyond the occasional email or comment. I hosted my first giveaway and participated in my first CDP exchange. I have very much enjoyed putting myself out there, and I can’t wait to take it one step further in 2012 by attending PJs@TJ’s and the Blathering.
This is also the first (and, thank fucking god, last) year that I ever had two kids under two years old.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t believe I made any new year’s resolutions this year. My grandma passed away the same day I found out we were pregnant with Lucia last December, and I think I was too busy with grieving, barfing, and the holidays to really set any goals. I am definitely planning on making both general resolutions and a firm to do list for 2012 (coming soonish!)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Besides me? My childhood friend C had adorable twin boys in July, my coworkers/friends A and B had perfect little babies in October, and my friend/family member N had a beautiful baby girl last week. Tons and tons of lovely ladies on the internet made cute babies this year – too many to link!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Nowhere, we are lame. The only (non-work) trip we took all year was to Surfside Beach.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
More sleep and a clean house, definitely. And I’d always LIKE to have more money, but we are doing okay. Honestly, we really are very lucky. It’s hard to feel like I “lack” anything after everyone has been so generous with us and our girls.
7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
This year has been pretty much a blur – the only date that stands out to me is Lucia’s birthday, August 14, 2011.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I wouldn’t really say I “achieved” anything this year, unless you count the Beautification Award that we got for our landscaping (they must have thrown pity votes my way after watching my 8 month pregnant ass do hours of weeding). I am, however, proud that Justin and I had a record low number of fights this year, so I’m going to call that an achievement.
9. What was your biggest failure?
No matter how many to do lists I make or stuff I get done around the house, it’s still kind of a mess. I need to remember this when I make my resolutions for 2012 – I want to have a house that is organized enough that it’s not a big deal when people drop in unannounced (but please don’t do that, call first!!!)
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Does 9 months of barfing count as illness? Lots of crappy coughs/colds thanks to mutant toddler germs, and the birth related injuries – second degree tear, thrushy boobs, months of traumatic pooping. GOOD TIMES.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Definitely my Macbook Pro. I can’t believe I went so long without one. Honorable mention goes to the Arms Reach Cosleeper, which is so much better than sleeping for months on end with a newborn in the bed.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Hubs, for sure. Even though he is not a fan of the newborn stage (to put it lightly), he has been SO GOOD with Adriana and has really made an effort to help more around the house.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
MIL, obviously. Go read the 11 jillion posts about it if you don’t know what I’m talking about.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Where DIDN’T most of my money go? (Wait – I know that one – my savings account!) Besides all of the normal expenses for a family of four, most of it went towards stuff for the house, our unpaid maternity/paternity leaves, and Lucy-related medical bills.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Completing our family, obviously. Meeting Lucy. Anything cute that Adriana said/did all year. Getting comments on the blog / making bloggy friends. Book club / drinking wine with my friend N.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Despite not having a real blog before this year, this is the 4th year I’ve filled out this damn survey (2008 and 2009 here; no idea what happened to 2010), and I can NEVER think of an answer to this one.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
– happier or sadder? Happier
– thinner or fatter? I weigh less, yet I’m somehow fatter
– richer or poorer? Poorer, FOR SURE
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Cleaning, exercising, bubble baths, massages, pedicures. The usual.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Cleaning, watching tv, yelling at Adriana (so, so, so sad that being pregnant and tired and stressed makes me lose my patience with her).
20. How did you spend Christmas?
I’m going to post about this soon, I swear! In a nutshell, opened presents with the girls at our house Christmas eve morning, Justin’s dad’s side Christmas eve afternoon, spent the night at my parents, then presents with my side Christmas morning and bummed around over there all day.
21. Did you fall in love in 2011?
Yes, with my new baby girl.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
New to me this year (thanks, Netflix!) were Glee, Life Unexpected, 30 Rock, and The New Girl. Always love all things reality, How I Met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, Modern Family.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. It really takes a lot for me to hate anyone.
24. What was the best book you read?
I very much enjoyed Citrus County, the Hunger Games trilogy, Divergent, Bossypants, and Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? The very best was probably the first Hunger Games.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Ugh, I don’t even know if I listened to a SINGLE NEW THING this year.
26. What did you want and get?
Lucia. A promotion. Macbook Pro. Birchbox subscription.
27. What did you want and not get?
It didn’t work out with the housecleaner. I’d love to be able to afford the more expensive cleaning service (they were efficient, didn’t chat, and cleaned instead of organized – loved them).
28. What was your favorite film this year?
I didn’t see too many new ones. Bridesmaids and Crazy, Stupid, Love. come to mind.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 32. Not only did I have to think about how old I am, I have no recollection whatsoever of what we did for my birthday. At all.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
A clean house. I am a broken record!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
No concept of fashion.”
32. What kept you sane?
Blogging and Justin. In that order (haha).
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I KNOW there is someone who I keep trying to remember in the event that anyone asks me for my top 5 list or whatever, but I CANNOT FOR THE LIFE OF ME remember who. Will update if this amnesia ever ends.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
This is the least stirred I have ever been in my life. Occupy what?
35. Who did you miss?
This is super cheesy and embarrassing - I miss having a best female friend. I haven’t had one since, like, 2005ish? And for some reason this has been on my mind a lot lately.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
Lucia, duh. And Adriana is becoming such a little person, she ties for first place as well.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.
I learned that it’s WAY BETTER to just stop nagging Justin and to just do whatever I want done myself. Nagging only makes me feel crappy about my marriage, and the longer it doesn’t get done, the crappier I feel. If I just DO whatever I want done, I am way happier, and I can focus on the tons of good things he DOES do for our family instead of the few things he DOESN’T.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
There you have it! If you also do this meme, link to your post in the comments!