Thursday, April 17, 2014

Because You All Want to Know About My Flow

This post definitely falls into the TMI category, so if the title doesn't sound like something you want to read about, consider yourself warned. 

I went to a new lady doctor for my annual appointment the other day, because the doctor who delivered both of the girls moved out of state.  I go to one of those practices where you may or may not end up with your doctor of choice at the time of delivery, so I was really lucky that I happened to go into labor on days when mine was on call.  Because of this set up, I didn't always go to my normal doctor for every single prenatal visit. Over the course of two pregnancies I had at least met most of the doctors in the practice.  I picked another "young female who seems nice". 

So anyway, this doctor had more questions than usual because it was the first time I ever saw her as "her" patient.  She was really interested in my flow, to the point that it was kind of weird.  I mean, I know mine is heavier than normal (to the point I only wear cheap undies the first few nights), but I have been dealing with it since I was 13 so I don't really think about it that often.  She acted shocked that I had never considered medical intervention, and gave me pamphlets on Lysteda and Gynecare Thermachoice.  Lysteda is a non hormonal pill you take 3 times a day up to 5 days of your period.  Gynecare Thermachoice is a non hormonal uterine balloon therapy system, so it's a device you insert and then ignore.  Neither one acts as birth control.

So my question is...is this a thing people actually do?  Does anyone have experience with either option, good or bad?  I have literally never heard of medical intervention for heavy periods aside from birth control.  I am wondering if they just can't stand that I don't need any prescriptions now that hubs has a vasectomy so they are trying to push meds on me for any reason they can find.  Anyway, thoughts are appreciated. 

7 comments:

Kidsandbeautyblog said...

I was prescribed Lysteda last year during my visit. I had never heard of it before then. Like you, I have a fairly heavy flow but have never thought much about it. I also usually pass a few fairly large clots during the first couple of days. The reason the subject even came up with my doctor was due to the pain I have during my period. Not cramps but horrible pressure. Like a bowling ball is getting ready to fall out kind of pressure. Sorry TMI! Anyway, I take the Lysteda three times a day for the first three days and it has been like a miracle. The clots are gone and my flow is less and only lasts around 4 days instead of 6. The best thing though is how much better the pain is. It's not totally gone but is now easily controlled with Advil. Hope this helps - I say give the medicine a try! I haven't experienced any side effects. For reference, I'm 33 and have also had 2 kids.

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I don't have a heavy flow and haven't ever taken meds specifically for it. If I were in your shoes, I think I'd want to know if there are any issues with a heavy flow (other than an inconvenience). And if so, what are the risks of not taking medicine vs. the risks of taking medicine. I think it's a very personal decision either way, but for me, it's especially personal if I don't even care about my flow, there are no medical risks to having a heavier flow AND I don't particularly want to add medication to my body if it's not needed.

Kelly said...

Am I just super suspicious and cynical, or does this sound like something doctors are pushing because of prescription sales reps? I mean, you didn't lodge any complaints or anything, she hadn't met you before, and she's suggesting two name brand medications/treatments?

I'm not suggesting they're not things that might be positive or might work or might vastly improve your life, or things you should look into or even eventually end up trying. Just that it seems weird, right?

Laura P said...

I bypassed meds and went for the endometrial ablation.. we can chat more later if you are interested...

Jessica said...

Is this stuff new? I've never heard of it, either! I've had very heavy periods since I was 13, too, and the Paraguard made it even worse there for a bit. The doctor even warned I might not be a good candidate for Paraguard for that reason. (It eventually evened out and I'm getting a new one after this baby because it's worth it.)

I'd want to know more about how specifically the drugs work. I kind of want to know anyway just because I'm curious:)

april said...

I don't have these issues, but I have a friend who did the ablation with great results. I have heard of the balloon thing, but I don't know anything about either of them.

Anonymous said...

Maybe she was worried about anaemia or other problems associated with a heavy flow? Good to know options, but it's good it's not bothering you.