Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Genetics


Among other degrees, I have a Bachelor of Science in Zoology and a Master of Science in Biology (concentration in reproductive biology).  Genetics has always been extremely fascinating to me.  I would find my mind wandering as I perused my text books, wondering how my DNA would combine with my future husband's, creating these tiny little humans that have my hair, his eyes, and grandma's toes.  Or whatever.

When Adriana was a newborn, it cracked me up to see this tiny baby who had my dark hair and eyes, but made these FACES that were so undeniably JUSTIN it was ridiculous.  99% of the time, his family completely ignored the fact that she is basically a mini-me, going on and on about how much she looks like her daddy.  As she's gotten older, she mimics a lot of my expressions, and I look at her and see me.  The only thing she's missing is my hair color - her dark wavy hair fell out, and was replaced with fine, silky, lighter brown hair.  

Lucia, on the other hand, has been all Justin from day one, and doesn't seem to be changing.  If I wasn't there for the birth, I would wonder if she was a result of budding, or perhaps grown in a test tube made entirely of Justin's DNA.  I stare at her little face with those big blue eyes and wonder where I am in there.  Even her curls seem to be disappearing as she gets older, so I'm not sure if she will have a lighter version of my hair or if it will be more like Justin's.  The only trait of mine she definitely inherited is her need to constantly rotate her feet in circles.  I do that too, drives Justin nuts when we are trying to sleep. 


This handsome little fellow cheesing for the camera is my nephew.  He looks A LOT like Adriana - they could be siblings, not cousins.  



Someone's hair is long enough to pull up!

Who do your kids look like?  Does it bother you if your kids don't look like you?  Do you agree that Justin and I each have a kid clone, or do you see us both in each girl? 

11 comments:

Lacey said...

I'm terrible at figuring out who kids look like, so I'm absolutely no help. Also, since I'm your efriend and not Justin's I'm going to go with they both look like you! ;) (Honestly though, Lucy does look just like him!)

I've been missing seeing your babies! So so precious.

Also, zoology!? Seriously?! How cool! How many degrees do you have, woman?

Laura Diniwilk said...

I also have a BA in psych, a minor in neuroscience, and an MBA. Plus that year of med school. I am ridiculous. Fingers crossed for that student loan forgiveness bill to pass!

Saly said...

I've said from day 1 that Lucy looks just like Justin. It's insane!! I see a little bit of both of you in Adriana.

As far as my kids go, Bud and Liv both look exactly like Hub...well Liv more-so like my SIL, but you get the picture. Everyone says that Lu looks like me with her dark hair and eyes...but really, the resemblance stops there. She doesn't really look like anyone but herself to me.

All 3 of the kids have my mannerisms and facial expressions. This, I am told and have observed.

d e v a n said...

I definitely think the baby looks like your husband, and A looks more like you! My kids have pieces of both of us, but Miss L looks just like I did as a kid.

Raising Snowpeas said...

My daughter is the spitting image of my husband, so much that, like you, if I didn't carry her for 9 months and birth her, I would wonder if she was mine! She does have all my personality though! My son thus far seems to resemble me and have my husband's personality. What's funny to me is that the genetics go beyond just the physical manifestations and are represented in their personalities. I never really thought about that before having kids, so I was amazed when my daughter does so many of the things that I heard I did when I was a kid!

Kara said...

My oldest is almost an experiment in cloning- she looks so much like me it's not even funny. Identical. My middle looks like a mix of me and my husband and the youngest looks just like her cousin and my father-in-law. My husband has really dark hair, and none of our kids got that trait- we have two blonds and a very light brown haired child.

Jessica said...

Wow, you definitely do each have kid clones!

In our family Margaret looks a lot like Thomas, but has my eyes. Paul looks exactly like my baby pictures, but has Thomas' eyes!

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

I see little bits of both of you in the girls - but I mainly want to say MAN are they adorable!!!

Erica said...

My oldest is a pretty good combo of my husband and me, but my baby just looks like my mom. Which is...weird, as I don't particularly look like my mom. Sneaky genes!

Heather said...

I find geneology fascinating as well. I think it's so interesting to see two kiddos - yours, for example - who have so many different traits but they were both of the same two parents. Other kids, look exactly like twins even though they're siblings. So neat.

For the most part, Tory takes after my side of the family. She has my dark complexion, forehead and my mom's nose. In fact, she looks exactly like my mom did as a baby. From what I can tell, she's going to have more of my husband's personality and his ADD - she cannot sit still for even a second and my husband is just like that.

Wiz said...

I also find genetics fascinating! Both of my kids look like their dad's. I heard somewhere that they look like their dads at birth because men dont instantly bond with their kids the way women do but being able to see themselves in their kids helps them bond more. Who knows if its true but it makes sense in a way. It doesn't bother me that they dont look like me. I think my son looks like my pictures when I was his age so I think he will eventually start looking like me.