Monday, May 13, 2013

May 2013 PopSugar Must Have Review

I decided to cancel my PopSugar Must Have subscription after this month, so OF COURSE the May box was amazing and totally made up for the disappointing April box.  Grr.  

Date of arrival: May 10, 2013


Packaging: Same size box and same packaging as usual - white and bright pink.




Contents and mini reviews: 



The first item in the box was a cheapo little PopSugar tote.  Not the most thrilling item in the world, but either I will use it to house samples or the girls will use it for toys.  Whatever.  




The next item was the Giselle Mid Brim hat by Kooringal ($27.99).  I know a lot of people got black, but mine is graphite.  Definitely looking to trade for the black one.  I like the way the hat folds up without screwing up the floppiness of the brim.  It appears to be well made and easy to wash.  It will be perfect to throw into a beach bag this summer.  I think it's a tad expensive for what it is, but to be honest I would pay that much because this hat is exactly what I would picture when thinking "I need to buy a floppy hat for the beach".  The items I see in the store never match up with what's in my head, so I am always willing to pay a little extra when I find just what I am looking for.   




Next up was the Modern Margarita set by The Modern Cocktail ($7.99).  Not gonna lie - Justin and I zipped through this in about 20 minutes on friday night.  I tried the Blood Orange and Mango ones and they were delicious.  I also tasted a sip of Justin's Strawberry Margarita and thought it was really gross (really fake tasting, like cough syrup), but he loved it.  I elected to do one tequila shot per bottle, and Justin went for two.  I would have preferred if the little bottles were a bit bigger because with only one shot of liquor it was a rather small drink.  I should also warn you that the orange crystals for the rim are NOT SUGAR, they are salt.  Which would have been totally fine except I stuck a fingerful of it in my mouth expecting sugar.  Blech.  I like the convenience of these mixers, so I would repurchase.  



I then opened the Pacifica Color Quench Lip Tint in Guava Berry ($7.00).  I have been a HUGE Pacifica fan ever since I received the amazing blood orange body butter in my January Ipsy Glam Bag, so I was excited to see that both the PopSugar and Ipsy bags this month have Pacifica goodies in them.  This lip quench is very nourishing, natural looking on my lips, and smells/tastes amazing.  I would definitely repurchase.  Enabler alert: If you are interested, the ladies at MUT say that you can get a free lipquench using the code FREEQUENCH25, and you can also stack on FREESHIP25 and BEAUTY20 for free shipping and 20% off (I assume you have you spend $25 but I'm not positive).  



I almost peed when I saw the next item - a Beauty Blender and some Blender Cleanser!!! ($23.95).  I have been wanting one of these bad boys FOREVER, and I am never one of the lucky recipients when Birchbox is sending them out.  I am SO EXCITED that I got one in a sub, because this was something I would definitely be willing to buy at full price.  YAY!!!



I also received a bag of Sweet Chili Tortilla Chips from Way Better Snacks ($1.17).  I ate these so fast I hardly remembered to save some for a picture.  They were absolutely delicious, but I am a lazy snack shopper so I probably wouldn't repurchase them unless it was stocked in my local grocery store.  



Next up was these cute conversation cards made by the one and only Mindy Kaling - Questions I Ask When I Want to Talk About Myself ($13.45).  Although I was super excited to see something from Mindy in here (I have her book, watch her show, I read her blog back when she posted, and she is one of the only celebs I follow on instagram/twitter), I'm not really sure if I would ever actually USE these.  I mean, I don't get to see my friends very often, so we have plenty to talk about when we do.  Maybe I'll bring them to next year's PJs at TJ's or something, since it seems like a slumber party type activity.  



The last item was a $30 gift card to Charm & Chain.  I was excited to see that a) it was a legit gift card with no minimum purchase requirement, and b) there were items for less than $30, so you could use this and only pay shipping if you wanted to.  First, I have to admit that I did use this right away since I didn't want the items I liked to go out of stock after everyone got their card, and I didn't limit myself to $30, thus breaking my no buy.  However, I did show some restraint...I really wanted this black leather triangle necklace from House of Harlow, and I bought this mini key necklace instead.  I think the triangle necklace is so trendy that I could easily find a knockoff if I wanted to, so I'm not too upset about my common sense kicking in and stopping me from spending over $50 after the gift card on that.  However, I am having a bit of buyer's remorse about the key necklace...I still spent a little over $20 on it after the gift card, and, if I'm being 100% honest with myself, I'm not sure that I would have spent that money if I saw the necklace in a store.  So even though this was a well done gift card, I would still MUCH rather have PopSugar send me an item they picked instead of making me feel like I am wasting $30 if I don't shell out some extra cash to get something I picked.  But I'm sure I will love the necklace when it gets here - looks like a perfect piece to wear with my standard black t shirt and jeans uniform.  


Screenshot of photo from Charm and Chain

Value: This box was worth $111.55 ($81.55 if you were able to resist the gift card).  PopSugar promises that the boxes will be worth $100, so they are right on track assuming that you are willing to spend more money to get the jewelry.  I don't know, I still have mixed feelings about this.  I think I am now officially in the "please don't send me gift cards" camp.  I want my box to be worth $100 right when sit my butt on the front porch to open it.  Still, even $80 for a $35 box is pretty decent, considering that this isn't a sample box.  C

Overall impression of the box: Even though I have mixed feelings about the gift card, I love this box.  I will definitely use almost every item in it (and I'll at least flip through the Mindy cards and laugh at her adorableness). I am PSYCHED to (finally) get a beauty blender, and I will get a ton of use out of the beach hat, necklace, and lip quench.  The food was not long for this world, but it was nice to get some snacks that I got to enjoy, as opposed to giving them to the kids.  The January marshmallows, February conversation hearts, and March peeps were not my thing, but Adriana and Lucia LOVED them - one of L's first big words was marshmallow thanks to PSMH.  So yeah.  Excellent box, right up there with March for my all time favorites.  A


Overall impression of the service: After reading through all of the past MUT threads and learning about how PSMH handled the fury over some one size fits all items (the thong and wrap from my unreviewed February and March boxes), I think they are really going out of their way to make customers happy.  I love this service and would never unsubscribe if I had unlimited cash flow.  Even the dud boxes tend to grow on you after a while, and the amazing boxes more than make up for the duds.  This box just makes me happy.  A


Also, 10 lucky winners got a clutch this month...if you got one or see a review of someone who got one, link below!!!


What do you guys think of this box?  If you are a subscriber, what did you pick from Charm & Chain?  And let me know what you think of the beauty blender if you have one!!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I LOVE that hat. I want one. The key necklace is very pretty, too. I wouldn't pay $50 for it, but I'd love to have it.

Have you tried the beauty blender and blender cleanser yet? I've gotten both in Birchboxes, but have never really gotten the hang of it. But I've never you-tubed it, either, so I figure you probably know exactly what to do:)