Tuesday, November 19, 2013

An Unexpected Surprise

It's pretty rare to get unexpected surprises of the good variety in year 7 of a relationship.  

Justin got a crappy surprise today when he realized he didn't have his wallet and yesterday's shorts were no longer next to the bed.  He knew what that meant - I am horrible at checking pockets.  The worst part is that I noticed the shorts were heavy, but I attributed it to the belt and took it off while the shorts were sitting in the laundry basket.  He ran down and retrieved his wallet from the washer but it was too late - the contents were soaked. 

I went into the kitchen to assess the damage, and lookie what I found:


If you can't read it, it says "Justin - Don't worry about running to my car to get the jump drive.  I'll call you after my meeting.  Love, Laura"

When I asked Justin why it was in his wallet, he said "It's the only thing you've ever written me."

While that CAN'T be true, I can only think of birthday cards and maybe a valentine's day card or two....other than that, anything I've ever written is electronic.  Emails, texts, instant messages.  We have never been long distance and we have seen each other almost every day for 7 years.  No need for notes.  I don't even write out our grocery list, I text it to him.

I have zero memories of writing that note.  From the contents, I'd say it's from the first year of our relationship; Justin was a security guard at my office building.  I can't believe he is still carrying it in his wallet (which is only a couple of years old, at most).  Who knew he is so sentimental?

I feel kinda bad that he keeps stuff like this and I don't.  I do have the cards to every flower arrangement he has ever sent to work, but that's because I put them in my desk drawer right when I get them (and don't really keep much else in there).  Anything he has written me at home could be anywhere (but is most likely in a random crap bin).  I am particularly sad that I don't have the notes he put on top of the toilet when I was pregnant with Adriana.  He used to get home before me, so he would turn on the bathroom light, put up the seat, and leave a note on the tank to greet me.  I would then proceed to barf, but with a smile on my face.  I feel like notes that made me smile barf are worth keeping.  

I am glad I screwed up the laundry.  Happy surprise.  

7 comments:

Susan said...

That's sweet! Now that I think about it, I don't know that I ever write little notes now either. I don't think B would keep it though.

Lacey said...

Oh my gosh how freaking sweet! I love when we see an unexpected sentimental side of our husbands.

d e v a n said...

Aww :)

Erica said...

Oh my that is adorable.

snoozical said...

Sweet! Also smile-barf made me laugh.

I'm not sure I could even ID Kevin's hand writing... But we have gchat/gmail conversations going back to 2004. So... it evens out? Maybe?

april said...

So sweet!

k said...

Oh my goodness this is sweet.