Tuesday, July 3, 2012

June (July?) 2012 BeautyArmy Review

June / July 2012 BeautyArmy Box


I honestly have no idea if this is the June or July box.  I THOUGHT the last box was June and had the exact same card that came in this one, but I couldn't track it down to confirm.  Weird, right?  


The deets: BeautyArmy is an interesting mix between the Birchboxes and the BeautyFixes of the sampling world.  It's like Birchbox in the fact that they are deluxe size samples, it's like BeautyFix in that you get to pick them yourself.  You take a little beauty quiz and then Beauty Army sends you 9 samples to choose from, based on your response.  Hate the 9 samples?  Retake the quiz.  Like the samples but just can't stand not knowing what other options are out there?  Retake the quiz.  I usually retake the quiz about 4-5 times each round before I have 6 choices that I am happy with.  


Here is a screenshot of the samples I ended up with.  I was trying to end up with the dry shampoo and as much makeup as possible, and this was the first result I got that made me think I'd be upset if I took the quiz AGAIN and didn't get some of these choices.  




You can get Survey Badges (15% off in the shop for filling out 5 surveys), Recruiter Badges (a free month for recruiting 3 friends), and Subscriber Badges ($10 off a $50 purchase for every 3 months you subscribe).  BeautyArmy is $12 a month or $132 annually, and you can skip a month if you want.  


Date of arrival: Friday, June 29.  


Packaging: Beauty Army has one of the better boxes in the business.  It's a sturdy (actually useful) black box with pink camouflage print on the inside.  The goodies are always wrapped in pink and navy tissue paper.  The card doesn't offer any extra information about the products, you have to get all of that from the Beauty Army website.  A
Contents: The top two pics below are the front and back of the Besame Cosmetics Crimson Cream Rouge.  The Youngblood Mineral Primer is that blurry guy in the corner, and I also got Pssssst! Dry Shampoo.
The products I was most excited about
I also chose the CellCeuticals CerActive Active Moisture + Barrier Repair Skin Treatment, the Control Corrective Medicated Pumice Wash, and the Atopalm Intensive Moisture Cream, all of which I have received in other boxes.  I was trying the get the 3 products above to all show up at the same time, and the only way to do so was to get them with these guys or little packet samples.  
The products I was least excited about (MORE CREAMS)


Mini product review: Okay, I don't know if I'm getting burned out on my own little "let's subscribe to and review every beauty subscription service ever!" project or on the samples themselves, but these samples have been sitting in the box and I haven't tried any of them out yet.  If I try them and love them, they might show up in a monthly beauty favorites post (which I will start doing once I don't have a million boxes to review).  Turns out that subscribing to 12 samples services = TOO MANY SAMPLES!  Who knew?!!


Value: I wasn't able to find how many oz the full sized Besame tin is (which is the CUTEST THING EVER and I want one), so I'm not sure the exact value of the box - I'm guessing under $20 for a $12 investment.   D




Overall impression of the box: I wasn't super excited about this one.  I'm glad I get to try a dry shampoo (I am the last person in the universe to try one out), and I am hoping that the Besame is a good product so I can justify buying the full size just for that adorable tin.  It was a lot smaller than I thought it would be though.  I was not too excited about getting more moisturizers and cleansers, since I have a lifetime supply.   C-


Overall impression of the service: I was pretty happy the first two months, but this time was a little frustrated.  I feel like I keep seeing the same products over and over, and wish they would just let us see everything so we can pick what we really want rather than retaking the quiz a million times and still not being happy.  I think this would be a good alternative to the people who feel like they get the shaft and always get the low value or boring Birchbox box, because it gives you a little more control.  However, I'd personally rather have the chance of getting amazing samples (and risk ending up with okay ones) than only be offered a bunch of okay samples that I get to choose from.  If that makes sense.  C 

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Dry shampoo is the BEST, though, I haven't had any luck with spray ones (they clog). I use my powder one all the time. You probably know this already, but it works best if you put it in the night before so your hair rubbing on the pillow during the night works the product in really well.

Elizabeth said...

ok, so here's my complaint about all of these services, and I'm wondering if you have a solution or if we should start our own sample box :)
Because what I want, and cannot find, is 4-5 samples of MAKE UP every month. And that's what everyone wants, pretty much, right? I don't mind trying hair stuff, actually, but I do not want more face/body cream or lotion or soap. I have face cream that I love, I am not going to stick some random sample on my face. Once you find a face cream that works for you, why would you want to try a sample or even buy more based on a sample?
BUT I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to try new eyeliner and mascara and eyeshadow and blush and if I liked it, I would BUY MORE. So it's really frustrating that no one can seem to do this. Do they...just not make that many makeup samples? It's really weird to me. Maybe lotion is just easier to put in sample form, but I swear to god the first company that comes out and has 4-5 GOOD makeup samples every month, even if they are small sizes, is going to get my money immediately.

CityGirl said...

Wow that's a lot of boxes - which 12 do you subscribe to? (Don't worry, you're not alone; there are many of us beauty sample addicts out there!)

Erica said...

I agree with Elizabeth. Also, if my Julep Maven July box doesn't get here today, I won't have America the Beautiful for the fourth and then it's all FOR NAUGHT.