Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Fall 2013 Day in the Life; Heritage Farms Pumpkin Pandemonium

Summer 2012 DITL here
Winter 2013 DITL here
Spring 2013 DITL here

You have until October 20 to play along too.  Details here at Navigating the Mothership.  Thanks for organizing, Other Laura!  If you are new to The Diniwilks ("deenie wilks"), Adriana (rhymes with piranha) is now FOUR as of 10/14, and Lucia ("loo see uh") turned 2 on 8/14.  


Sunday October 13, 2013


6:52 am:  Justin and I wake up to the sound of little girl giggles.  He turns to me and says "So it begins...".  This was the first night the girls shared a bedroom and as far as I'm concerned, it went swimmingly.  Lucia normally wakes up at 7:30 on the weekends, but Adriana gets up as early as 6 and has been coming into our room scared out of her mind at random hours of the night lately.  No middle of the night wakeups and we get to sleep until almost 7?  I'll take it.  We both lay in silence hoping the other one will get up.  It's technically Justin's day, but I did say I'd do it if the room sharing didn't go well.  I only said it to get him to put the beds together last night instead of today, I didn't ACTUALLY plan to get up.  Sigh.  He's not moving.  I guess it's me.  




7:00-8:00 am: I round up the kiddos, grab the bowl of crunchies (in case you need further evidence Swistle is a genius), and commence the morning iPhone routine (Paradise Cove, Instagram, and Twitter, oh my!) while the girls watch Caillou.   There are pumpkins in my cove and the trees are all dark and Halloweeny, which makes me dorkily happy.  

Edited to add: Forgot to mention that when the light went out in the kitchen, Adriana said "I think a gnat flew up into one of those thousand holes and squeezed really hard until he broke the light, then got out fast before the light broke him.  Or maybe a thousand gnats went in there and broke it together."  Ha!



8:00-9:30 am: Justin showers and comes down early, which is nice.  I have big plans to go to Heritage Farms for Pumpkin Pandemonium today, so I take the girls in the shower with me to save time.  Not before taking this pic though - the kids are constantly taking off their clothes and putting other stuff on, hence the lack of pants.  Their pants free legs are what catches my attention though - I notice how INSANELY LONG they are and it makes me sad.  I have KIDS instead of BABIES.  How did this happen?



9:30-11:00 am:  We hop in the car and head out.  First stop: JoAnn Fabrics.  My mom bought the duvet covers I picked out for the girls' birthdays, but I still need to get blankets to go in them.  JoAnn didn't have any, but I was able to get cheap pillow inserts for the decorative pillows.  I put on makeup, Justin gasses up the car and eats some atrocious gas station sub, the girls alternate between acting goofy and fighting, and we eventually make it to the farm (but only after Justin overshot our exit by 8 miles).  

11:00 am - 1:00 pm: Pumpkin time!  Last year we went to Graf Growers because it's so much closer to our house and Lucia was too small to do much anyway.  It was a perfectly lovely time and the pumpkin selection is better, but I feel like there is more to do at Heritage Farms.  Pumpkin patch day is seriously my VERY FAVORITE day of the entire year, so I need to figure out how to convince Justin to go to both places next year.  


Parking lot pics:





Same pics I take every year, but with bigger kids.  Compare to my fall pics from 2011 (apparently I didn't post last year's.)




We buy cake pops and apple cider before doing anything else.  Priorities.



Hay ride.  I love how Adriana grips Justin's hand the whole time.  



Pumpkin rolling.  I have never seen this event before, either because we didn't venture that far in the past or it is actually new...it is AWESOME.  A big kid nails Adriana really hard with a pumpkin from 10 feet away, but she shakes it off like a champ.  I should also note that Adriana rolls her pumpkin through the hoop, unlike either of her parents. 



Other events include a leaf pile, corn maze (we get lost repeatedly because Adriana keeps running ahead and I have no choice but to follow her), hay pyramid, teepees to color, a corn bin (the kids LOVE this - we basically have to drag them out kicking and screaming), cars, a box maze, and photo cutout thingies.  



We pick out our pumpkins and head out.  Lucia cracks me up with her two-ness ("I do it, I do it.  I can't do it, mama, too heavy!!!")





1:00-2:30 pm: I try to convince hubs that the kids could make it through lunch at the Winking Lizard without melting down, but the line is crazy long so we bail.  Good thing, too, as both girls zonk out within minutes.  I run into Target to get the girls' blankets, more pillows, and a mattress pad, and then to Panera for lunch.   Mac and cheese and pumpkin cookies for the girls; turkey bacon bravos, broccoli cheddar soup, and lemonades for J and I.  Unfortunately neither kid makes it from the car to their beds without waking, so we all spread out on the floor to eat like the hobbits we are. I put Alice in Wonderland on and lay down, hoping that Justin won't mind if I take a little nappy nap.  I'm exhausted - I wouldn't have stayed up so late if I had known I was going to have to get up with the kids this morning.  Ironing the duvets and getting the bedding on the beds will have to wait until tomorrow. Lucia snuggles with me a bit before I nod off.  


4:00 pm:  I wake up to find my children in their underwear (what else is new), the crunchies bowl dumped all over the floor (ditto), and Lucia running a fever of about 102 (ugh).  Good times.   


IMAGE EDITED BECAUSE GOOGLERS ARE PERVERTS


4:00-5:00 pm: I send Justin off to the store for groceries and proceed to play games with the girls.  Adriana wins every time and is not shy about gloating.  This is clearly my child.  


IMAGE EDITED BECAUSE GOOGLERS ARE PERVERTS


5:00-6:00 pm: Justin comes home; dinner time.  He bought a rotisserie chicken and fruit, our lazy dinner of choice.  Lucy starts feeling really crappy a few minutes in and just wants to snuggle, interrupting my kitchen clean up time.  Guess that will also have to wait until tomorrow.  Look how much Adriana eats compared to Lucia!  Complete role reversal.  



6:00-7:30 pm: The usual post dinner chaos: tv, snuggling, washing and folding laundry, reading books (No, David! for L and Sophia the First for A), forcing the girls into jammies, brushing teeth.  I send Justin to Target to get supplies for Adriana's birthday snack.  I want to go myself but Lucia has determined that Mama's lap is the only acceptable location for feeling miserable.  Is it wrong that I so thoroughly enjoy sick baby snuggles?    




7:30-8:30 pm:  Justin puts Lucy to bed and then plays Grand Theft Auto.  Adriana and I make Butterflies and Caterpillars.  At one point she turns to me and asks where Justin is.  I tell her he is playing video games, to which she replies, "Yeah, I guess he's probably sick of me and Lucy."  I try SO HARD not to laugh, but we can her J cracking up from the living room, which sets off my giggles.  Adriana asks what is so funny, and I don't really know what to tell her.  Apparently we aren't doing a good job of hiding the fact that we are EXHAUSTED by the end of the weekend, haha.  I tell her we love her and Lucy, but that sometimes grownups need quiet time too.  

8:30 pm - 12:00 am:  I eat Lucy's untouched dinner, then Justin and I snuggle on the couch to watch 3 episodes of Walking Dead before heading off to bed.  I just barely fall asleep before Lucy starts crying.  She is burning up, so I take her downstairs for a second dose of medicine and a drink of water.  I try to get her to go back to bed, but ultimately we end up on the couch.  The shared room thing is too new to keep going in and out of the room.  Neither one of us gets much sleep the rest of the night.  Good thing I took that nap earlier.  

8 comments:

Lacey said...

I LOVE your pictures from pumpkin patch day. Your baby girls are so so so pretty.

Hope little Lucy feels better!

Jessica said...

Aww, I hope Lucy is doing better!

I love pumpkin patches and pretty much always campaign to go to both that are near us. This year we've had plans every weekend, unfortunately. (Most of them mine, like the Blathering, so I can't complain!)

Swistle said...

Aw, it makes me feel kind of sentimental to see a Crunchies Bin! It feels like we haven't had one of those in so long! ...And actually, that would be a good thing for School Snacks (and recycling School Snack Leftovers!).

Heather said...

Aww, the pumpkin patch looks so much fun! I can't wait to take Tory to one that has all the fun kid's activities. Right now the one we go to is pretty low-key and chill because she just doesn't know the difference.

Hope L is feeling better! But, yay for the transition to them sharing a room so smoothly. Was L in a big girl bed before? Seems like she took to sleeping in one like a champ ... unlike some other little girl I know. :)

Navigating the Mothership said...

Somehow I had the pronunciations wrong on all 3 so I'm glad you clarified!

That pumpkin place looks so great/fun.

Aw, sorry Lucia (mentally carefully saying Loo-see-ah) got sick :( Glad that at least you were able to have a nice first half of the day as a family.

andthencameforty... said...

I'm about to go up and click that crunchie link, because I have no idea what it is! Hope Lucia is better now - was it an ear infection? Ear infections are my kids' kryptonite...

andthencameforty... said...

OMG. Crunchies bin!!!!! Brilliant.

Jo said...

That looks like a great pumpkin patch!

I totally love sick kiddo snuggles. I hope Lucia's fever passed fast.

Crunchies bin is an awesome idea.