Anyway, the premise is simple. You evaluate your makeup / beauty collection, pick 10 things that are close to being used up (or "hitting pan"), and you go on a makeup no buy until they are done. I like this concept because it reminds me of when I'd line up my pens and find the one with the least amount of ink to use up first, or the "first in, first out" mentality that was beat into my head in my McDonald's days. There is definitely something satisfying about getting that last bit out of the bottle and then throwing it out. BOOM!
I am not so concerned about the makeup no buy aspect of it, as I really do think I got all of the makeup buying out of my system and am not planning on adding any new subscriptions. It's more about trying to use up what I have and reducing the clutter. But, in the spirit of the project, I commit to not buying anything new until 10 things are crossed off unless a) it's a subscription I already paid for b) it's purchased through gift cards or reward points, or c) something runs out and I don't have any replacements. I'm not going to not wear deodorant just because of this project.
What I'd like to do is keep this as a running list and add a new item whenever one gets crossed off, so I'm always trying to use up 10 things. I also plan to write my thoughts on a product as it is used up, so I can remember if it was worth buying or not.
I was originally going to post this back in August and never got around to it, so some of these products are a little more used up than the picture would suggest. In fact, I have already used up this guy right here:
|1. The Body Shop Satsuma Body Butter|
Here are the 10 I'm working on right now:
|2. Neutrogena Healthy Shine Lip Gloss - Healthy Blush 120|
|3. fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment|
|4. Pangea Organics Lip Balm, Egyptian Fennel Grapefruit and Sweet Orange|
|5. benefit BAD gal lash|
|6. Clinique superpowder double face makeup in Matte Ivory|
|7. Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Cleansing Pads|
|8. Aveeno Positively Ageless Lifting and Firming Night Cream|
|9. Julep Age Defying Hand Brightener|
|10. Missha Perfect Cover B.B. Cream in No. 21|
|11. Olay Thermal Pedicure|
2. Neutrogena Healthy Shine Lip Gloss, Healthy Blush 120
3. fresh Sugar Rose Lip Treatment (March 2012 Birchbox)
4. Pangea Organics Lip Balm, Egyptian Fennel Grapefruit and Sweet Orange (April 2012 Birchbox)
5. benefit BAD gal lash
6. Clinique superpowder double face makeup in Matte Ivory
7. Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Cleansing Pads
8. Aveeno Positively Ageless Lifting and Firming Night Cream
9. Julep Age Defying Hand Brightener
10. Missha Perfect Cover B.B. Cream in No. 21
11. Olay Thermal Pedicure
Since I have been doing this a while, I will give you a couple of tips if you plan to join me on this project:
When deciding what to include...
- I generally start with stuff that clearly is on its last legs and is just taking up space in the hall closet where we store our bathroom goodies. If I'm tired of looking at it, it's a candidate.
- If the product is expired, toss it (or at least make sure it's still usable and doesn't smell weird). It's really tempting for me to force myself into using something that's gross just because it's there and I paid money for it. Meanwhile, all of my non-expired products are getting older by the minute as they wait for me to use something I'm not even enjoying. It's a never-ending cycle.
- If the product isn't for you, try to give it away. There is no need to torture yourself with something that isn't working for you.
- Try to only have one item per category. There is no reason for me to have 3 lip products but no eyeliner on here.
- If you are using a balm, make sure it has a pretty good dent in it already or it will be on your list FOREVER.
- Same goes for eyeshadows. I have yet to get close to hitting pan on any of mine, because I have too many and I wear it too rarely. Even if I were to just focus on one color, it takes me way too long to get through it.
- I like to use Project 10 Pan to force myself into beauty routines that aren't automatically ingrained into my system. For example, I never remember to moisturize my hands, and I feel like that's something I need to focus on as I'm getting older - they say the hands give away a woman's true age, right? So putting a hand lotion on my list ensures that I'm keeping up with it.
- Put the items where you think you'll reach for them the most. I made a little space on my work desk for all of my manicure products (including the hand lotion) because I get bored on conference calls and I use the time to pretty up my hands. I also keep a little pouch in my purse for the Project 10 Pan lip glosses.
- It's okay to take a break from something and swap it out of your rotation. Makeup is still supposed to be fun, and as long as you are using SOMETHING up and not buying anything new, you are on track!
So, what do you think? Care to join me on a Project 10 Pan and/or a makeup no buy? Feel free to link in the comments if you do this!