Friday, December 27, 2013

2013 Recap: Happier, Fatter, Richer

I have been doing the old Sundry version of this meme in some form since 2008, but 2010 was deleted at some point (see 2012, 2011, 2009, 2008).  To sum it up Tessie style, in 2013 I was happier, fatter, and (sliiiiiiiightly) richer.  I'd say that's a solid improvement from last year's sadder, thinner, poorer.  

1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?

I was offered (and turned down) a guest appearance on the HuffPost Live show.  I tried out CrossFit and did yoga on a beach and in a studio.  I had an on trend vagina.  I spent too much money on freemium games and high end makeup.  I went on a fake camping vacation instead of a beach vacation with my family (which I STILL haven't blogged about, but still want to).  I made permanent birth control decisions (or at least hubs did). I kicked ass at work, logged more nights away from my family than ever, got great results in the cases I was involved with, and was not rewarded for any of it.  I survived a really hard year.  I sat on salami.  I had a run-in with bed bugs.  


2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

I made three resolutions last year: 


     1. Strengthen my marriage.  Done, but I plan to keep working on it.  

     2. Keep a clean, clutter-free house. Done for part but definitely not all of the year.  This is definitely something I struggle with.  I should probably rent a dumpster and go to town.  

     3. Get personal and house finances under control. I am still spending too much of my personal money, but I think we did a great job with house finances this year.  Project 25 Pan is also helping.  

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

Just some lovely ladies of the internet.  No one close enough in real life that I got to actually nom on baby toes or anything.  Which is sad.

4. Did anyone close to you die?

No, thankfully.

5. What countries did you visit?

Just this one.  I went to Hocking Hills and Charleston for fun, and to Columbus and Harrisburg for work.

6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?

Aside from everything on this list (ha), I would like to have children who listen and a self-cleaning house.  Since none of that is feasible, I would like to have more patience.

7. What dates from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

None really stand out in my mind this year.  It was all kind of a blur, really.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

I really am proudest of the things I accomplished at work.  Even though my rating and title don't reflect the work I put in, it really was nice to win so many issues I passionately fought for.

9. What was your biggest failure?

Definitely not being patient with the girls.  I really do feel that Mirena made me lack emotional control, but I also take personal responsibility.  I could have gotten it removed sooner, or tried harder to not lose my shit.  I hate being yelling mom and definitely want to fix that going forward.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

Omg I never did my fitness update so I have never told you guys about my foot.  The giant vein running across the top SNAPPED IN HALF, and it was totally painful and totally disgusting.  No major illness...I barfed at Thanksgiving and had the occasional cold.  The usual.    

11. What was the best thing you bought?

My Laura Mercier Artist's Palette and my iPhone 5C.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?

Justin really stepped up this year.  He is a great dad; I love watching him with the girls.  I am happy to say that our family is his #1 priority now.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?

My own (again with the yelling mom thing).

14. Where did most of your money go?

Most of my discretionary spend went to travel, makeup, and clothes, the rest to household bills and stuff for the girls.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

My bloggy gatherings!

16. What song will always remind you of 2013?

We did an embarrassing amount of family dance parties to Best Song Ever and What Did The Fox Say.  I personally loved Lorde's Royals, something about it just mesmerizes me.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? Happier.  It would be kind of hard not to be.
– thinner or fatter? Fatter.  By at least 20 pounds.  Please tell me Biggest Blogging Loser is happening and that I'm not too late.
– richer or poorer? Richer.  But only slightly...nothing really changed for us financially, we are just being smarter with house expenses.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Cleaning and exercising.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of?


Yelling.  


20. How did you spend Christmas?

We spent all day with Justin's dad side on Christmas eve.  We opened presents at our house Christmas morning, then went over to my parents for more presents (an obscene amount of them, I have no idea how they will all fit) and then got together with my mom's side after that.  I was too exhausted / sick to go back to my parents to see my dad's side, so we will have to get together with them later.

21. Did you fall in love in 2013?

Not with anyone I didn't already love.    

22. What was your favorite TV program?

Walking Dead and Pretty Little Liars.

23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? 

Nope, the hate list is still a party of one.  I don't foresee adding to it any time soon, it takes a lot for me to actually hate anyone.  There are a few people I have to deal with regularly that clash with my personality, but that's more of a minor annoyance.

24. What was the best book you read?

Definitely Ocean at the End of the Lane, I loved it.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?

I actually bought new music this year, look at me.  The 1975 and Lorde.  And I can't remember if I got the Lumineers this year or last, but I didn't mention it last year.

26. What did you want and get? 

Naked 3 palette and all 3 allure boxes.  Lots of great memories with my girlies.  Monthly dates with the hubs.  

27. What did you want and not get?

A family beach vacation.  A romantic getaway with hubs. A promotion.  Lorac palettes.  A cleaning service.  One less Mirena making me crazy (I rescheduled the appt for early next year though, so I promise I'll stop bitching about it soon).

28. What was your favorite film this year?

Catching Fire.

29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

I was 34. I remembered to blog about it so I wouldn't forget this time, haha.  I went to book club and my lovely friend Nicole bought me delicious cake, then I went home and snuggled with Justin.

30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

Definitely a clean house.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2013?

Same as last year...Boots, tights, and dresses in the winter, skinny jeans and t shirts in the summer. More on fashion here.

32. What kept you sane?

Justin.  He did a good job of noticing when I was at my limit and stepping in to take over.  Thanks, hubby!

33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

Dolvett from Biggest Loser is rather yummy.

34. What political issue stirred you the most?

Marriage equality will always be my number one issue until it's fixed.

35. Who did you miss?

I miss having a best friend.  There have definitely been times where I could have used one over the past couple of years, and I'm always jealous of those people who have had the same bff since like second grade.

36. Who was the best new person you met?

Definitely my Blathering crew.  I am not naming names because I don't want to exclude anyone - I love all of you!!!

37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.

I have been thinking a lot about the importance of relationships.  I feel like I have been in survival mode for so long and it hasn't left me with a very strong support system.  I'd like to spend more time being a good friend and a good family member next year instead of just going through the motions every day.

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

No.

There you have it! If you also do this meme, link to your post in the comments!

13 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, I'm practically seal-clapping over here! I love recap posts! :) Sounds like you've had a good year. My year went something like this: http://larrythedog.blogspot.com/2013/12/2013-in-review_18.html

Tessie said...

YAYYYYYY this is the first one I've seen? Your WHAT NOW snapped in half? GAHHHHH

Happy New Year!!

Jessica said...

I've become a yell-y mom this year, too, mainly due to the morning sickness and not being able to handle misbehavior on top of it. (Though of course I had a choice.) I'm working on it now that I feel a bit better!

april said...

I got Naked 3 and I experimented with it this morning for the first time and OHMYGODILOVEITSOMUCH. And the very next time I have $129 I'm buying the rest of the Naked palettes. Done.

clueless but hopeful mama said...

Girl, you and me - we need to have a yell-y mom support group.

I hope your next year is EVEN BETTER!

oxoxo

(Off to write up my recap! Thanks for the reminder!)

Alicia Curley said...

This is a fun recap. I started following your blog when you turned down the HuffPost offer. I was impressed and proud that you didn't sell out and now I'm a regular :)

I'll agree with another commenter - the vein thing sounds disgusting. I have veins that are super close to the top of my skin, so I imagine I'd see all of the nastiness if that happened to me!

Happy New Year!

Mama Tully said...

So glad to hear that this was a better year for you. Do you have a plan to tackle your new years resolution? I'm not much of a yeller, but it REALLY comes out for me when I'm overly hormonal (aka pregnant). I really hate myself when I'm pregnant and thats one of the reasons why…I don't like the mom I become when I'm pregnant. Another good reason to STOP HAVING BABIES, lol!
I remember when I was a kid and my mom would get upset or frustrated with us, she would look us in the eye and say, "tell me your just a kid" and we would repeat back to her "I'm just a kid." Sounds kind of silly, but it was enough of a reminder for her to cool down. Whatever works!
Oh…and good luck with your tea party! Your girls will love it so much…regardless of what the table looks like :)

Carla said...

Ahhhh... Dolvett. YES. I always forget about him. But. YES. UH HUH. YUP.

Blair Petrillo said...

Thanks for the inspiration! Here's mine: http://thirty-ninecandles.typepad.com/my-blog/2013/12/on-the-upswing.html

purplelara said...

LAURA. I'm so glad you had a good 2013 and hope you have an awesome 2014. Hope to see you (October? Blathering?) I will miss you A LOT at PJs, girl.

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

Yay for happier and richer! Fatter can be nice too, especially if it is the result of much deliciousness!

Your response to #37 really hit home for me - I feel like I'm in survival mode, too, and have been since I got pregnant. It's really affecting my ability to be a good friend and wife and that SUCKS. It's also affecting my ability to be a good ME - keeping me from doing the writing I want, for one thing. Not sure how to fix it, as I am still SURVIVING, (so tired...), but something to think about.

Ginger said...

I am so glad that 2013 treated you better than 2012 did. I hope 2014 is EVEN BETTER. And man, do I hope I get to see you again in 2014...spending time with you was definitely one of my favorite parts of the year.

Marie Green said...

I'd like to join the Yelly mom support group please and thank you. Laura, you're one of my favorites. I want to see more or you. Lets make that happen.