Tuesday, December 11, 2012

December 2012 Ipsy / Glam Bag Review - Part 1

Warning - this is more of an unboxing than a full review, but I'm just so excited I couldn't wait!  Mini product reviews to come later!!


Okay, so I have to admit that I totally cheated this month and looked at ALL of the ipsy spoilers, so I pretty much knew what was coming.  I even suspected there would be a 6th item AND that it would be the Urban Decay Naked Skin, based on ipsy facebook comments and Michelle Phan's video.  I am such a dork.  I just find these subscription services to be SO FUN, and now that I'm down to just 3 monthlies, I stretch out the excitement as much as I can.  

Date of Arrival: December 10, 2012

Packaging: Standard pink bubble wrap mailer (not pictured).  This month's makeup bag is a different shape than the past year's worth of ipsy/myglam bags - it's a few inches deeper, so it will be able to hold a lot more.  It's also less cheaply made, even compared to the nicer bags we've received since ipsy took over.  



Hmm...did I miss something?  Since switching to ipsy, none of the previous myglam stylists have been on the cards.  Now we have 4 of the original 5 on the justfab booklet, but Bethany is missing and has been replaced with Chriselle and Heart.  I have no idea who they are, as my youtube makeup video days are pretty much over (I was spending waaaaaaaay too much money when I watched them so I had to quit cold turkey).  I am curious enough to try to figure out what happened though.


Just in time for Christmas, ipsy added the ability to give someone a gift subscription.  Hopefully that means a referral program is right around the corner too.  I have recommended ipsy to anyone who will listen, so it would be nice to get some points or a free bag in exchange for my undying devotion.  


Theme: Haute Holiday.  I think the contents of the bag are perfect for the theme.  I just wish it came before Justin's work Christmas party, because this would have been perfect with my dress (it's redder than pictured) and shoes (the gold ones).  

Contents: Mai Couture highlighter paper (25 sheets), Mirabella Face and Eye Primer, Be a Bombshell Lip Gloss in Hot Mess (ha!), Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Pencil in Zero, Urban Decay Naked Skin Beauty Balm, and NYX Ultra Pearl Mania in Mink Pearl

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
I am actually SO EXCITED about this bag that I don't want to take half assed pictures while swatching stuff at my desk.  I want to actually take my time and do it up right.  So I will post pictures and reviews later, and link it here.  

I'm pretty sure the bags were all identical except there were 10 options for the NYX loose eyeshadow.  And from the picture I saw, the 10 they chose were all amazing and perfect for the Haute Holiday theme.  Once my Project 10 Pan no buy is over, I'm buying the other 9 ($2.99 at Ulta, and you can usually get them buy one get one if you are patient).  

Did you all get the Naked Skin sample too?  I noticed when I checked my email to confirm the theme that it said I was selected to receive it because I am "a trusted influencer in the ipsy community".  Are you reading my blog, ipsy?  Or do you just say that to all the girls?  (I love you.)

Value: 
Okay, so the $72.82 value I calculated is going with the shadiest people on amazon - if I bought the Mai Couture and the Mirabella from legit sellers, it bumps it to a whopping $82.23.  FOR A TEN DOLLAR BAG.  A+++++++

**Update: While Amazon has Be A Bombshell for $18, it goes for $14 on their website, so subtract $4.  The value is still amazing.  

Overall impression of the bag: Even though I haven't tried any of it out, I clearly could not be more thrilled with the bag.  I can honestly say I have never once been this excited for a birchbox.   If you ladies ignore me for the rest of the year, do yourselves a favor and at least subscribe next December, because the anniversary bags are AWESOME!  

Overall impression of the service: I see from my comments last month that I'd bump ipsy up from an A- to an A if they handled the brow gel properly.  Hmm.  They responded to my email super fast, but just to say that they were aware of the fact that a bunch of the gel had settled to the bottom of the containers and was hard to get out (okay...but mine still comes up empty after a month of trying).  Kind of a "sorry about your luck" response.  So I'd say Birchbox wins in the customer service, as they credited me 100 points ($10) for my empty Dr. Jart sample.  I'm keeping ipsy at an A-.  

***UPDATE:  REVIEWS HERE!!!!

Don't forget to enter the Julep contest for $432 worth of polish and products here (be sure to mention the Diniwilks!!!!), and to stop on over to my contest afterwards.  Ends 12/31.

7 comments:

CharlieSue said...

I didn't get the Naked Skin Beauty Balm so I think it IS because you're awesome and their favorite!

Katie Wilkes said...

Haven't gotten mine yet! It says it's coming on the 13th :( SO excited about the eye liner!

Preppy Mama said...

I didn't get the Naked Skin sample either. I am totally thrilled with this months bag. I think it totally beat out Birchbox this month.

Vivianna said...

wait a minute, I didn't get the Naked sample either, and it is not on the website so how interesting?Great review/unboxing!

Jessica said...

So jealous! I really should sign up...

yessie (cinnamonandzoeykisses) said...

I didn't get the UD Naked sample either:(

Amber said...

I didn't get the Naked sample. Luckily I have one from UD when I ordered the Naked Basics Palette :)