Thursday, December 20, 2012

Made Cake From Scratch, Am Superwoman

I am 33 years old, but I think I spend a lot of time as a college student in my head.  I don't know what it is about baking a cake from scratch, but, like cooking thanksgiving, this is one of those things that makes me feel like a real grown-up and someone who is actually qualified to be a wife and mother.  If you are also lacking a lot of these moments, find a recipe that involves creaming butter and sugar, or whipping egg whites into stiff peaks.  Laughing at the innuendos makes you lose points, but your success upon completion (heh) totally makes up for it.  And then you have cake.  Win win.       

I added "Bake a birthday cake for Justin" to my 101 in 1001 list and my 2012 to do list because he once made an offhand comment about how no one has ever baked him a cake.  It was a long time ago, and I don't remember WHY no one ever baked him a cake (storebought cake?  brownies instead?  i have no idea), but it stuck.  I really wanted to bake him a cake for his 30th birthday.  And boxed cake doesn't count.  

I am one of those people who registered for a KitchenAid mixer because everyone registers for a KitchenAid mixer in a fit of laser-gun toting power, not because I am actually knowledgeable or non-lazy enough to use it.  So when I went to bake the cake at like 10pm on a Monday night, it seemed like too much work to finally open the box (assuming I could find it) for the first time in three and a half years of marriage so I could teach myself how to use the damn thing.  So not only did I bake a cake from scratch, I mixed it with my own two hands.  I am superwoman.

German chocolate cake is his favorite, so I went with this recipe.  Justin couldn't find any cake flour (what, you don't send your husband out to buy the ingredients for his own cake?), so I used all purpose flour.  I also ran out of butter (oops) so I used some country crock in the filling.  Gross, right?  I can't imagine why it didn't set properly.  And was a bizarre yellow color.

I also ran into some issues with the chocolate - I kind of burnt it so it didn't really drizzle.  Whatever.  Erica liked this picture on instagram so clearly I am a cooking success.  The only thing that could top that is if Martha Stewart herself gave me her blessing.  

Wire racks are for sissies
Despite all of the issues, this cake was fucking delicious.  Look, even the hubs agrees!


And also, I am a dork.

7 comments:

Alicia Curley said...

I live and die by my KitchenAid. When it's not available, I'd rather not bake. So I'm impressed by your two handed craftiness. Cake does look delish!

Erica said...

Wow. I think box cake is fancy and home made so this is very impressive.

StephLove said...

Congrats on the cake. It looks good and I'm sure he appreciated the sentiment behind it.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

It doesn't matter where you got the recipe, who bought the ingredients or how the ingredients came together to make the cake ... so long as the intended recipient loves it, that's all that matters. Nice job!

Erica said...

Haaaaaa I am so very ALMOST Martha Stewart. I'm sure she would approve as well.

Cooking Recipes said...

Nice i like this blog posts thanks for sharing hope you will be post more informative information here

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

This has been on my list of Cooking Goals for a long time, and I have yet to tackle it. Congrats on making something that turned out to be so beautiful and so delicious!