Wednesday, November 6, 2013

App Review: Balanced by Jaidev Soin


I have been loving the Balanced app so much I just had to share.  As someone who works, travels for work, has two small kids, is married, owns a home, has interests, and tries to maintain some semblance of a social life, I feel like there is just NEVER enough time.  I'm always compromising or half assing or completely pushing stuff aside.  Sometimes I have the best intentions but just completely forget to do things I promised.  Sometimes I KNOW I need to do things and it hangs over my head indefinitely.  Basically, I struggle with balance.

I love the Balanced app because it's completely customizable.  I can choose from the pre-selected topics, or I can write my own activity:


Each topic has a number of activities to choose from:


Whether you select a canned item or add your own, you can set how many times a day/week/month/year you want to perform the activity, and select an icon:


After you add all of your activities, they show up in a list.  Items that need your attention first float to the top:


You can click on any given activity to see your statistics.  And yes, I added in Sexxxxy time.  Mostly to make the hubs laugh, but I'm not gonna lie...he knows he's loved when he gets nookie, and this app reminds me if I have not been attentive enough in this area.  It has actually been a pretty helpful tool for measuring marriage happiness.  


Since I'm not sure I could overshare further than posting statistics about whether or not I'm meeting my own nookie goals, I'll list the things I use the balanced app for:

  • Planks
  • Push-ups
  • Drink some water
  • Take a vitamin
  • Check my posture
  • Catch up on news
  • Clean bathrooms
  • Clean bedroom
  • Clean living room
  • Clean girls' room
  • Clean sun room
  • Clean basement
  • Clean playroom
  • Take a great photo
  • Pay bills
  • Make time for a hobby
  • Yoga or stretching
  • Unclutter my life
  • Say I love you
  • Be patient 
  • Be present
  • Plan my budget
  • Date with hubby
  • Set goals
  • Read a book
  • Sexxxxy time
Almost every area of my life has improved because of this.  In addition to the nookie monitoring, the say I love you reminder has been great for the marriage.  It's not that we don't normally say it a bunch of times a day, but this reminds me to say it MEANINGFULLY.  Sometimes there is a little makeout or cuddle session after.  Again, weird that I need an app for this, but it works.

The be patient and be present are for the girls.  I love having these reminders float up every day; it helps keep me focused on being a better mom.  A mom who yells less.  A mom who plays on her phone less.  

The cleaning reminders are great, too.  I only have to much time to clean, and so often I just do whatever room I'm standing in regardless of whether it's the room that needs it the most or not.  With careful thought into the right frequency for each room, I'm able to better manage my cleaning time.  

The health reminders are also key.  I NEVER drink enough water or remember my vitamin; now I do.  And I force myself to work out when I see whatever challenge I'm working on float to the top (currently planks and push-ups, but I change it up).

Do you use anything like this?  What is your favorite app for keeping you organized?  And how do you maintain balance?

4 comments:

Lacey said...

Downloading now! I like the idea of it, but we'll see how well I follow through... :)

Steph Lovelady said...

Sounds interesting. I don't have a smart phone, but reminders like that do sound useful.

Jai said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jaidev Soin said...

Just found this blog post. Reading it made me smile. Thanks :).