Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Race Around The Park 5K / Running All Winter (RAW) Goal

Long time readers may recall that one of my 101 in 1001 goals was to complete a Couch to 5K program and then to run in a 5K, complete with a T-shirt and running bib and finish line with a timer and all that official type stuff.  I ran 5.5 miles back in September as part of the Akron Marathon Relay, which is about as official as it gets, but that was not technically a 5K so I didn't count it.  I planned the Couch to 5K program to end with the Knights of Columbus Race Around the Park, because it's in the very neighborhood I train in (my own!) and I thought it would be fun for the girls to see me off. 

This race is SO FLIPPING CUTE.  They have a family fun run before the 5K, and there were WEE CHILDREN running the mile.  Adriana kept getting mad that she couldn't run too.  Maybe when she's 5?  How young is too young for a mile?  NO JOKE, there were some 3 and 4 year olds doing it!  I definitely plan to participate every year, either in the family run, the 5K, or (gasp) both.  

We headed over on foot.  If you have two closely spaced kids, I can't recommend the Joovy enough.  Best stroller ever.  

 I tried to stretch a bit while people gathered at the start line.  
 I say "tried to" because Adriana was having a super clingy day.  She was still pretty mad she didn't get to run with me.  
 Lucia was just happy to be there.  
The race went well.  The only hitch was that I thought from the map on the website that we were turning left first, and everyone went right.  Oops.  That meant that the times and places I told Justin to wait to cheer me on with the girls were all wrong and they didn't end up seeing me run. I was having hip problems again and ran pretty slow, but I did it (and snapped some standard Laura red faced pics at the finish line to prove it).  
I know without a doubt that I can shave a few minutes off this time next year. The trick is going to be lots of hip strengthening exercises and keeping up with running over the winter.  A fellow Akron blogger, Susan, just posted her RAW (Running All Winter) goal, and I plan to join her.  

I want to make sure my goal is realistic enough that I will actually accomplish it (unlike December's 30 day shred goal, which I knew wasn't happening even as I was writing it, thanks to my old lady hip).  I think I could reasonably do 30 miles in December, January, and February.  10 days per month of one mile on the treadmill is totally doable and won't make me stabby (I HATE treadmill running).  

Let me know if you want to join me in the RAW challenge!  You can also link up here.    


I have lots of thoughts on the C25K program and some apps and other tips and tricks that helped me train...more on this soon!  (Mostly because my memory sucks and I need to write it down before I have to relearn it all next year.)


7 comments:

Pickles and Dimes said...

Great job! I think you and I are running twins. I run about the same pace as you, my face gets super red, and my hip has been a beast lately. Please share any hip-stretching and C25K tips!

Alicia Curley said...

Congrats on the 5k! I am a red faced running wonder too :) Maybe we should start a blogger network just for ladies like us!

And I'm so excited you're joining RAW! I'll try and help with the motivation throughout the harsh midwest winter days!

susan said...

I'm a red faced runner, people always ask me if I'm OK :) I'm glad it's not just me! Glad you're taking on the RAW challenge! Cant' wait to see how it goes this year!

Nowheymama said...

Heck, I'm a red-faced walker. Perhaps I should commit to WAW.

Susie said...

Nice job! I've been running at least a little bit since the Blathering, compared to before, when I would run only when being chased (frisbee). I'm thinking about trying to keep running 1-2 x a week all winter... maybe I should commit to it!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I come to you by way of seeing your comments on a number of blogs I already read - surely that's a sign that I'm supposed to read your blog, too, right?

Given this is the first post I'm reading of yours, forgive me for any potential missteps I might make (i.e., foot in mouth)...

I like your idea of taking 10 days/month and running one mile each day. That seems totally reasonable. I used to run marathons (yes, plural), but after having a baby in 2010, my body has completely changed, I still have a lot of extra weight and I just haven't been able to get back into running the way I once did. I just started the C25K program this week (and definitely want to hear your input on apps - please!).

april said...

congratulations! I really need to start running again. Really. January, I swear. :)