Tuesday, July 30, 2013

The Mary Kay Look: Influenster Glamour Look Review

These products were sent to me complimentary from Influester.  I talk more about this program and other ways to get free stuff here.  Email me if you want an invite to Influester - diniwilks at gmail.

So, I whined about how Influenster won't give me makeup and I got the invite to the Glamour Look campaign within a week.  Ask and you shall receive? Influester wanted to make me look like a liarpants?  You be the judge.  

I have to admit, I cringed a little when I saw it was Mary Kay.  I can vividly remember my high school friend's mom driving to cross country meets in her pink cadillac, all decked out in her MK products.  I thought Mary Kay would forever be "mom makeup" to me, never mind that I AM a mom, or that I have never actually tried any of their color cosmetics to form an actual opinion.  (I did, however, try the lip scrub many moons ago.  It was good stuff!)

But it just so happened that right around the time I found out the box would be Mary Kay, Jenluvsreviews  posted this video.  I have to say, it actually made me excited to test out the products.  Plus I was veeeeeeeeeeerrry impressed by what they sent me - just from the packaging I could tell it was going to be good stuff!  The lipstick in particular has really nice packaging.  I don't really know how to explain it, but the tube is all...slidey?  I don't know, I like to play with it.  I am a sucker for packaging.  

So here are the goods:



  • Mary Kay Lash Love Lengthening Mascara ($15.00)
  • Mary Kay Lash Primer ($15.00)
  • Mary Kay True Dimensions Lip Stick in Pink Cherie ($18.00)
  • Mary Kay Cream Eye Color in Violet Storm ($22.00)
  • Mary Kay Cream Eye Color / Concealer Brush ($10.00)
$80 retail value - THANKS, INFLUENSTER AND MARY KAY!!!

So I thought I would take you through me playing with the products so you can see how they look on mah face.  Remember, I am not a beauty guru or a remotely decent photographer.  I just like to buy makeup and play with it because it makes me happy.  

Violet storm was just screaming to be used as a base for a purple smoky night time look, so that's what I did.  I was hoping it would be something I could use for a fall wedding.  Lemme know if you think it works!

Here is a reminder of what I look like sans makeup (okay, FINE, I'm wearing a little):


I used the cream eye color brush to apply the cream shadow.  I LOVE this brush, the bristles are the perfect stiffness for cream shadows.  I probably won't use it for concealer because I prefer a fluffy crease blush to blend it in since I have to cover so much area due to my rosacea. I have washed it twice since I got it and it's good as new, no shedding.  

The cream shadow is nice.  It's very creamy, so I wouldn't use it alone, I prefer to use creams as a base to make the eyeshadow pop and to last longer.  It's nicely pigmented though so you could get away with just setting it with a translucent powder and letting it stand alone.  


Now for the fun part.  Laura and Michelle from the MMandLShow are always mentioning how Lash Love is their holy grail mascara, so I was very happy to get the Lash Love and the Lash Primer.  I thought I would hate it because it has a rubber brush and those don't normally work for me, but this mascara really does give a ton of length.  Check it out - nothing on the left and looooooooong lashes on the right:


I finished off the look with the True Dimensions Lip Stick.  I am not really a fan of the color (too bright for me), but I love the formula.  It's really nourishing and creamy and smooth.  

And this is the part where I Zoolander it up for you:


Overall, I was super happy with everything I tried.  I may not have picked the shades myself, but at least now I know that the mascara is worth the hype and that the lipstick is worth a shot in a more Laura-friendly color.  It's actually kind of nice to have some MK products I want to try in my back pocket; now I can stop avoiding my friendly neighborhood Mary Kay peddler because I actually know it's good stuff. 

1 comment:

Julie said...

My sister-in-law sold Mary Kay while I was in college and I still say that they have some of the best color selections on the market. I love the way the mascara looks on you. I might have to try that myself.