Friday, May 11, 2012

May 2012 Birchbox Review

This month only, I will be reviewing every subscription service box I receive, just for kicks.  If this isn't your thing, hang in there, there will be a lot of them - I am totally obsessed with subscription services right now.  I blame Superfreaky1RU and beautyfoolreview for sucking me in with their entertaining YouTube reviews.  Birchbox was a gift from my awesome hubs, all other subscriptions were paid for with my own money (unfortunately).  

May 2012 Birchbox: Gossip Girl Edition

Date of arrival: May 10, 2012

Packaging: This month's packaging is slightly different, courtesy of the Gossip Girl theme.  The outer box normally comes in bright pink and packaging, this month it was black and pink.  The inside box had a fancy gossip girl sleeve over the normal brown box, and this month's tissue was yellow and pink.  Overally, the Birchbox packaging is really nice.  You could absolutely reuse the boxes (maybe for storing your lovely samples) but I just threw all of mine out in a fit of decluttering.  B

Contents: As per usual, the box came with a card describing the goodies...
4 samples (Algenist Anti-Aging moisturizer, Arquiste Flor y Canto perfume, beautyblender blendercleanser, and stila sparkle waterproof liquid eye liner)...
...and 1 Birchbox extra (a Gossip girl themed notecard).  
Mini product review: I have tried two of the four products so far.  

The Flor y Canto perfume is heavenly; I would absolutely buy the full size if it wasn't 165 bones.  I am bad at identifying scents beyond "floral" or "citrusy", but Birchbox tells me that it includes Mexican tuberose, magnolia, and plumeria.  I have no way of knowing whether it "evokes an Aztec summer festival in Tenochtitlan circa 1400" (wtf?) but it smells nice and didn't turn gross after interacting with my body chemistry (I'm looking at you, Kate Spade Twirl).  A+ for scent, F- for price

The stila eye liner is the star of the box, in my opinion.  I have been interested in trying out liquid  liner after years of sticking with a less scary pencil.  I had so much fun playing with it that I even tried a winged look.  It's much prettier in person than I was able to capture with my phone.  It's sparkly, but not obnoxiously so.  It was also a full size product, not a sample.  Birchbox rules.  I put it on around 7 this morning, and it's not even slightly smudged near midnight.  I will definitely be purchasing another stila liner in black, sans sparkles.  A+


In case you are wondering, I am wearing urban decay primer potion, foxy, naked, and buck from the naked and naked2 palettes, and benefit bad gal lash mascara.  I also have a brown urban decay 24/7 pencil on the bottom lash line (too lazy to check the color, but it's a double sided pencil with either zero or perversion on the other half).  The orangey pics are bathroom lighting, the pinky ones are outdoors.  

Value: Here is a handy dandy spreadsheet showing the box value compared to the price.  This month's box was approximately $52.31, compared to the $10 monthly subscription fee.  I double checked all of the stated values with amazon, and Birchbox isn't overcharging.  I should note that the blendercleanser units are a guess - it might only be a half ounce, dropping the box value to $50.52.  Either way, amazing value.  A+

Overall opinion of the box: This was probably one of my favorite boxes (the teen vogue one was another favorite - apparently I have young taste).  I have to admit, I was a little disappointed after initially thinking I was getting a beautyblender itself, only to find the cleanser in there.  I can't really complain though, and my brushes could use a more thorough cleaning than my standard casual swipe with a baby wipe (gross, I know). I could do without the gossip girl card extra, but the rest of the samples were great.  A+

Overall opinion of the service: I have been getting Birchbox since December 2011, and I have been really happy with...hmm...all but 2 of the boxes.  The 2 I didn't love, I still liked.  The boxes always come on time and I've never had any reason to call customer service.  I feel like Birchbox is one of the few subscription services that is not having any problems - they consistently deliver.  There's a good mix of hair, skin, and makeup products.  There's always at least one thing that I'd never in a million years buy outside the sample, but it's fun to try nonetheless (like those crazy ass winged eyeliner stickers, or this sparkly eye liner, for that matter). This is definitely the box you should get if you just want to dabble in the subscription service world.  Just be careful - it's addicting.  A-

UPDATE:  I totally forgot I can get credit if you sign up because of me.  If you want to order Birchbox through my referral link, I get 50 points (100 points = $10 in the Birchbox store).  Thanks! 

5 comments:

Swistle said...

I just love this review. I just love it. I read every word, leaning forward in my seat. I think a LOT of the fun of getting the box is Seeing What's Inside---and so I think you have to add value to your box when you let us see too!

Heather said...

I love the idea of a beauty subscription service, but I'm too nervous I wouldn't know what to do with all the products. Do you ever feel like you use the items once or twice and then forget about them? Or not use them at all because you're too intimidated?

Jessica said...

My May Birchbox hasn't come yet and now I really can't wait! I hope I get the Stila liquid eyeliner - I got their full-size pencil eyeliner in my January box and love it so much I bought two more (in different colors).

So you haven't gotten a Beauty Blender? I got one in February (the box with the eyeliner stickers - which I haven't tried. Did you?) I could really use cleanser, too!

I'm looking forward to seeing all your other subscription service boxes, because Birchbox is the only one I get.

Saly said...

I didn't get the liquid liner in my box! I have their regular pencil though from a few months ago, and LOVE it. I have 2 more in my cart right now.

I got a nice tinted lip balm in mine, and some sort of body lotion plus the perfume and the wrinkle cream.

I think I am the only person with a Birchbox subscription who has never gotten any of the Beauty Blender products.

I love these posts!!

Blogger said...

You could be qualified to receive a $1,000 Amazon Gift Card.