Monday, August 5, 2013

July 2013 Favorites

Time for some monthly favorites!  It makes me sad that I was too busy to capture my May and June favorites, but I am going to try to get through the rest of the year without missing any.  I decided to move the makeup stuff to the end this time since I know not all of you are into that kind of thing :)

Justin moment: I really don't have any one particular moment, but I did want to mention that Justin has really been going out of his way to have a good attitude and instantly diffuse any potential fights.  After 7 years of me being frustrated with his pissiness, it's a really good thing, but I do have to admit that it's also a bit annoying because sometimes I want to be mad (especially in this post-mirena world) and he is making it really hard.  It's like his vasectomy and my mirena have caused us to do a relationship freaky friday role reversal.  That being said, I really am EXTREMELY happy with his new outlook on life.  

Adriana moment: I have two for Adriana, since my top moment didn't technically happen to me, it happened to Justin.  I just think it's HILARIOUS.  Adriana is basically a mini me, which means that she goes right for the throat when she's angry.  She got mad at Justin the other day, and basically went off on a string of profanity, throwing every "bad word" she knows at him.  You guys, she invented the best insult EVER.  I can't even type it without laughing, and I have no idea how he made it through with a straight face.  She called him a BITCH DICK.  I am dying. [And yes, she does get in trouble for using these words, even when it's funny.] The other favorite for Adriana is that she has been sneaking into our bed in the morning to cuddle.  I know a lot of parents don't recommend encouraging this because it's hard to get them to stop, but she is just so sweet and cuddly when she first wakes up that I am really trying to "enjoy every second" (heh).  

Lucia moment: Lucy just cracks me up in general, but my favorite moment of late was when my dad called me and asked Lucy to tell me what just happened.  "Me fall out of bed!"  It doesn't SOUND like it would be funny, but she said it the most chipper, happy, proud of herself voice ever.  It was the first time she ever climbed out of a crib, so I guess it's time for me to stop dragging my feet on the whole big girl bed / shared room endeavor.  And since I did 2 for Adriana, I will add that Lucia was a total champ when we were hiking Old Man's Cave, and completely cracked everyone up by making monster noises every time we went through a dark tunnel.  She is the hammiest.  

Picture: We got together with Justin's dad's entire side of the family for a giant photo shoot this month.  This picture was taken by the lovely folks at Visual Image Photography; I'll probably post all of them once I get the disk and the rights to the images.



I love this picture because the girls just look so Children of the Corn-ish.  These kids REFUSE to both smile at the same time in pictures, but they have no issues with joint suspicion.  I also need to learn to mask my frustration from trying to get them to cooperate - I look a bit stabby here.  

Family activity: We went fake camping in Hocking Hills last weekend and it was so much fun! More pics and full recap to come.  Eventually.  




Food: I discovered a new restaurant this month, thanks to my coworkers.  Al's Corner Restaurant in Barberton is freaking amazing.  It's a little old school diner that sells pierogies and chicken paprikash and sausages and other deliciousness.  So good.  I also ate peanut butter on a toasted english muffin at least 4 days a week.  Melty peanut butter is the best.  



Drink: Since I have been travelling to Columbus a ton, I have been getting a lot of fast food road beverages.  My drink of choice this month was the Original Limeade from Taco Bell.  It is the most refreshing drink ever.  

TV Show: Okay, this is totally a guilty pleasure show.  Had I done a May favorites, I would have admitted to watching the first two seasons of H20: Just Add Water on amazon prime.  I never made it through the third season, it kinda jumped the shark.  Or mermaid.  Did I mention it's a show about three girls who turn into mermaids?  I put it on for Adriana and then I couldn't stop watching it because I'm a dork with the taste of tween.  Anyway, apparently Netflix bought the rights to do a spin-off and now I have three new mermaids to watch.  The spin-off is called Mako Mermaids if you are interested :)

Movie(s): My July favorite is not really any one specific movie, it's more that I became completely obsessed with Redbox so I can now watch ALL THE MOVIES.  To say that we went a little nuts with the movie rentals is an understatement.  I feel like we are overcompensating for basically watching no new movies whatsoever since Adriana was born.  I counted and we rented TWENTY movies this month.  My favorite was definitely Warm Bodies, because I love zombies and romantic comedies and it's just magical when those two are combined.  

Game: The winner for this month is most definitely Cards Against Humanity.  I love that both my family and Justin's are completely comfortable with playing this game.  If you haven't heard of it, it's basically a dirty / politically incorrect version of Apples to Apples.  We played through the entire box and several expansion packs in Hocking Hills and it just never gets old.  

Clothing: I was in need of some workout clothes since mine were all getting pretty worn out.  I went with the $17.99 Spalding Women's Capri Legging (in black) and the $12.73 Bella Maxine RacerbackTank (in black, dark gray heather, pebble brown, and coral) and I adore them.  The pants stay put when I am working out and give no appearance of camel toe whatsoever.  The shirts are nice and flowy so they (mostly) hide my pudge, and three out of four are thick enough that I don't need to layer them (the coral is a bit see through).    



Accessory: I am not sure if this warrants its own category since I am not much of an accessories person...I WISH I was, but honestly, I just can't be bothered most of the time.  I pay too much then stuff gets tarnished or breaks or snags and I get annoyed.  But I loved this gorjana-griffin Zuma scarf so much that I had to show it.  It's lightweight and super long and wide, so it's really versatile.  I love the pop of neon pink against the navy blue and white stripes.  It's just perfection.  It's a $62 scarf but I got it in my $35 June PopSugar Must Have box along with a lot of other great items.  I heart PopSugar.



Makeup:  I had one look and one look only this month, and the only variation was whether or not I tightlined.  I pretty much exclusively wore Missha BB cream in shade no. 21 topped with Mac Studio Fix powder in NW 20, benefit's Hervana blush on my cheeks, Urban Decay's Naked Basics and (optional) 24/7 glide on pencil in zero on my eyes, tarte's gifted on my lashes, the anastasia brow wiz on my brows (not pictured), and Maybelline's Color Whisper in Nude Shimmer on my lips.  



This month's favorites are the three in bold, but I am obviously a fan of all of the products or I wouldn't wear them on a daily basis.  I CANNOT RECOMMEND THIS LOOK ENOUGH.  It is so fresh and pretty and the perfect "I'm not wearing any makeup, I just always look this awesome" makeup.  It's nice and lightweight for summer and nothing smudges or melts off my face.  

The Hervana blush is just the right color to give me a natural, pretty flush for spring and summer.  It also smells delicious and actually comes with a pretty great brush.  My iphone camera is still incapable of taking decent pics, but I am wearing it in this post and this post if you want to see what it looks like on my face. 




Urban Decay's Naked Basics palette is a favorite because it has everything I need all in one place and it's super easy to travel with.  I usually sweep W.O.S. (Walk of Shame) on my lids up to my brow with my finger and Naked 2 in the crease, but on the rare occasion I'm wearing warmer tones I do Foxy/Faint instead.  Venus is a great highlight and Crave is a great eyeliner substitute.  I think everyone in the universe should own this palette.  




I honestly recommend ALL of the Maybelline Color Whispers, but nude shimmer is a favorite this month because it fits in with my desire to have light, barely there makeup this month.  I own like 10 of these because I get them for an amazing price at the Loreal company store and I love them all.  



Skin: I have really been loving using the Loreal Youth Code Serum Intense that I got in the CEW (Cosmetic Executive Women) Insider's Choice box last year.  I saw that they partnered with Birchbox this time and I totally missed getting the box - BOOOOOOO.  Anyway, this serum is really amazing - my skin feels so soft the next morning.  I recently bought some for my mom and she loves it just as much as I do.  



Hair: I have also been loving the John Frieda Liquid Shine Clear Hair Glaze.  I got it in a past allure box, but it's hella cheap on amazon if you are interested - just $7.99.  I use it once a week when I take a "spa" bath...I pop on a face mask, put about 1/4 of the bottle on my hair, and lay back for 20 minutes or so.  It is just as luxurious as it sounds.  It smells great and makes me feel like I'm reversing some of the damage from dying my hair.  It doesn't contain any ingredients that will fade hair color.  Love. 



Nails:  I got nothing, I have been really neglecting my nails lately.  Oops.

Body: I have had this Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub waiting in the wings since I got it in last summer's Crave Box, but I had some other stuff to use up first.  I love sugar scrubs because salt scrubs make my legs burn.  This one is nice and abrasive without leaving me in pain.  My legs are soft and no longer ashy/scaly when I'm done.  Gross, I know.  My skin is just so freaking dry I am always looking for a good exfoliator.  The coconut lime smell is definitely unique, but I would probably try out Tropical Mango or Almond & Honey next time.  



Okay, so that's all for this month...

What are you loving?  Tell me about your favorite products or family moment down below!




4 comments:

kirida said...

I need to pick up that UD palette because Mindy Kaling also said it was her favorite and I listen to everything she says. I bought hot pink Nike sneakers because of her and they make every workout much better, even if I'm barely making it through.

Mama Tully said...

OMG! I am dying over Adriana's potty mouth, lol! Just picture what she will be able to come up with in 10 years....oh the teenage years, I'm already loathing them!

Karen Box said...

Beautiful family picture, but is that a POPSUGAR necklace, I spy? If so, I'm so glad you rock it. It looks fabulous on you! (It looks Snooky-trashy against my skin) I love that Tree Hut sugar scrub too. The fact that it's affordable makes it super-awesome.

Lacey said...

Cracking up at the children of the corn picture. Oh suspicious Diniwilk children. You never fail to crack me up!

Lets make a deal...you get that fake camping recap up ASAP and I'll get you a garage sale post up. Gives us both some accountability! :P