Monday, January 27, 2014

How to Tame Dry, Frizzy Winter Hair (with Minimal Heat Damage)

I have been wanting to tell you all about a new hair trick that I love, but it's hard to get a decent picture since my hair is so dark (and it doesn't help that I wear so much black, haha).  Just try it out yourself!

When I was in high school, I hated my half curly / half wavy / all frizzy hair and was super jealous of people with "wash and go" hair.  If flat irons existed back then, I wasn't aware of them, and curling it every day was definitely too much work.  More often than not I'd take my morning shower, find the nearest scrunchie, pull my hair halfway through, and go.  

I'd like to say that I've evolved since then, but I still do this on the weekends (subbing my trusty black goody elastic for the scrunchie, of course).  During the week I try to be better about going around with wet hair, but I still air dry with Miss Jessie's at least twice a week in the summer.  Winter is a little trickier, what with the polar vortex and all.  I have been searching for a way to do my hair that involves minimal heat styling since it's a bit damaged from a bad dye job last year, plus my hair is suffering from the usual winter dryness.  

I'm participating in this round's Biggest Blogging Loser, which means I'm showering every night after I work out (30 Day Shred, maybe I'll actually complete it this time).  I know you are technically not supposed to wash your hair that often, but I am a sweaty beast and there is no amount of dry shampoo that will cover up that level of gross.  After showering, I put in a small amount of leave in conditioner (I love the Redken Extreme Anti-Snap) and pull my hair back into a ponytail.  This minimizes the hair craziness, but when I wake up I still have ends that look like this:



I would normally curl or flatiron my hair to tame this mess.  Both solutions are fairly quick and make me look like I have reasonably normal hair, but both involve more heat than I'm willing to use on an everyday basis, especially when my hair is already damaged.  


Lately I have been spraying my hair with Garnier's Sleek and Shine Flat Iron Perfector, then straightening the bottom 2-3 inches with my FHI flat iron.  I figure the ends are fucked already anyway, so I'm okay with giving them full heat.  Then I VERY LIGHTLY flat iron each side ONCE, mostly to smooth the bump from my pony tail holder and to de-frizz it.  I am careful to not clamp down all the way during this step, as I am trying to keep my hair's natural wave.  I finish it off with a pump or two of the Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil, which I got in the Sephora Favorites Beauty Oil Essentials kit.  This stuff is amazing, I would seriously consider shelling out the $38 for the full size after I run out of hair oils (like 5 years from now).  Any heat protectant, hair oil, and flat iron will do, this just happens to be what I am using and loving right now.  


The end result is sort of Blake Lively beachy.  You might think that having straight ends and roots looks weird, but a ton of tutorials on youtube tell you to not curl too close to the root and to leave the ends out, so I'd say it's compatible with the current trends.  My hair is super soft and manageable when I'm done, and I just want to run my hands through it all day.  

You can customize this to your own preferences too, skipping the ponytail when you sleep and adding in some dry shampoo or root lifter if you like volume, or going a little heavier with with flat iron if you don't.  If your hair isn't naturally wavy, try sleeping in braids and then flat ironing the entire braid before you take them out in the morning.  I even do this sometimes just to mix it up since the braid waves are a little more structured than my natural ones.   

What do you do differently in the winter time?  Any products you'd recommend for dry, damaged, or frizzy hair?  I'm always looking for something that works!

4 comments:

Lacey said...

So pretty!! And omg. I'm curling all the way to the ends and so am apparently not up with current trends. Thank you for telling me! :)

Alicia Curley said...

This is great!

I struggle with wash and go in the winter becaus emy hair freezes when its wet - and it has to be pretty wet in order for the curls to look just so.

I've been doing a lot of washing at night, tying it back, and dealing with it in the morning. It seems to be the best option at this point.

Katie Wilkes said...

I've been using It's a 10 with Keratin lately for my dry ends. Seems to be doing a pretty decent job. I have to wash my hair in the morning - it gets way too greasy no matter what if I wash it at night :(

susan said...

What an easy way! I love this.. I might have to try it out... :)