Friday, November 8, 2013

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Bang and Black Market 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set

So, you may have noticed from the title that I actually bought two things since Project 25 Pan started in August.  I bought the Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Bang right after I finished my 25th item, and then I slipped and bought the Black Market 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set because I was so traumatized by the bed bug experience and retail therapy makes me feel better.  I was going to leave it unopened and make that my round 2 prize, but then hubs had kidney stones and you know what?  I decided I deserved a cheat.  So yeah.  While Project 25 Pan has been WILDLY SUCCESSFUL (only 2 purchases since August!!!), I am not perfect.  Sometimes I need to buy shit to make me happy.  It's not the worst flaw in the world, but it is one I will continue to work on.  

So, let's look at my shiny new things!  

When I made my wish list I put every last UD Revolution Lipstick on there.  I am a little weird about collecting things.  For a holy grail product, it's not enough for me to just have the shades I'm drawn to...I was allllllllll the things.  And I actually own very very few lipsticks; I have always been more of a gloss person.  But I am learning on my makeup journey that branching out can be fun and I really end up loving things (like blush! and tightlining!) that I never thought I'd love in a million years.  

So even though I knew there was no way that every UD lipstick was going to work for me, I wanted to buy them all.  I wanted to start with Bang because these orangey reds have been all over the place this year, and I particularly love the way it looks on people with fair skin and dark brown hair.  Jen asked me what to wear with this color, and I think it looks great with black.  Convenient, as 99% of my wardrobe is black.  However, I was a little worried that the color might look weird on me because of the redness in my skin.  This was confirmed by a couple of you on twitter, when I posted a quick pic of me when my makeup was fading - you guys let me know that the shade makes me red more pronounced.  Thanks especially to Jonna, I love people who give honest feedback on stuff like that!

This is what it looks like right after putting on foundation:




And here are a couple of quick parking lot selfies so I/we could check it out in different light:



I know I absolutely love the formula; it's creamy, long lasting, it doesn't feather, and doesn't make any dryness on my lips stand out.  I don't think it's quite as pretty on me as I wanted it to be, mainly because of my skin.  But I think that if I'm careful to do foundation checks, it's a lot better than the picture I posted on Twitter.  I'm giving it a tentative thumbs up, but I definitely want to know if you think it looks weird even with fresh makeup.

I also need advice on what kind of blush to wear with this type of shade.  I went with a light dusting of benefit's Sugarbomb because it has some orange tones in it.  I think it works, but I am definitely open to suggestion.  I also think I will need to invest in the lip liner, because it's really easy for a lipstick newb like me to make a mistake putting it on. Finally, I also think I need to experiment more with what eye looks work with a super pigmented lipstick. I think I underdid it with a light dusting of Illamasqua's Heroine and just dotting on some eyeliner.  

Either way, I'm not sad I bought it, and had fun trying something new. 

And now for my impulse buy - a set of my all time favorite eyeliners, the 24/7 UD glide on pencils!  I have posted about my love of zero and perversion before, but other than a corrupt (a brown with glitter) and some weird purple shades I got off Hautelook, I don't really venture outside of my black liner comfort zone.  However, when I was avoiding Harrisburg hotels I went to a Sephora in JCPenney's and met the most awesome Sephora worker ever.  I *think* her name was Chanel but I lost my receipt so that could be way wrong.  Anyway, she and I had SO MUCH FUN going through the store, swatching things left and right and gabbing about our favorite YouTubers.    She talked me into getting this eye pencil set by telling me it was exclusive to the JCP Sephoras (it's not...you can get it on the UD website).  

I'm not going to go into much more detail on it because Ginger coincidentally just did a great post on it, but I will tell you that I mainly bought it for Desperation, the taupey gray.  It looked AMAZING on Chanel's skin.  It looks less amazing on mine, but it is still so unique and different from anything I own that I had to have it.  

Here are my swatches:




Ink, Apathy, Riot, Black Market, Desperation, and West, respectively.  The extra swatch is more Desperation (I was Desperately trying to make it look like it did on Chanel).  

Have you bought anything fun lately?  And do you branch out or mostly stick to what you know and love?  

4 comments:

april said...

I need a pencil sharpener for my 8 UD eye pencils that are now starting to be too dull. What do you suggest. Should I get the UD one, or will a less expensive one be okay? Different brand?

Laura Diniwilk said...

I have the UD one but only because it came in a set. Any pencil sharpener is fine though, really. Sephora makes nice ones.

Laura said...

That color is fantastic! What about a light bronzer or Benefit Sunbeam?

Ginger said...

Definitely a little bit more on the eye, but you don't want to go too far. I'd go with maybe some darker eyeliner?

Also, your swatches are way better than mine.