Friday, July 6, 2012

July 2012 Beauty Bar Sample Society Review

July 2012 Sample Society Box


The deets: I actually found out about this service when I was obsessing about allure's summer beauty box and was literally stalking their website to make sure I got one (Spoiler alert: I didn't.  Sample whore fail.)  Beautybar.com partnered with allure to create Sample Society, so in addition to 5 deluxe samples, you get a $15 gift code off a $50 beautybar.com purchase and a year's subscription to allure magazine.  It's more pricey than Birchbox or Glam Bag at $15, but they send 5 samples instead of 4-5, and allure is obviously well connected when it comes to high end brands.  You fill out a beauty profile, but I think it's more to decide what samples they will offer in the future and has no bearing on what you get in your box.  


You can earn points through the Familyhood rewards program (1 point per dollar spent in their family of websites - not sure what sites that includes), and beautybar will donate up to $30 to their select charities per friend referred.  


Date of arrival: July 3, 2012


Packaging: The Beauty Bar Sample Society is very classy looking, all black and white and silver.  The inside box is very sturdy and is among the best of the sample boxes if you are looking to reuse for storage purposes.  It comes with a little booklet with tons of makeup tips by allure, which is a nice touch.  The samples are nestled in black crinkle paper, which is pretty much the standard as far as sample boxes go.  A+


Contents: This month's box came with a Vincent Longo Duo Lip Pencil in Sangria and White Glimmer, a jouer cosmetics luminizing moisture tint with SPF 20 in bronzed, Vbeaute Eye Never Nourishing Repair Eye Cream (cute name), Borghese Tono Body Creme, and Sisley-Paris Hydra Global Intense Anti-Aging Hydration.  
Mini product review:  I have only really tested the Borghese body creme, since, as I mentioned before, I am absolutely swimming in anti-aging products.  It's a nice enough cream, as far as lotions go.  The scent did throw me off a bit though - it kind of reminded me of that scene in Mean Girls where they gave Rachel Adams' character a foot cream for her face.  Definitely vaguely foot-cream-ish.  Still, it's a good sized sample with nice packaging, and I'm intrigued enough by the brand that I am considering getting this some day.  B-


I did swatch the Jouer Luminizing Moisture Tint...right now, it's just too dark for my skin to test.  I tried to show various stages of blendiness against my pasty hand to give you an idea of the consistency.  It seems nice.    


I also swatched the Vincent Longo Duo Lip Pencil.  I briefly considered putting it on my lips instead of my hand, but a) lip pencils are still not in my bag o' makeup tricks, and b) the only thing I could think of when looking at the colors was Queen Amidala.  Seriously, what purpose does a white glimmer lip pencil serve?  Maybe to highlight your cupid's bow?  Or use as eyeliner on your waterline, if you are into that kind of thing (I am not).  How would you use it?  I'm curious.


If you think I squirted more of the foundation on my hand after the bottom pic, you'd be wrong.  That's some leftover foundation from this morning.  GROSS!

Value: The lip pencil may only be half-useful, but it's full-sized, so that's awesome.  The anti-aging cream is INSANELY expensive, $170 for the full size, which is only 1.4 oz.  These creams kill me.  I will surely be old and wrinkled by the time I run out of them, and you can guarantee that I will be buying the cheap stuff at that time.  Overall, it was $54.85 for a $15 investment, which translates to $36.56 if it were a $10 box (I always do that so I can compare them better).  That makes this one a solid B



Overall impression of the box: Yay on the makeup, boo on the creams.  I wish these boxes would stop giving a body cream and an anti-aging cream and an eye cream all in the same box.  So frustrating!  Although, if you MUST do that, I'm happy to get a full oz of the body cream and a really expensive aging cream.  B


Overall impression of the service: I have only been a customer for 2 months, but I have to say I'm impressed.  I feel like it's a great partnership between beautybar and allure, and there is a small chance of them going out of business like (maybe) the Look Bag or screwing with billing like Glossybox or missing shipments like Cravebox (more on the last two later - we STILL aren't done with my reviews, can you believe it?!!)  A


If you want to use my referral code to sign up for Sample Society, it's LAUR965714.  Using the codes benefits charities, not me, so please use it!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Did you already have one of those Jouer luminizing moisture tints? I got an identical one in a Birchbox a while ago. Haven't tried it yet.

That Queen Amidala look will be PERFECT for the Blathering.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting what you got. I was debating on whether or not to sign up for Sample Society and after seeing this...I think I'll save my $15. I have so many creams, I don't know what to do with them.

And I personally found the cheap stuff to work better than the expensive stuff. My $90 cream can't even compare to my $20 TimeBalm moisturizer. :D