Monday, October 21, 2013

From a Nursery to a (Shared!) Big Girl Room

You guys, we are SO CLOSE to achieving my dream of having a playroom!  I am sick of our entire living room being taken over by toys.  I look back a what I thought was kid clutter and I just want to weep.  2011 living room is about a million times better than 2013 living room in just about every way.  However, our house isn't the biggest, so the only way we can have a playroom is for the girls to share a bedroom.  They almost never hang out in the bedrooms, so it seemed like a waste to use up two rooms just for sleeping.  

A couple of weeks ago I decided that enough was enough and put the entire set of nursery furniture up on my company's portal at 25% of what I paid for it.  My style is completely different than it was 5 years ago and I definitely didn't want the black dressers any more, plus I figured it was easier to sell an entire set than a couple of pieces.  I was super lucky that two people responded right away.  One got the glider and the other got the crib, changing table, and dresser.  

Lucia was HILARIOUS when we took apart the crib.  "Mama!  Mama!  Dada broke it!  Dada broke my bed!"  Her little face was just priceless.  I can't really blame her though - we sold the stuff before we retrieved her big girl bed from storage so she had to sleep on the floor on her crib mattress for about a week.  Poor kiddo.  

Here are some pics of the old nursery.  I never took any good ones from this house (oops), these are in the apartment we lived in until Adriana was 4 months old.  This house had all the same stuff, but in a slightly different configuration.  And with less decorations because by that time I was more practical.  Flower thingies that have sharp little spikes in them right above the changing table? Noobsauce.  









I am saddest to see the glider go...lots of good memories rocking both girls in that chair.  But it really doesn't fit anywhere else in the house, and it was a $300 chair so we got decent money for it.  I maaaaaaay keep the mobile or even hang it in the playroom somewhere because I love it, and the pictures will get framed in white or wood and go in a big photo / picture wall in their new room at some point.  Other than that, everything must go.

Now this is where I confess something to you.  Remember way back when I had big plans for Adriana's big girl room?  Yeah, I never really did those.  Turns out having two kids less than two years apart is kind of all consuming, so we basically went into survival mode not long after that post.  Are you guys surprised?  Didn't think so.  I CAN be (moderately) crafty and decorate-y, it's just not at all where I have chosen to focus my energy over the past few years.  So it was really easy to get all of Adriana's stuff out of the bedroom so we could turn it into a playroom.  

It should also not surprise you that while I have de-nursified the nursery, put up both beds, and got the bedding situation figured out, that's about all I have done in the new shared bedroom.  But I'm going to show it to you anyway, since this might be as good as it gets until they are tweens and take decorating into their own hands.  

The lamp, sheets, pillows, blankets (inside the duvets), and mattress pads are Room Essentials from Target, and the beds are my dad's from when he was a kid.  The mattresses were on my brothers' beds so they are probably at least 15-20 years old (Is that gross?  That's probably gross.  Adding mattresses to my post tax return "to buy" list.)  The crib rail is munchkin, also from Target.  



The bedding is Pottery Barn Kids Savannah bedding in pink and blue.  I was originally going to have Adriana keep the Hayley bedding but she really, really, really wanted to match her sissy, plus my mom offered to buy it for their birthdays and she loves all things matching as well.  I'll keep Hayley around as a change I guess.  I really love the striped sheeting shown with the Savannah bedding but it's been out of stock forever and doesn't appear to be coming back any time soon.  Boo.  


I am probably going to decorate the room (eventually) with bright colors, not just light pink and light blue.  There will be some sort of nightstand and one of those clocks that changes color when the kids are allowed to get out of bed because HOLY HELL have they been waking up early.

Lucia transitioned just fine to her big girl bed, so the only real negative consequence of the new shared room situation is that Adriana wakes her up every morning at the butt crack of dawn.  Normally Lucia goes to bed at 8 and sleeps until 7:30 (when allowed), with a 1-3 hour nap in the afternoon.  Adriana goes to bed at 8:30 (and stretches it to 9 if possible) and wakes up at 6:15, with no naps since she turned 2.  Don't get me wrong, she NEEDS more sleep than this, but achieving that is damn near impossible.  Plus she had been waking up scared in the middle of the night for about 2 weeks before the room switch.  

Now Adriana goes back to sleep if she does wake up in the middle of the night, but both kids are up for the day around 6.  I'm sure it will be DELIGHTFUL when we have to Fall Back.  UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH,

But mostly I am happy with the change.  I mean, how could I not be when this is how the girls feel about it?


Do your kids share a room?  If so, I'd love to hear tips and tricks.  And if you are struggling with it, talk to Arwen, she's a genius (she gave me great advice at The Blathering - thanks again, Arwen!!)

11 comments:

Swistle said...

At our house, Elizabeth has her own room, and we have two bedrooms of two boys each. We'd thought we might set things up so that the oldest could have his own room and the other three boys would share---but NONE of them go off and spend time by themselves in their rooms the way I did as a kid, so sharing it is.

It would seem to make more sense to have the two older boys in one room and the two younger boys in the other, but actually the two older boys fight a lot so we have one older and one younger in each room.

Swistle said...

Also, one thing we've considered is having all the bunks in one bedroom and putting desks and a reading chair in the other, since they really do ONLY use their rooms for sleeping and we could use some more places for people who need peace and quiet. We haven't done anything about it yet, though. It sounded like work.

april said...

My boys share a room, but they have dinner it since birth and I think some how it's easier that way -no real memories of quiet rooms to their own. I think there is a little bit of a learning curve of being in bed means you sleep and don't mess around, but mine still do that occasionally. I think the girls will love it though - good luck!

Jessica said...

We're out of bedrooms, so two of mine will have to share when the new baby comes. The thought is just exhausting me because I don't WANT to move furniture and paint walls and UGH. I want a magical additional nursery to appear.

If the baby is a girl, we might keep her in our room for a while then move her into Margaret's room around 9 mo or 1 year. At least that wouldn't require redecorating.

Mama Bub said...

I frequently think about how my kids would probably love to share a room, but they're a boy/girl combo, so it wouldn't be long before that wouldn't be okay with one of them. Also, we have the space for them to have their own rooms. Also, ALSO, I'm way too lazy to move furniture and redecorate.

Kara Keenan said...

My older girls are close in age too, and they shared a room for a few years. From the time the middle kid was 10 months or so, until the middle kid was 5. They were happy sharing a room, and in fact, they were both in the same full size bed. But then, they started getting really different sleeping patterns. The middle kid is the perpetual early riser/early to bed child. The oldest is the opposite- up til 10 PM most nights, have to fight with her to wake up for school. The oldest likes having a light on at night and a radio, the middle likes it pitch black and quiet. So when she started kinder, I noticed that the middle kid was putting herself to sleep in the guest room most of the week, ending the sharing of rooms. We are lucky in that we have a ridiculously big house. Because even now each kid has their own room, we have a playroom, and we still have a guest suite. Youngest has always had her own room, because she was "the baby" and then she just stayed in the baby room, because there were no more babies to take her place.

Middle kid will still sometimes put herself to bed in the guest room- downstairs, away from everyone else- if it's "too loud" or "too hot" upstairs and she really wants to sleep. I know that if it's 7:30 PM and I haven't seen the middle kid in 10 or 15 minutes, she's gone to bed on her own, because she's exhausted by the day.

Erica said...

Anna has the same sleep schedule as Adriana. I feel your pain.

Mama Tully said...

I love their bedding! I like that they coordinate but don't match exactly. My girls have been sharing a room for about a year and a half now and they just love it. It's worked out great for us. There was no real reason for them to share other than that I thought they would enjoy it. My only complaint now is that now that they are so used to sleeping together, they can't sleep apart. However, this makes for an easy threat when they won't clam down at night...I tell them that L or A will have to sleep in the guest room if they don't quiet down and they ALWAYS do ;)

Erica said...

This is basically our exact plan (small house, want a play room) but I've been too chicken to implement it yet.

Emily said...

I've been putting off moving the boys into the same room because I just keep imagining it devolving into a nightmare of post-bedtime playing and pre-dawn wake ups. Your mostly smooth transition gives me some hope. (I also have one of those color changing wake up clock things languishing in my Amazon cart right now.)

Courtney said...

So I've been MIA for awhile -- How do you keep up on this with 2 kids?!?! haha The first thing I saw when I read this was about the clock that changes colors and all I can say is BUY IT NOW!!! We invested in one of these this summer with Easton and let me tell you, it's the best thing that has happened to us since chocolate milk. He totally gets the concept and is so excited when the clock turns green that he runs to tell us. Aside from the fact that we are working on sleep training our 6 month old, we are getting more sleep these days because of the clock. Best $30 ever spent!
http://www.amazon.com/Wake-Childrens-Alarm-Clock-Nightlight/dp/B002RNKOM2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382624237&sr=8-1&keywords=ok+to+wake