Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Winter 2014 Day In the Life (Work Day)

I missed the deadline for Laura's Day in the Life roundup, but I still want to participate since these are some of my favorite posts to look back on.  I also think I am going to start doing 2 posts per season, a work day and a weekend, since they are just so different.  Hopefully the work posts aren't too boring, ha!  I put a little more background info in this one since I'll be showing you my work day more often.  

Edited to add - Adriana (rhymes with piranha) turned 4 in October; Lucia (loo-see-uh, also known as Lucy or Goosie) turned 2 in August.  I'm 34 and the hubs is 31 (cradle robber!)

5:45ish am: I woke up after two disturbing dreams in a row.  The first one featured my high school / college sweetheart, who hasn't spoken to me since he found out I was pregnant with Adriana.  It wasn't scandalous or anything, I was just telling him he should do his hair like he did in high school, but those dreams always leave me unsettled just because I still hate the way our many-year friendship ended so completely on his terms and not at all on mine.  Then as I was getting closer to waking up I started having stress dreams about work, since I remembered that I was supposed to get comments from my boss on something that was due to be filed yesterday.  The unfortunate part about this stress dream was that it was entirely true; I worked from home yesterday afternoon and I was reading documents on my ipad instead of my work laptop.  I COMPLETELY forgot to check my work email one last time and to get back to the attorney in charge of the filing.  Oops.  I snuggled in closer to the hubs and tried to go back to sleep, but it was a no go.  



6:00-6:30 am: I had no idea if it was 3am or 6am, so I checked the phone.  Damn, 6.  My alarm goes off at 6:03, but I usually hang out in bed for a bit.  Checked twitter, my pirates, and youtube.  Is Tati really recommending putting chapstick in hair?  Why yes, yes she is.  That seems...unhygenic.  It also occurred to me while laying there that my iphone is full and I'd need to upload my pictures if I want to do a DITL today.  I rolled out of bed and set my laptop up in the bathroom while I started to get ready.



6:30-6:35 am: Of course, within seconds of me entering the bathroom, Lucy is up ("I lost boo boo puppy, mama!  I LOVE boo boo puppy!  Find him, find him!").  And within seconds of hearing Lucy's gate open, Adriana is up ("Lucy woke me up and my clock is green so it's time to get up.")(It was totally NOT green.)   I may or may not have put them in today's outfit at bedtime last night, so they may or may not have already been dressed.  I know, I KNOW, I am the laziest parent ever.  But Tuesdays are hard because Justin works late on Mondays and therefore sleeps in until after we are gone.  I was hoping they would continue their trend of sleeping until 7:15 (!!!) so I could get ready in peace, then I could pop on their coats and boots and go right out the door.  But it was not meant to be.  I brought them downstairs and popped in Despicable Me 2.  It has to go back to redbox tonight so I'm trying to squeeze as many viewings in as possible.  

6:35-6:45 am: Justin was grumbling about the light so I rummaged around for an outfit in the dark.  I thought about today's schedule and decided black jeans would work since I'm literally sitting in my cube all day.  We are supposed to be business casual but some people reeeeally stretch the casual, even on non-fridays.  I'm not normally one of them, but I was having a hard time finding anything presentable in the dark.  



6:45-7:05 am: I get dressed, do my new hair trick and then end up pulling it back in a ponytail anyway.  Makeup time!  I have new makeup storage and this is the first day with my new system of not keeping the makeup bag in the bathroom.  I now have a basket of stuff to pick from that I'll switch out on a weekly basis.  



I didn't get far before I could hear Lucia calling me and yelling that her butt hurts (she has folliculitis on her nether regions).  I grabbed her and her antibiotics and let her hang out with me upstairs.  She is SO GOOD about taking her meds, never complains at all.  She got into my EOS lip balm ("Am I pwetty now, mama?"), but at least she didn't EAT it, unlike the last time I turned my back for 5 seconds.  



We brushed her teeth, pulled up her hair, and then she proceeded to freak out as I tried to slap on my makeup.  Selfies always work magic to calm her down though.  The awkward-er my face angle the better, apparently.  She always makes me show her the last picture and then demands we do it again.  The tiny dictator also made me take my hair out for the last one.   



7:05-7:35 am:  I sent Adriana upstairs to brush her own teeth, and made a mental note to make sure I brush them extra good tonight.  After she was finished, I brushed about 10,000 knots out of her super fine hair while she called me a mean mama.  Then I rushed around, gathering up backup undies and pants for Lucy and socks / hats / boots / coats / inside shoes for both girls.    I must have been hot from all of that running around, because when I went outside I didn't notice it was any colder than usual.  I let Adriana just wear her pink blankie outside and carried out the rest of the outerwear.


Most appropriate music choice ever.
7:35-7:45 am: I was shocked to see that it was -9 degrees and actually checked my car against the phone, since it didn't really feel that different than the 20 it's been the past few days.  I kept trying to shove their hats and gloves into the back seat, but neither kid wanted to put anything on.  Adriana started crying, but the frozen soundtrack temporarily cheered her up.  Lucy loves to sing along with "Let It Go", while Adriana's favorite is "Do You Want to Build a Snowman" - she acts out the "Go away, Anna"..."Okay, bye" part every time, it's so cute.  



7:45-7:58 am: I said temporarily because Adriana started freaking out when I made her put her coat and hat on before getting out of the car.  She thought I would be nicer but I'm a mean mama.  Sigh.  Waffles + a little photo shoot with her friends cheered her right up though.  My camera loving kiddos.  Oh, and yes, they are matching again, at least on top.  We don't do this nearly as often these days, but my mom gave me a bunch of clothes she normally keeps at her house (my parents are in FL so it's all daycare all the time for the next month).  






7:58-8:06 am: Drive to work.  Thank goodness it's close.  



8:06-8:15 am: Popped in the bathroom to better capture my OOTD for you guys (LOFT black stretch jeans, brown boots, lauren conrad top from kohl's, scarf I got in a CDP from -R-) and over to the hot water machine for my breakfast.  

8:15-11:45 am: Morning work stuff.  Luckily no one had comments on that thing I forgot, so that was nice.  I worked on some research for the pricing group and putting a summary of a case I'm working on into a different format for my boss.  She appreciates a good matrix.    

Brief job description:  I work in the electric utility industry.  Certain states are "deregulated" and people can shop for the generation portion their electricity.  Ohio is one of those states.  I work for a company that sells generation.  Even though it's the "deregulated" side of the business, we have to deal with the state and federal commissions all of the time.  I do regulatory work, meaning that I have to understand all of the laws that my company needs to follow in every state where we do business, and every utility case that affects rates or operations in those states.  So I have to know everything that affects us in 6 states and 25 or so utilities, I help fight to change rules that don't allow us to effectively compete, and I help explain those rules to the sales / marketing / operational peeps.  I work closely with Legal but am not a lawyer; I'm an analyst.   



Here is a panoramic shot of the semi-organized chaos that is my cubicle.  I have a window seat, but they leave the wall up if you aren't a supervisor.  Managers and up get walls and doors.  Cubes are arranged in "pods" of 4, but one of ours has been empty since the last layoff.  Sad panda.  The 9 zillion binders are for the 9 zillion cases I am working on.  I read a lot.  



(Welcome) morning interruptions include picking squares for the superbowl, a pop and cheese break with a coworker so she could fill me in on her latest match.com conquest, another coworker dangling the gender of his future baby in front of me (not literally, that would be weird), and my dad bragging about the weather.  


Look, ma, 2 brows!
11:45 am -12:45 pm: Lunch o'clock.  Today's festivities include getting my brows did (I go to Nafisa from Beauty First, love her!), picking up lunch, and running into my house to get my charger and a fresh diet coke.  I also went to grab a hand cream and realized that the chosen location of my makeup storage units is UNWISE, as hot air is blowing on my makeup.  Ugh.  Will have to find somewhere else to put them tonight; in the meantime I took the bottom drawers out.  

12:45-1:00 pm: The coworkers were all having an important discussion about whether or not it is socially acceptable to bring taco bell in for lunch.  I vote yes, it's just that most desk eaters here either pack or get food downstairs.  If you're leaving the building, you might as well go to a real restaurant.  Plus the nearest taco bell is in an awful location.  I was done eating my lunch before everyone dispersed and my phone was charged enough to turn on, so no pics.  It was a burger and onion rings from Skyway, the less tasty version of Swenson's.  

1:00-5:00 pm: Afternoon work stuff.  I only had one meeting, a call with the IL utilities about how they calculate the customers' peak load contribution.  It was riveting.  I should also note that my coworkers carried on conversations from 12:45 until 2:50 or so, with only about a 10 minute quiet break in there.  I really like my group, but I'm more of a "chat about random stuff during the first and last hour of the day" person, and prefer quiet or work-related chat the rest of the day.  I think I'm becoming an introvert in my old age.  





I like to multitask on certain conference calls.  Today's efforts included a mani (Sonia Kashuk's Wicked Attraction), shopping (Windsor), and blog fun (Lacey's awesome 2 truths and 1 lie post).  I did actually listen to the call too (I promise!), but this one was hard to follow because it was a web presentation and our firewall wouldn't let me in.  They are sending the materials out since at least one other company was looking at a blank screen too.  Good times.  




5:00 - 5:21 pm: I left work right at 5 on the dot and made a beeline for the grocery store.  I picked up milk, buns, and a shit ton of cheater food.  I can cook, it's just not how I choose to spend my time on weeknights, plus the girls are STARVING by the time they get home from daycare.



5:21-5:31 pm: I love picking up the girls, they are so excited to see me.  Adriana did a crazy dance and Lucia showed me her kitty (it's a groundhog, heh) while babbling excitedly about playing with balloons.  I bribed them to get ready fast with the promise of a "candy bar" in the car, thinking that the fiber one bars Bzzagent sent me were granola bars.  I was little nervous when I saw it was actually a meal bar, so I split it into three.  The girls didn't mind, and might as well have been in a commercial, they went nuts over it.  I now have to find a regular granola bar that tastes similar; anyone know if Fiber one makes something like that?  The flavor is Strawberry Greek Yogurt.  

5:31-5:41 pm: Drove home to the sounds of Frozen.


They helped themselves to some nerds for dessert.

Dirties on the left, cleanies on the right.  Also the first time I saw hubs all day. 
5:41-6:45 pm:  Fed the girls and tackled the giant mess of pots and pans that have been accumulating for the past 4ish days.  Justin has recently proclaimed that he will do all of the dishes if I do the pans, and I am a little salty about it.  Seeing as how I'm the primary cook / meal preparer, I feel like pans should not be solely my job too.  Justin came home around 6:30, and we both grabbed bites of dinner while cleaning and chatting with the girls.  Re: that picture up there, he has been sick so I was trying to avoid the mouth (hence the creepy open eyes).  


Awwwwkward family selfies!
  
6:45-8:30 pm: We started to watch the Lone Ranger, but Justin was pissy because the girls were talking through it and I was playing on Twitter / Instagram so he switched it to Pocahontas.  At some point Lucy fell asleep on me and I started to drift off while Adriana brushed my hair, which means I got out of bedtime duties, woohoo!  Justin woke me up after putting the girls to bed, and I came upstairs, brushed teeth, washed face, etc.

8:30-bed: I am finishing this up real quick then we are supposed to watch Wolverine in bed.  SHHHHH don't tell Justin, but I have no intention of staying awake for more than 10 minutes.  I'm skipping 30 Day Shred due to extreme fatigue.  Sometimes I think I might be semi-narcoleptic; my body just shuts down out of nowhere.  Today was definitely one of those days.  Nighty night!!!

12 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm loving the hint on Lacey's post:) Now I want to know the answers even more! At least I only picked #2 once.

Navigating the Mothership said...

The last few EOS balms I bought had some major teeth gouges in them from a certain toddler...

They are simply too tasty to resist.

Heather said...

I feel borderline narcoleptic these days, too. I sit down for five minutes while someone's talking to me or I'm nursing and I'm OUT. It's kinda embarrassing actually.

The girls are getting so big - I can't believe it! I dream of the day when Tory's old enough to brush my hair. Ha!

Mama Bub said...

I love this! I used your hair trick this morning and it isn't the most amazing look on me, but it is presentable and I didn't have to stand under a blow dryer for 20 minutest this morning, so it's a win.

Also, I would love to hear more about your cheater dinners. I'm always looking for new things to make when I don't want to actually make anything.

Mama Tully said...

Your girls are so cute! I love the selfies of you and L!
Whenever I read DITL posts from working moms, it makes me want to get back in the work force. I want to wear "real" clothes, get my brows done during lunch, and have my kids be so excited to see me when I pick them up! Of course, I probably wouldn't have my shit together like you and instead it would totally stress me out. And BTW, having your kids sleep in their clothes for the next day isn't lazy....it's GENIOUS!

Lacey said...

Woohoo! I made the DITL post! I absolutely LOVE these posts. I'm glad you didn't include the snippet of the part of the text where I said I was going to do a DITL post yesterday too. Whoops...maybe tomorrow...

Julia Goolia said...

Loved this----your work day seems like a lot of fun and the selfies are my fave. Very ambitious to attempt two of these at a time---work and days at home, but I like it!

susan said...

Fun! Love this! I don't think I could ever work in an office. IT's not my thing. I don't even like the chaos in the lounge during lunch. I might totally do one of these... If I can remember. I LOVE that nail color!

k said...

I read this last week, but am just now commenting and I LOVED READING THIS and seeing what your day is like.

Sierra said...

I think all kids like eating lip balm. I'm pretty sure I was embarrassingly old before I realized Lip Smackers weren't meant to be chewed on...

I love that nail polish color and your day actually makes me feel a little sentimental/jealous, as I never have time to paint my nails anymore (it was my activity of choice during conference calls, too!).

Jo said...

Ha. Love that you put your kids in their day clothes for bed to make it easier in the morning.

I now work at home so I do miss those random work conversation with co-workers, but on the other hand I love not being distracted by anyone.

Steph Lovelady said...

If you're like me, this is the kind of post you'll want to re-read years from now when you want to remember what your daily life was like.

I had a somewhat disturbing dream about an h.s. friend last night, too. Still wondering why...