Friday, August 10, 2012

Summer 2012 Day in the Life

If you are reading this post, that means I FINALLY actually completed a Day in the Life project!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO, go me!  I have tried to do this at least 3 other times, and then I take 11 jillion pictures and get really overwhelmed when it comes time to blogging about it.  This time, I decided to exclusively do iPhone pics, and to pick a day where I am at work so it's not like there is a ton going on anyway.  It's not glamorous, but it IS what I do five days a week.  Also, I totally look like crap today, so sorry about that. 

This was originated by that other Laura over at Navigating the Mothership.  I adore her posts, go stalk her archives if you have some time.  Or, stalk later, pick up your camera, and join us!

Some time in the early 6's:  I wake up on the couch.  Shit!  I must have fallen asleep watching Big Brother shortly after making Justin stay up to watch it with me.  He was probably so annoyed that he just left me here.  My right wrist, shoulder, and knee are NOT HAPPY.  

6:23: Justin is up and in the shower, and I can hear Lucia banging around her crib.  I sigh, haul myself off the couch, and go make a bottle (last week of formula EVERRRRRRRRRR!!!).  I hand it to Lucy, plug in my iPhone (completely dead), and head back downstairs to pick out some kiddo outfits for the day.  Have we discussed the fact that I almost exclusively dress the girls in matching outfits?  Weird, I know.  My friend Kim recently visited, and she just kept saying "But...why?  They are two different people!"  Whatever, Adriana likes it.  
Genuine kids from Target, I believe
6:30: Justin is grabbing Lucy (the pic is blurry because the lights were off) so I am stuck with crabbypants McGoo.  Look at her, all hiding under the blankets like a tiny teenager.  I snap a picture, and she makes us laugh by yelling "It's TOO SUNNY, Mama!"  (meaning the camera flash, not the actual sun).  
I tentatively promise to not wake you up when you are an ACTUAL teenager, as I will be sleeping too.
6:40: Adriana and I get dressed, brush our teeth, and go through the morning potty ritual.  She will be 3 in October, but she still sometimes fights us on peeing (mostly when she's tired), and ALWAYS fights on pooping.  She asks for a diaper when she has to poop.  Someone please tell me that this will end soon?
She was skeptical at first, but I told her we were having cake tonight and she perked right up.
6:50: Kids and hubs are out the door.  I give Lucy extra kissies since I didn't get to spend any time with her this morning.  I am allowed to turn her car seat around next week, but she seems fine facing backwards so I guess we are going to leave it?


1000 yard stare
6:50-7:30: Couch to 10K time.  I am on week 4, day 2 and it's a rough one thanks to the night on the couch.  I am fantasizing about only doing half the workout from the very first step.  I don't see how I am ever going to do the 5.5 miles at the relay.  Then I remember that the girls are spending the night at my parents' house, so if I power through today, I can sleep in tomorrow (and still have time to do hair and makeup like an actual grownup).  
Crabgrass is the devil.  Pulled some during my cool down but it's still a losing battle.
7:30-8:10: I pack up clothes for the girls and watch a few minutes of Big Brother while I wait to stop sweating and for my face to calm down.  I give up and hop in the shower.  My face is still bright red when I pull into the parking lot (I work 3 minutes from home), but I slap on some makeup in my car before heading in.  It's always a gamble not waiting for the red to go away, since it's hard to tell if I have too much or too little foundation.  But I'm wearing a weird outfit (teacherish skirt and too thin maternity t-shirt)(not pregnant) and my hair is wet, so it's not like my face is what is keeping me from looking awesome.  
Don't ever say I never posed topless for you. 
8:15: The plan was to toss my bags down and go get breakfast (we have a cafe in our building).  I got as far as tossing my bags down before getting sucked into a million emails.  That all came through AFTER I left work near 8pm the night before.  Sigh.  
I like black bags and I cannot lie.
9:00-9:45: Meeting with about 15 members of management.  It's every Monday and Thursday morning, yet I manage to regularly forget this and come into work looking like a slob on those days at least twice a month. Oops.  
I buy my own fancy notebooks and pens.  Our office supplies are crap.
9:45-12:00: Blah blah blah work stuff blah.  We are trying to settle one case and we just got an important opinion and order in another, so I was super busy in my cube, surrounded by binders and daycare art. 
Does anyone else think daycare art is super creepy?
12:00-12:30: Picked up Panera and waited around for my brow appointment.  The salon had OPI's Germany Collection, which I hadn't seen yet.  It's pretty meh - I think "Berlin There Done That" pretty much says it all.  They also had "Nundies", which, um NO.  
Then again, maybe the mustard yellow OPI is calling my name.
12:30-1:00: Back to the office, where my newly separated brows and I enjoyed lunch.
Do you guys fill in your brows?  YouTube is making me think I need to do this. 
1:00-5:00: Blah blah work stuff blah.  I'm on a conference call from 3-4:30, so I paint my nails.


Sienna from the August 2012 Julep Maven Box.  LOVE!
5:00-6:00: I stop at home to switch out the teacher skirt for some jeans and to check the mail before heading to my parents' for my SIL's birthday dinner.  I have two packages, some Steven by Steve Madden shoes I bought off Hautelook, and a bathing suit from the Loft (now sold out).  The bathing suit is a size smaller than I normally wear, but it was a great deal and reviews said they run big so I gambled.  I think it's going to work!  We go on vacation in a couple of weeks, and I wanted something that will fully cover my jiggly bits. 
Have we established that I wear a lot of black and white?
6:00-7:00: Dinner time!  My amazing mom cooks everyone's favorite dinner on their birthday.  She also whips up fancy dinners like this on, say, a tuesday.  She is a supermom.  My dad, who is equally super, was on meat duty.  Sorry the lighting is crazy in all of these pics, my parents have giant windows in every direction.  

Seriously.  Superparents.
Nom nom nom
7:00-8:30: General family togetherness; getting the girls ready for bed (they spent the night).  In case you can't tell from the pictures, I'm with my parents, my brother Nick, SIL Kathleen, nephew Colin, brother John, SIL Val (birthday girl), Justin, Adriana, and Lucia. John and Val are the ones in the table pic above; Nick has a hat, Kathleen has lighter hair and is wearing her glasses today (she doesn't normally).  

It's not a family gathering until someone gets hurt.
I always think it's cute watching my brothers play with the girls.
Not pictured: John playing pirate ship with Adriana and Colin.  The pics turned out crappy but it was hilarious to watch.
Cousins!
8:30-10:00: Drive home and watch Big Brother with Justin.  It was nice to cuddle on the couch sans kids since we don't get to spend a lot of time together at family gatherings (we tend to each take a kid).  My all time favorite player in the history of BB got evicted, boooo!  I may or may not have ended the night falling asleep on the couch AGAIN while watching Bachelor Pad.  

Dorks.



11 comments:

Swistle said...

Well, sure! Two DIFFERENT people can't wear the SAME kind of shirt! That's why stores only sell one of each item!

I LOVE the Julep Sienna!

PinkieBling said...

I love their matching outfits, I seriously covet your shoes, and that bathing suit is adorable.

I do fill in my brows, but that's because I used to pluck them into oblivion. Almost a decade later, and I'm still coaxing them to grow back! (I have Latisse, but I'm not great about using it consistently.) I use Urban Decay's powder/wax. I'm probably going to try Benefit's next.

Looks like a fun "day in the life!"

d e v a n said...

I loved this whole post. :)

Navigating the Mothership said...

I am delighted when both kids are wearing their lime green crocs, so I can see you on the matchy matchy thrills :)

Court3ney said...

Janelle was your favorite BB player? I think they just needed a new target, that's why they kicked her out. Too bad they didn't stick with the Frank plan or get rid of Boogie. Not a fan of that guy.

Stephanie said...

I am TOTALLY bummed that that suit is sold out, I am looking for a new swim suit and I love that one. :( I guess my search continues.

Raising Snowpeas said...

Big Brother is also my guilty summer pleasure - could the people get anymore ridiculous? Ha! love the matching outfits - it's about the only reason I wished I had two girls, so I could dress them alike! Yes, that's completely rational thinking :)

Amy said...

My daughter refused to do poop on the potty for a long time. We tried to fight her, but she's stubborn. Finally she just went on the potty. My advice is to let her do her thing on her time schedule. But that's just what we did. :)
Your girls are sweet!

Lacey said...

I loved everything about this. I fill in my brows too, but because I really don't have many hairs and after I get them waxed so they have some shape, they need some umph. I think your brows look great and no need for filling!

Your babies are seriously adorable. I like matching outfits too!

Jessica said...

That doesn’t seem like a day where not much was going on!

That dinner looks amazing.

Wiz said...

Love this! I am actually reading a book right now called Water Cooler Diaries which consistists of woman's day diaries in a single day. Its always interesting to see how others live their day to day lives. I so need to do this!