Friday, February 1, 2013

January 2013 Beauty Favorites

I have always thought it would be fun to do a monthly favorites featuring the best of beauty, fashion, food, home, and entertainment, but was always too lazy to go through with it.  I have been on a bit of a blogging tear lately, and my OCD side likes starting in January instead of the middle of the year.  I was going to do all of the favorites in one post but it was getting REALLY long so I'm splitting it into beauty and non-beauty.  


  • Frownies Eye Gels ($23): I got these in my December Birchbox and I just love them.  It is very rare that I actually buy something from BB, but I knew the second I put these one that I needed more.  They feel so cool and refreshing, it's the perfect way to get that spa day feeling right on your couch.  Honestly, that is why I love them; I can't really say whether or not they are actually DOING anything other than making me feel pampered.  Each one is good for 3-5 uses, but you can definitely stretch that out if you store them properly and make sure you always wash your face first.  After use, I spray them with my Melvita Rose Water from the June Birchbox and then pop them in the fridge - so glad I finally found a use for it!  These seem like a splurge at $23 for 3 sets, but it works out to a dollar a use for me.  I'd definitely pay that for this experience!  Some day when my no buy is over I want to try out these frownies patches for the giant divot between my eyebrows.   Oh, the joys of having an aging bitchface!
  • Kiehl's Dark Spot Corrector ($50) and Rosa Arctica Eye Cream ($46): I already talked about the corrector at length over here, but this was really a standout product for me this month.  You see that trio of old acne spots on my chin in the pic above?  Gone.  I wasn't sure how I felt about the eye cream at first other than "it's nice...", but today I looked at myself in the mirror and was astonished to see that my undereye area was really plump and my fine lines are definitely less noticeable.  So my first ever eye cream earned a mention too.  

  • Nailtini Nail Polish in Frappe ($11): Best nude ever.  I painted my nails this color like 3 times already, which NEVER happens in a single month.  Full review here.  
  • Tarte Journey to Natural Beauty Set ($60): I talked about buying this set over here...Now that I've had it for a couple of weeks, I have really fallen in love with every last product (except the self tanner, they aren't my thing).  Tarte is definitely one of my top three makeup brands (the other two are Urban Decay and benefit), and I just love getting it through the QVC deals or in my Test Tubes.  
    • The foundation is amazing, creamy and gorgeous.  
    • This was my first amazonian clay blush (shade: fearless), and now I see what everyone is raving about.  It stays all day!  I was SO SAD when I saw that the original New Beauty Test Tube (the one I cancelled) had a full size tarte blush (and a million other amazing products) in it this quarter, so hubs is getting it for me for Valentine's day (woohoo!!!)
    • The brow pencil is a great 3-in-1 product (there is a pencil, spoolie, and concealer/highlighter) so it's perfect for travel or to stick in my purse.  
    • I am not normally a lipstick person, but this amazonian butter lipstick (shade: plummy rose) is AWESOME - it really does go on like butter, and it's a very flattering shade.  It also has that same awesome minty smell as the lipsurgence balm stains.   
    • The brush is thicker than what I'm used to, but I like it.  It's a lot sturdier than the crappy brush that came in my What Has Your Makeup Done For You Lately tarte set.
    • Lights, Camera, Flashes isn't as good as tarte's Gifted, but it's still better than 98% of the other mascaras out there.  
  • Julep Big Red Bow Set: I received my Big Red Bow set this month, thanks to you guys. I know I was annoying about asking you guys to enter and mention me (I was so obsessed!), but winning the contest really helped boost my spirits when I was low.  So THANK YOU.  For real.  And I will try to be less annoying in the future.  I'll be honest - I have mostly just sat there petting the box saying "my precious...my precious".  However, there are three products currently in heavy rotation from this set: Reveal, the Essential Cuticle Oil, and the crystal nail file.  

    • Reveal ($38)(holy shitballs, I didn't know it was so expensive)(please do not spend that much money on this) is a nail growth serum.  Jury's still out as to whether or not it works, but I'm enjoying the routine.  I like feeling like I am actually being proactive about my paper thin nails instead of just complaining about it.  
    • I LOVE the Essential Cuticle Oil ($18).  It smells fantastic - I can smell the lavender and almond oils and something I can't quite put my finger on.  It has a roller ball applicator, which prevents me from slopping oil all over the place.  It absorbs nicely and DEFINITELY makes my gross nail beds look better.  The only downside is that I really do have to use it consistently (I usually do it twice a day) or I almost feel like my nails are worse than when I do nothing - peeling skin everywhere.  But it might just be that I forgot what life before cuticle oil was like.    
    • Where have you been all my life, Crystal Nail File ($6)?  Never going back to the cheapos again.  
  • Jouer Lip Enhancer / Conditioning Lip Treatment ($14): This is really just an honorable mention, since I used my sample from the October Birchbox for three days and was TOTALLY LOVING IT, so of course I forgot to take it out of my pocket before throwing it in the washer.  I don't really think of it as an enhancer (no plumping effects), but it had a great scent, texture, and color, and my lips felt very nourished.  I won't have to pay for another lip product until approximately 2020, but this one is on my list if I ever run out.  
More non-beauty favorites to come later.  

What products did you love in January?  

1 comment:

CharlieSue said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your beauty reviews. They make me excited to try to the stuff I get (especially that Frappe polish!) and it's so FUN. You're the best.