Friday, January 25, 2013

Reader Request: Full Coverage Foundations (Rosacea Friendly!) + tarte TSV

I recently offered up my consulting services, based on my extensive YouTube beauty guru watching and sample box purchasing experience.  I am by no means any sort of makeup expert, but I love doing the research and finding some options at different price points.  If you have any requests, comment below and I'll add you to the list! 

Today's request for full coverage foundations came from my friend Jessica, who has some similar skin issues to mine.  Piece of cake!  

This is right up your alley and you kind of already covered it in your best of 2012, but I want a heavier foundation that can cover up redness and dark spots. I don't have rosacea, but I have a ton of acne scarring and pimples that last for weeks.

Or maybe a heavy duty concealer instead? Right now I use Miracle Skin Perfecter concealer and I looooove it. But with only a BB cream for foundation (oops) the combination of the two isn't enough.


Just my own two cents before I get into the recommendations...I really do highly recommend the Kiehl's dark spot corrector, discussed here. It is seriously a miracle worker, lightening up my dark spots from past breakouts in a matter of days.  I would also suggest reserving the BB Cream for days you are just staying in with the kidlets, or maybe using it more like a primer in combination with a foundation.  If you are trying to cover up redness, those American BB creams won't cut it.  Japanese ones might work though - Jen at frmheadtotoe has the best Japanese BB cream overview ever.  Watch both videos if you are interested in learning about more. 

What I'm currently using:

As discussed in my 2012 beauty favorites, my holy grail combination is MAC Studio Fix powder ($27) and foundation ($27); MAC Pro Longwear concealer ($18).  If I'm crazy red and want a truly flawless finish, I will literally paint my face with the concealer using this Sonia Kashuk pointed blending brush from target ($4), and then use the foundation more sparingly with this duo fibre multipurpose brush ($11).    I set it using this powder brush ($12) and just the tiniest bit of the MAC powder.  I know using brushes is a pain in the ass, and I frequently forego this step in my daily routine, but it really is the best way to get perfect makeup.  A good primer will also help make your makeup last all day.      

Julie asked me what the difference is between the Studio Fix line and the Pro Longwear line...there are really good comparisons here and here, but what it basically boils down to is you should go for Studio Fix if you have dryer skin, and Pro Longwear if you are more oily.  

When I'm not going for a flawless look and just want to look like a normal, non-red human being, I either use Missha BB Cream ($20) or tarte amazonian clay 12 hour full coverage foundation (discussed below), usually applied with my fingers.  I like the Missha, but not enough to repurchase.  It goes on gray but looks more natural as it oxidizes - I still like to use a powder to get it closer to my natural color though.  It has decent staying power, but doesn't quite make it to the end of the work day without pooling a bit.

Cheap: 

Hands down the best drugstore full coverage foundation I have tried is the Revlon Colorstay.  I use the normal to dry formula, but they have a combination to oily one as well.  It rivals the MAC in staying power...maybe not 24 hours as they claim, but it will certainly get you through the work day and maybe even happy hour.  I think the reason that I prefer MAC to this is that the MAC matches my skin a bit better and doesn't dry as quickly, but if you are looking for a cheap full coverage foundation this is a really awesome product.

Not so cheap:

Really, the MAC stuff I recommended above is the best in this price range.  All of the other good stuff is more expensive.  

Spendy: 

I was having trouble deciding between the Estee Lauder Double Wear ($36) and the Make Up For Ever Mat Velvet Plus ($36).  I ended up going with the MUFE because that's what MakeupByTiffanyD loves and I totally trust her judgement.  Plus I feel like more YouTubers in general mention the MUFE.  Good reviews by people who prefer the MUFE over doublewear are here and here.  I have never tried either of them, but they are definitely on my list!  

Spendy, but there is a really good upcoming deal that makes it more affordable and too unpassupable for this girl:

I have recently fallen in love with the tarte amazonian clay 12 hour full coverage foundation ($38).  Which leads me to a confession.  For the second time since posting my Project 10 pan, I have broken my no buy and bought something I didn't need.  I put a TON of thought into this decision though, and decided it was worth it.  You see, LePooke posted a video about the upcoming Journey to Natural Beauty TSV, and I just couldn't pass it up.  I have done similar tarte QVC deals before where I bought a set on autodelivery and get new shades throughout the year, and I just love it.  What a great way to try out what tarte has to offer!  And this one has the amazonian clay blushes, which I have been dying to try.  So, yeah.  The TSV is on February 5, but you can get it early.  

If you aren't willing to shell out $60, you might want to try out this deal where you get the foundation, the gifted mascara (one of my top 2 all time favorite mascaras) and the maracuja oil for only $32.  Amazing!  

Anyway, I have only been testing this foundation for about a week, but I am already in love.  It is SO CREAMY.  I swatched it on my hand and Adriana was like "ooh, mama, your hand is so soft!" as she helped me rub it in (haha).  It lasts all day and the finish is beautiful.  This one might oust MAC from my #1 position in 2013.  The down side is that out of all of the options listed here, it has the fewest shades (only 5!)


Money is not an object:

Again, I have never tried the Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation ($43), but people seem to give it high ratings.  It made Marlena's Top 10 Foundations, and she's another YouTuber that seems pretty trustworthy.  She says it's creamy, which it freaking better be for only 1.18 oz of product at that price.    

And Jessica - if you can hang in there until PJ's at TJ's, I'm bringing an unused tarte Miracle of Maracuja foundation for you (and those jeans we talked about).  I don't love it like the tarte I recommended here, but maybe it would work for you?  

Have you found your holy grail foundation yet? What is it???

UPDATE: I found an awesome new product for rosacea since writing this post, check it out!!

8 comments:

Katie Wilkes said...

I have fair skin that get gets red and irritated easily. I've had excellent luck with the Missha BB Cream. It definitely provides way more coverage than American BB creams. I usually layer bare minerals foundation over that. My mom just bought that tarte full coverage foundation, though, and she LOVES it.

Susie said...

Help me help me! My face is SO FREAKING DRY and I don't know what to do with it. I have always used an exfoliating face wash in the shower (Neutrogena), every other day or every third day, and then moisturizer with SPF every morning (Aveeno, Positively Ageless or Positively Radiant, depending on season). Always, like, for the past 10 years. And this dry winter plus pregnancy (plus not being 20?), it is no longer working. My face is flaking off en masse. AND I'm still breaking out like a teenager. FIX MEEEE!

PinkieBling said...

So far, my very favorite is the Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Cover. I guess it's considered medium coverage, but I feel like I need quite a bit of coverage and I really like it. Not only do they have a ton of shades, but they tell you what undertones each shade matches. Perfect! It's honestly the first time I've felt like a foundation REALLY matches my skin. I tried the Mat Velvet+ but didn't like it quite as well. I can't remember why. I tried the Amazonian Clay, too! I liked them all, but the HD ended up being my foundation lobster. I use it with the Smashbox Camera Ready BB cream. It claims to be oil-controlling, and I think it really helps. Plus it has SPF 35, and the HD foundation has none. I also use less foundation when I use the BB cream first.

I have weird skin. It's super oily (omg), but also doesn't exfoliate well on its own, so if I'm not careful, my forehead gets both really rough and really greasy. A lot of stuff that seems to work for the rest of the Internet doesn't work for me (hi, Philosophy! I really wanted to love you!). I dunno.

My favorite skin care line is Mario Badescu. They make targeted products for most skin conditions, and while they might be a bit spendy, their stuff lasts FOREVER.

By the way, this is fun! Keep 'em comin'!

Ashley // Our Little Apartment said...

So, I got the Laura Mercier stuff and returned it (YAY SEPHORA) because I wasn't dazzled!

PinkieBling said...

Oooh, turns out the Tarte foundation I tried was Smooth Operator, *not* the Amazonian Clay. I might have to try it!

Julie said...

So I am one of those people who is constantly on the search for the perfect foundation and I have kept coming back to the same one for over ten years now: Estee Lauder Double Wear. The list of everything I have tried is long but many of the ones you have listed here are included (Revlon Color Stay, Makeup Forever, Mat Velvet, MAC Pro Longwear). I don't know why I have strayed away from Double Wear but I always think I can find better until I wear it again and remember how much I like it. It's definitely better for oily skin and is full coverage and long lasting. Those are all the things I look for in a foundation. This one fits the bill well.

Jessica said...

Ok, so all week (last week, I suppose) I've been analyzing what I use and what I *should* use. We're on a no-spend thing right now so while I almost bought that Tarte three-piece set, I ultimately didn't. I think I am going to try the Revlon colorstay. I'm nervous buying something from the drugstore!

Primers...sigh. I really wish I could use them. My face is kind of a bitch and breaks out immediately when I do. I tried again recently, wondering if maybe I just didn't get them washed off well enough before, but I again broke out the day after using a primer. (Smashbox this time, but I've tried MANY.)

Allison Marie said...

I'm a little late to discover this post but...

I have a frustrating case of rosacea. My skin always has a rosy tint in the cheeks, where people rave my "healthy glow". But if I have the slightest change in emotion my cheeks get super hot and deep splotchy red.

Because of this I found the Laura Mercier foundation and fell in love with it.

The consistency is quite nice. It's creamy but feels like it breathes. You can layer as little or much as you like. The coverage is pretty full so I do a thin layer all over my face and then add another thin layer over my rosacea areas and am good to go. It stays put for probably 12+ hours.

Yes, it is pricey but it's effective enough for me to be loyal to it for 5 years. I wear it every single day and a bottle lasts me about 3 months, maybe longer.