Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Holiday Meme


I stole this from Ginger, who stole it from others, but am posting it with my friend Becca in mind. She was asking me a lot of awesome Christmas questions the other day and I promised her I'd post about how the holidays go at la casa Diniwilk.  
1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate all the way.  The richer the better.  
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree? All but the biggest are wrapped.  Unwrapped presents have a bow.  See?  (OMG TINY LUCY)

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
 Colored lights for both.  But I am really particular about them.  I like jewel toned lights instead of primary colors, and favor the small bulbs over the big ones.  The color has to be really intense; if the bulbs are too weak, they go back to the store. 

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
 No.

5. Tacky holiday sweaters: yea or nay?
 Only at my friend Nicole's annual ugly sweater party.  

6. What is your favorite holiday dish?
 I can't really think of any one thing that stands out.  Like Ginger, we have the same type of food at Christmas as we do at Thanksgiving, and it is all equally delicious.  

7. Favorite holiday memory as a child?
 The year my cousin told me the truth about Santa (see below), my mom wrapped a present in a smashed in box and attached a note from Santa, apologizing because Rudolph had stepped on the package.  I still remember going from completely not believing in Santa to wondering if maybe my cousin was wrong.  

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
 My cousin's mom told her the truth, and she passed the info on to me.  We were FOUR.  

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
 Just our matching Christmas jammies (see #16 below).  

10. How do you decorate your Christmas tree?
 Colorful lights, jewel toned plastic ornaments (kid and cat friendly!), random ornaments we collected each year (baby's first Christmas, etc.).  I'm looking forward to adding some homemade ones as the girls get older.  

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
 I love it for like a week and then I'm over it.  No one in Northeast Ohio knows how to drive in the snow, despite there being a crapton of it every year.  Last year's mild winter was AWESOME.  

12. Can you ice skate?
 Yep.  This was my "gym credit" in college.  I can't wait until the girls are old enough to go.  

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
 I always loved getting games as a kid (Operation in 3rd grade, Topple in 4th).  Books were always a big hit.  My first discman in 7th grade and stereo in 9th.  Justin gets an A+ for getting me Birchbox last year.  

14. What’s the most important thing about the holidays for you?
 Spending time with family, duh.  I am also loving seeing everything fresh and new through my girls' eyes.  I just want them to be happy.  

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert?
 I can't think of any Christmas-specific desserts.  I love pumpkin pie and pumpkin muffins well into the Christmas season.  

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
 Matching jammies for all 11 of us on my side of the family.  My mom skipped last year and I'm going to be SO SAD if it's a dead tradition.  I will definitely be picking this one up on my own for the 4 of us if she's done with it.  Also my mom's hot chocolate with chocolate shavings on top Christmas morning.  Yum.  

17. What tops your tree?
 Some sort of janky star type ornament.  

18. Which do you prefer: giving or receiving?
Giving.  Nothing beats finding that perfect gift for someone - something they would never buy themselves.  

19. Candy Canes: Yuck or Yum?
 Yum, but I don't go out of my way to eat them or anything.  We found some sweet tart ones last year that were delicious.  

20. Favorite Christmas show?
 Elf.  

21. Saddest Christmas Song? 
Don't know.  I actually avoid listening to Christmas music at all costs.  

22. What is your favorite Christmas song?
 See above.  I KNOW, I KNOW.  I'm weird.  I just don't like Christmas music and find it annoying that it's forced on me everywhere I go.  

2 comments:

Preppy Mama said...

So funny, ice skating was my gym credit in college and people always laugh at me when I tell them that!

StephLove said...

Maybe you should try the Little Drummer Boy Challenge.