Monday, March 31, 2014

A Year of Bzz

I first told you guys about BzzAgent back in my post on how to get free stuff.  Now that I've been in the program for a year, I thought I'd do a little look back so you can see what I got and decide if it's worth the time and effort. 

Personally, I love BzzAgent.  I don't feel pressure to use my social media to talk about stuff - if I think you guys are interested, I'll post about it, otherwise, I restrict my Bzz to face to face conversations.  Coworkers, family, and book club people are always willing to talk about a product in exchange for a decent coupon.  The programs are usually pretty great, and I feel like I have been introduced to a lot of quality products I wouldn't have noticed otherwise.  I love filling out the little surveys and Bzz reports, so it doesn't really feel like work to me.  I realize I may be unique in this - my mom hated it and dropped out after her first campaign.  If I remember right, it was the Dr. Scholl's, and she just didn't think a shoe insert was worth the time spent talking about it.  I agree to some extent, but I also think of it as a necessary evil.  I don't mind spending time writing reviews about yogurt or foot care if down the road I'm offered a sweet camera for my kids. 

Side note: As an ex psychology major and a current businesswoman and user of social media, I am fascinated by the whole concept of programs like BzzAgent and Influenster.  Even if I'm not super impressed by a product, I am amazed by my positive feelings towards a brand after a campaign ends.  I notice the products more when I'm out and about and I'm much more likely to end up with one in my cart.  Basically, I am a marketer's dream.  Even if no one listening to the Bzz second hand actually buys the product, I'd think that there is a real benefit from having everyone directly involved in the campaign support your brand going forward.  So good job, BzzAgent creators. 

 
My first campaign was Tigi's Bed Head products.  I received some shampoo and conditioner packets and a full size of On the Rebound which I talked about here.  I still like Miss Jessie's better, and scored more in a Black Friday deal, so this is just sitting around gathering dust.  It was not at all a bad product, just not holy grail status. 

 
Next I tried a Dr. Scholl's for her high heel insert.  I ended up taking it out of the shoe I originally had it in because there simply wasn't enough room for my big old foot and an insert.  However, the campaign wasn't a total bust because I learned about the Rub Relief Strips from someone I Bzzed to, and I still use those today. 

 

This campaign involved a free one month trial of redbox instant (which you can get anywhere, you don't have to be in BzzAgent) and a free dvd credit.  From June until like 2 weeks ago, we were paying $8 to get 4 dvd credits, and were only using the streaming to watch Ant Bully over and over again.  The streaming service just doesn't have enough new releases.  But I'm super glad we were in the campaign because I had somehow actually never used redbox before.  I'm now a GIANT fan of the dvd service and don't know how I ever lived without it. 


BzzAgent didn't send yogurt in the mail, just coupons for a free cup.  I used some, gifted some, and ended up buying more because I like the stuff.  I still get it about once a month.  This is the perfect example of a brand I would have never paid attention to if it weren't for BzzAgent. 


I forget what all I got in the mail - I think 3 cups of different flavors of the hot cereal and 3 of the bars?  I really liked the Special K nourish products (especially for work), and would totally buy it again if I saw it right in front of me at the store.  The problem is that I rarely go down aisles that aren't in the perimeter of the store, and I just don't think to go out of my way to pick some up.  Good stuff though.  Maybe I'll remember to pick some up now. 


Concannon vineyards is another product that I don't go out of my way to buy, but if I saw some in front of me the next time I'm buying wine, I'd pick it up over a different brand because I've tried it and I know it's good.  It was SUPER affordable too, even without the $8 off coupon I received. 


The Playskool Show Cam gets the award for the coolest thing I have received AND the award for campaign I slacked on the most, which is so unfair!  God, I'm such an ingrate.  My kids LOVE LOVE LOVE their showcam, and I have bought it as a Christmas present for family members since.  HIGHLY RECOMMEND. 


The Foreo LUNA mini is probably the second best campaign I've been invited to.  I paid $35 to get a LUNA mini, which usually retails for something like $135.  I think I probably do prefer my Clarisonic Mia for every day use, but I'm glad I own both.  I love the LUNA for travel because it stays charged for a year and because it's so wee, and the silicone nubs are very gentle on my rosacea. 


Oh, Schick Hydrosilk.  I just don't like you and your moisture strip of doom.  It gunks up my shower, goops up the razor, and makes it impossible to get a close shave, which is a waste of your five blades.  But you (and a replacement cartridge or two!) were free, and razors are expensive, so whatever. 


I got to test out two whole boxes of the fiber one meal bars, which was pretty exciting.  I loved taking these to work on days I'm too busy or cheap to hit up the cafeteria.  The only problem is that I can't find these for sale ANYWHERE, even amazon.  I will totally buy them again if I ever see them though. 


I am currently in the campaign for Tone body wash, which is another brand I would have paid no attention to if it weren't for BzzAgent.  While I don't love the new petal soft scent with peony and rose oil, I have done a lot of research on the brand and there are definitely scents I'm looking forward to trying out next time I run out of body wash.  It's a nice, inexpensive, moisturizing body wash.  I received a full sized bottle. 


I am also in a campaign for Starbucks Blonde roast.  I got to pick between a regular bag of coffee or a pack of k-cups.  Our Keurig never got unpacked after our move (ahem 4 years ago) so I went with the regular coffee.  We are going to brew it today, I'll instagram it and let you know how I like it.  I'm definitely excited to try the Blonde roast, and the $4 off coupons are going like hotcakes.  Yay, Starbucks!

That's all, folks!  Are you in BzzAgent or a similar program?  Do you like it?  Are you a sheep like me who has brand loyalty long after the campaign is over? 

1 comment:

Becky (@omg_youguys) said...

I joined BzzAgent based on a comment or two from you - I've only done a couple campaigns but I like it so far! I got the razors too, and I found that keeping the razor stored in that travel case prevents it from gooping up anything. It holds it so that the blade/moisture strip isn't in contact with anything while it dries, so no goop. For what that's worth.