Friday, April 5, 2013

Diniwilk Stew

  •  I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.  For now, anyway.  I missed you guys and can't wait to catch up on all of your blogs!  I have been putting in 80+ hours at work because I was working on a major case down in Columbus for the past 3 weeks.  I would drive down Sunday night, work from 7:30am until 10pm or later all week, and drive home friday night.  You might remember that I had to do the same thing last spring and it was hell on my marriage.  Thankfully, the hubs and I are in a completely different place now and all is well.  I am so lucky to have parents who are willing to pitch in when I travel and a husband who is capable of handling the single dad gig (in short spurts anyway).  I love, love, love going down for hearings and all of the work that goes into these big cases - it is my favorite part of my job.  Obviously I miss my girls like crazy and that part is not fun, but I do think having a job I love is such an important part of work/life balance, and being able to contribute at work in such a major way definitely gives me bargaining power when it comes time to talk about a promotion.  Hopefully Adriana will forgive me when I'm able to afford to send her to college.  She's more than a little pissed off right now - Columbus is basically a dirty word.  She is also NOT PLEASED that I have to do it all over again for another case in a couple of weeks.  Lucia obviously didn't know why I was gone, and she was SO EXCITED to see me when I'd come home that she didn't know whether to laugh or cry, she she'd just shake and make funny noises while clutching my neck as tight as she could.  It was heartbreaking.  I don't know how people who have to travel year round do it, for reals.  
  • I have no idea how I didn't gain any weight when I was down there (I didn't lose any either, obviously).  Every single meal is ordered for us so we eat a ton of sandwiches and pizza and tacos.  I had every intention of hitting the hotel gym every day, and that did not so much happen.  It's hard to be motivated to work out and eat right when I'm working that many hours.  Bleh.  I am looking forward to Ohio weather turning around so I can start running again.  I plan to use the couch to 10K app again this year, but am totally okay if I only make it to a 5K.  
  • Beauty sub update: I intentionally burned through all of my Julep Jules by ordering the full sets in February and March, and will probably take a break from them for a while.  I'm also considering getting rid of ipsy and birchbox for a bit, but keeping my NewBeauty and QVC test tubes.  The QVC one is up for sale again right now if anyone is interested.  I really love trying out the wen, tarte, and mally stuff in each of the QVC tubes, plus I'm intrigued by the nail primer thingie and the algenist product in this one.  
QVC Test Tube.  You will be mine.  Oh, yes, you will be mine.
  • I am so loving springy nail colors right now.  I am dying to find the perfect pale yellow - please let me know if you have any recommendations!  I am keeping my eye out for Creme Puffs by L'Oreal but none of the stores near me have it in yet.  I am currently rocking Essie's Mint Candy Apple which is a GORGEOUS Swistle-esque robin's egg blue color, but the formula sucks.  It's one of those gloppy, streaky, slow drying, pooling hot messes of a nail polish.  SO FRUSTRATING.  But if you are more patient than I am and don't mind hard to work with polishes, I'd say go for it.  My swatch below isn't very accurate and nothing in google really looks like what is on my hands right now.  I can assure you it's very pretty in real life and possibly worth the frustration.  Also, as per usual, I painted these at work so I haven't cleaned up the cuticles yet.  
Natural light

With flash
  • Adriana (3 1/2) is SO GROWN UP these days.  At least 5 times a day she uses a phrase or a big word that I have no idea how she knows, and it's always in the correct context.  She's also huge - she wears size 5 clothes and size 10 shoe.  She seems to be growing out of her violent / bad listener stage, but is also growing into a super whiny stage.  When she's in a good mood, she is cuddly and sweet and hilarious.  She is soaking up stuff she learns in school like a sponge, and loves looking for American flags and telling me which president is on the dollar.  She is still really girly - it is so funny to take her to the mall because she is SO EXCITED about all of the makeup and perfume.  We walk through sephora swatching things left and right, oohing and aahing like the product whores that we are.  She's also really athletic and can kick and throw a ball with far greater accuracy than I can today.  She is currently obsessed with all things chocolate, the color pink, riding her bike, nail polish, painting, and Scooby Doo.

I had Adriana try on these red and pink glasses when I went in for my appointment.  She wouldn't take them off the whole time.  A few weeks later, she had an eyelash so I told her to make a wish.  "I wish I had glasses."  I kind of do too - she looked so stinking cute in them!

She loves peeps
  • Lucia (20 months) is getting SO BIG, but is still managing to hang on to her babyhood since she isn't learning words as fast as Adriana did and is much more cuddly than A was at this age.  Adriana's big language spurt was at 15 months, but Lucy's didn't hit til about 18 1/2.  She is a little polly parrot now, but still communicates a lot through noises and gestures.  She loves to dance and to make up her own little gibberish songs.  I can often pick out bits and pieces of the abc's or twinkle twinkle, but it's probably only clear to people she's around all of the time.  She LOVES her some Taylor Swift, and cracks us up by singing "trouble, trouble, trouble" every time it's on.  I actually downloaded the album for her the other day, and now she keeps bringing my iPhone ("trouble on?  trouble on?").  Too cute.  She is currently obsessed with brushing her teeth, her binky, her blanket, and Diego (she shocked us the other night when we asked her what she wanted to watch on TV and she asked for him by name).  
Beast eater with a side of bedhead.

Best daycare art ever.  She still loves wearing this thing around the house.  
  • I'm really hoping to have more time for this little space o' mine now.  I really do miss interacting with all of you when I can't be here as often, and I hate that something I love so much is one of the first things that has to go when my life gets crazy.  Thanks for sticking around :)

9 comments:

Michelle said...

So it sounds like you are super busy when you are in Columbus but if you get a free time and want to hang out, let me know! We are in Columbus now too!

Jessica said...

Welcome back! I hope everything goes smoothly for the next case and Adriana makes it through:)

(I just ordered that test tube.)

Swistle said...

That Essie shade catches my eye every. single. time. I go to Target! I'm glad to be forewarned about the gloopy formula; that kind of thing drives me ker-razy.

Susie said...

Yay I'm so happy to see you posting! More Laura and fam! Glad everything is going so well!

Katie Wilkes said...

Yay! Glad you're back. I've been missing your product reviews ;)

d e v a n said...

Love all the pictures, they are getting so big!

Mama Tully said...

I was starting to wonder where you've been! Glad to see a post from you. I'm sure it's so hard to be away for work, but you are so so blessed to have a career you find so fulfilling. It's a rare thing. And even if your girls get upset about it sometimes while they are young, you are showing them that a Mom CAN do it all!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Your description of travel and the nights away from home and the crazy work hours and the lack of exercise and the bad eating habits is exactly why I quit traditional consulting over a decade ago. It wreaked havoc on my livelihood. Glad to hear yours only comes in small doses.

PS - your girls are adorable!

Mama Bub said...

In that last picture of Adriana with the peep, she looks like she could be your clone. Adorable.