Friday, January 17, 2014

January 2014 Ipsy Glam Bag Review

It's Ipsy time again...I'm not gonna lie, I am just not as excited to get these as I used to be.  Perhaps time to move on?  Either that or to start stalking the makeuptalk boards again (the ladies on there are awesome and they all used to get me really pumped for my bag).  

Date of arrival: January 16.  So much for the recent progress with DHL.  



Packaging: Pink bubble wrap mailer and a somewhat cute blue bag.  The bag STINKS this month...I thought ipsy fixed the weird smelling bag problem long ago but it's baaaaaaaaaaaack.  So gross.  I forgot to take a picture of the card but the theme this month is 19 Reasons...it's sort of a new year related theme.  Lots of skincare and stuff to combat dry winter skin this month instead of makeup.



Contents and mini reviews: I got the Malin + Goetz mojito lip balm, skiin Smoothing & Soothing Eye Cream, healthysexyhair Soy Tri-Wheat Leave In Conditioner, Elizabeth Mott Smooth Shadow in penny, and Absolute! Make-Up Cleansing Tissues.



I haven't tried the makeup wipes yet, but I love getting these little sample sized ones to throw in my purse or my travel makeup bag.  I assume it will be similar to the Yes to Cucumbers ones, since they have cucumber extract.


I have been wanting to try the healthy sexy hair for months, but I always end up getting one of the bigsexyhair options instead.  Which is fine by me, as I haven't met one I don't like.  This isn't my favorite leave in conditioner in the world, which is disappointing.  The fragrance is pleasant but also slightly weird, I think due to the citronellol.  I keep smelling it because it smells EXACTLY LIKE SOMETHING but I can't figure out what.  I'll use it though.  B


I was excited for another Malin + Goetz product; I LOVE the bergamot body wash I sampled from Birchbox.  The mojito lip balm is a really weird consistency for a squeezy tube, and it's not the kind with the applicator you can put right on your lips so it's really messy.  I'm definitely going to have to keep this one at home.  The scent is nice but doesn't last for more than 3 seconds.  It does feel nice on the lips though, not too sticky and it lasts decently long.  B


I haven't used the skiin eye cream yet because I have waaaaaaaay too many eye creams I'm trying to use up at the moment.  I have never heard of this brand before, and it seems a bit questionable due to 1) the use of papyrus font (sorry, hubby!!!)(Justin has 3 tattoos in this font); 2) the 75% off sale on the website; 3) the fact that they have recently partnered with 4 beauty subs; 4) the fact that the web site only sells clarisonics and 4 actual products.  I guess questionable is probably unfair; it's likely just a new company and they are trying to get some traction via beauty subs.  Don't mind me, I'm an asshole sometimes.  But I do get annoyed when companies overprice their products and then they are constantly "on sale" and this smacks of that tactic.  We aren't stupid.  


The last product is the Elizabeth Mott eye pencil.  I wanted the pearl one for my waterline, but this one is nice enough.  When you shine it in the light you can actually see that it has pink and gold and green microglitter in it; not just copper.  This shit DOES NOT BUDGE; I swatched it last night and it made it through a shower and 2 handwashings before coming off.  Nice!  A-

Side note on Elizabeth Mott - she also makes the Lash Cards and the it's SO BIG mascara we received in past bags.  


Value: $39.72, but it feels like it's worth less.  I blame the overpriced skiin product.  B+
You can get the Absolute! wipes in a 30 pack for $4.50, so this is worth $1.50
The 8.5 oz healthysexyhair is going for $11.32 on amazon, so this is worth $2.26
Malin + Goetz lip balm is $14 
skiin eye cream is $29.95, so this half size one is (allegedly) worth $14.98
Elizabeth Mott eye pencil is $14.99, so this half size one is worth $6.98

Overall impression of the bag: Well, I will actually use all of it, so that's nice.  I was excited about two products (the lip balm and conditioning spray), was okay with getting the wipes because I'll use them, and was kinda meh about the eye pencil and eye cream but either one of them still has the potential to be amazing.  There were only two repeat brands this month, so that is exciting.  I'd say this bag is a solid B

Overall impression of the service: As I mentioned up above, I am kind of tiring of ipsy.  I just can't get excited when every bag feels so "ehh, been there done that".  I don't know if it's an ipsy problem or a me problem though.  Are you guys still excited about your bags?  I'll keep them at A- because it's probably just me and my sample overload.  

2 comments:

Mama Bub said...

I got an almost identical bag with the exception of the face wipes - I got some proactive spot eraser wipes. The bag smelled seriously terrible and went into the trash. I wasn't super excited about this bag either, but I didn't really dislike anything in it. Nothing made me go, OH!

april said...

Mine still hasn't come, but thank you for reminding me about the It's So Big mascara - that's actually my favorite mascara we've gotten. I'm almost out of it.