Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Recap: Sadder, Thinner, Poorer

As a long time Sundry reader, I have been doing this meme in some form since 2008, but only 2011 exists on this blog (2008 and 2009 here; no idea what happened to 2010).  I stick to the old questions to remain consistent, so it might look a little different from the version she does today.  To sum it up Tessie style, in 2012 I was sadder, thinner, and poorer.  Definitely a depressing year but 2013 WILL be better (it HAS TO BE, right?)   

1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?

This is the first year I met up with internet friends, attending both PJs@TJ’s and the Blathering.  I also had coffee with Ashley, who lives 2 minutes away from me (she is ADORABLE, you guys, and such a sweetheart).  I did the Couch to 5K program, ran 5.5 miles in the Akron Marathon Relay, and ran a legit 5K.  I lost 20 pounds from stress and went to therapy for the first time.  I had amazing conversations with my beautiful, intelligent daughter while getting millions of kissies from my last baby ever.  


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I made four resolutions last year: 

  1. I will keep a cleaner house.  I think I spectacularly failed at this one until a few months ago, and but I have my act together now and have made new habits that will carry on in 2013.  

  2. I will be a better wife, mom, daughter, and friend.  I was the best wife and mother I knew how to be this year.  I could have been a better daughter and friend - I had a lot to deal with emotionally and all I could really do was focus my efforts on my immediate family.  I will work on extending this to everyone else in my life in 2013, especially my mom (she deserves it!)

  3. I will be more thoughtful.  I think this was probably a fail.  I did a little better about acknowledging birthdays and anniversaries and sending thank you cards, but I still have a long way to go.  Again, I was pretty focused on my immediate family in 2012.  

  4. I will care more about my appearance.  This was a definite yes, what with the makeup craziness.  Clothing-wise, I think Elizabeth was instrumental in helping me understand what works for my body and what doesn't.  I'd say 95% of the time I look put together at work, which is about a 75% improvement. 

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

This is so weird, but I'm going to have to say no!  Every baby I know was born in 2011, and is well on their way to not being called a baby anymore (internet babies excluded).  [Edited: Oh my goodness, I forgot about my coworker and friend N's little boy!  There were 4 of us that all went through our first pregnancies together, so I keep wanting to group him in with the 2011 second babies.  Which is silly, he's still a wee little guy.  Aww.  Congrats to N!]

4. Did anyone close to you die?

Yes, my hilarious and talented uncle Joe passed away in January.  I miss him.

5. What countries did you visit?

Just this one.  I went to Phoenix, Hilton Head, Atlantic City, and New Orleans for fun, and to Columbus, Chicago, and Harrisburg for work.

6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?

I would like to have peace - no more stress, please.  And strength, which I think I definitely exhibited in 2012, but it's my word of the year so obviously I'd like more of it :)

7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

August 11 and September 3 were fairly traumatic for unbloggable reasons.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Not freaking out when I had every right to, and staying strong for my family.  I am also ridiculously proud of participating in the relay.  

9. What was your biggest failure?

Not letting things go as quickly as I would like to.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

My hip has been wonky ever since the marathon, and it feels like I have been in a constant state of illness since October (omg the great barforama of 2012, let's never experience THAT again).

11. What was the best thing you bought?

Funny, I can't think of any single major purchase this year.  I can think of lots of makeup examples, but I am saving those for a Best of 2012 post.  Probably Brave, because Merida is the best princess ever and I could watch it a zillion times (which is handy, as that is approximately how many times Adriana will want to watch it).

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

My brother - he finally quit Barnes & Noble after seven(!) years and got a legit design job.  I couldn't be more proud of him!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

Keeping it blank this year (not for lack of an answer).

14. Where did most of your money go?

Most of my discretionary spend went to travel, makeup, and clothes, the rest to household bills and stuff for the girls.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

My bloggy gatherings!

16. What song will always remind you of 2012?

We did an embarrassing amount of family dance parties to Call Me Maybe and Gangham Style.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Sadder
– thinner or fatter? Thinner
– richer or poorer? Poorer

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

I wish I had been able to identify some large issues early on in the year before things got out of control.  But honestly, I don't think I could have done anything differently, so I'll say cleaning.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?


Losing my patience with Adriana, and dwelling on the past.    

20. How did you spend Christmas?

We did 6 Christmases in 3 days.  It was exhausting.  I will try to do a quickie recap soon.

21. Did you fall in love in 2012?

No, but I think I realized that I truly do love Justin unconditionally.  And he knows it too now, so that's good.    

22. What was your favorite TV program?

I probably get the most enjoyment out of Hart of Dixie and the Bachelor/ette/Pad.  We just got Hulu Plus so I'm catching up on the Real World and The Challenge.  I love crap tv.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? 

There is a certain person who will probably get punched in the vagina if she ever crosses my path.

24. What was the best book you read?

Ooh, I read a lot of good ones this year but I'd have to say I most enjoyed Gone Girl, In the Woods, 50 Shades, and Bared to You.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

Hmm.  Not a single musical discovery comes to mind, yet again.  Why am I so laaaaaaaaaame?

26. What did you want and get? 

A third week of vacation. All of the makeup and beauty subscriptions a junkie could ask for.  An electric blanket.  Lots of great memories with my girlies.      

27. What did you want and not get?

The Urban Decay Naked Basics palette.  A promotion. Kept promises.  A family vacation with my husband.

28. What was your favorite film this year?

Brave was probably my favorite.  We also saw and enjoyed Looper, the Hunger Games (was that this year?), and Wreck it Ralph.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I was 33. I should probably start blogging about my birthdays, as I can't remember what we did this year either.  I do recall the license plate fiasco though.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

A time machine.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?

Boots, tights, and dresses in the winter, skinny jeans and t shirts in the summer.

32. What kept you sane?

I didn't do a very good job of staying sane, but you guys certainly helped.  For everyone who was there for me this year, you have no idea how much it means to me.  Thank you for listening, for not judging, and for offering your honest opinions.

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Christian Grey?  Haha.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Too self centered to be stirred, even in an election year.  I suck.

35. Who did you miss?

I had to spend a few weeks away from my family due to work this year, and I missed them like crazy.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

Too many to count!  Megan, Lacey, and Heather, my e-bffs, definitely get a shout out though :)

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012.

No matter how bad life can fucking suck, I'm strong enough to handle it, and it does get better.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

No. 


There you have it! If you also do this meme, link to your post in the comments!

6 comments:

Susan said...

I love these questions. They are great reflections. I did one similar last year. I didn't this year. I've started it about 5x, but I feel like I haven't done much this year or excitement to report. I certainly would never want to be on the receiving end of #23!

I'm wishing you a great 2013!!! :)

Ginger said...

I love reading these from everyone every year. I did mine the other day, and I forgot how long it takes me to remember my year..I really should start taking notes. (Like, hey, this thing I've heard of called a blog maybe? HA!)http://rambleramble.com/2012/12/29/2012-a-year-in-review/

Anyway, here's wishing you a 2013 that ends with happier thinner richer!

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

I'm so sorry that this year was so rough - but man, you have a great attitude about it. I hope that 2013 brings you lots of happiness and, you know, more money. We could all use more of both. :-)

StephLove said...

I will do the short version:

Sadder
Neither thinner nor fatter
Richer (just a little)

Congrats on the marathon. That's quite an accomplishment.

Valerie Metzger said...

This was fun to read, I am going to fill one out myself. It's especially nice of you to give your brother a shout-out! The marathon relay was a BIG DEAL, you did all the hard work organizing it before the actual running, so great job! Hopefully next year you will be in the "happier" column, you are certainly being proactive about it.

Susie said...

Maybe sadder, thinner, poorer, but you should be proud of yourself for 2012, too. You are a strong lady, and I am just so impressed with you.