It's my favorite time of year - Allure Beauty Box time! Scroll to the bottom for my initial thoughts on this year's box, and click here to see last year's.
If you aren't familiar, the Allure Beauty Box is an awesome deal, you spend about $50 to get over $300 worth of products. It's typically drug store with a few high end items thrown in. It usually goes on sale in April, July, and November, and arrives within a week or two. Even though I'm getting to the point that it's hard to use everything up, it's still my favorite deal of the year. And everyone else's, as evidenced by the fact that it sells out within minutes.
This year the box will be $44.95 instead of the usual $39.99. Shipping and handling plus taxes last year ran me about $53, so I'm thinking it will be in the $58 range. The box can be purchased here at 12:01 eastern time tomorrow (April 29, 2014). Allure has pulled the trigger early in the past, so I recommend refreshing the page about 5 minutes before that. DO NOT FORGET TO REFRESH; some people have missed it because they thought they just had to go to the page and wait. This WILL sell out in minutes.
And now for what's in it...
- Aloxxi Flexible Hairspray
- Big Sexy Hair Get Layered Flash Dry Thickening Hairspray
- Developlus Anti-Aging Hair Treatment System
- GK Hair ThermalStylerHer
- Not Your Mother's Intensive Hair Unit Renewal Treatment
- One 'N Only Argan Oil Cream-to-Serum Styler
- Oscar Blandi Pronto Dry Heat Protect Spray
- Pureology Fresh Approach Dry Conditioner
- Redken Mess Around 10 Disrupting Cream-Paste
- Rusk Freezing Spray
Skin / Body
- Burt's Bee's Even Tone Moisturizing Cream
- Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleansing Cloths
- Dove Purely Pampering Pistachio Cream with Magnolia Body Wash
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+ (also listed in Makeup)
- Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Face + Body Stick Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF
- Rembrandt Deeply White Toothpaste
- Softsoap Sea Kissed Exfoliating Body Wash
- Tan Towel Classic Self-Tan Towelettes
- Flower Nail'd it Nail Lacquer
- Sally Hansen Triple Shine Nail Color
- Sally Hansen Triple Shine Top Coat
- Cargo Cosmetics Essential Lip Gloss
- IT Cosmetics Your Skin But Better CC Cream with SPF 50+ (also listed in Skincare)
- Neutrogenal MoistureSmooth Color Stick
- Rimmel London Scandaleyes Retro Glam Mascara
- Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes 4-in-1 Mascara
Okay, now for my thoughts...
First off, I am still working through a lot of the products from the last box, so one would think that it's crazy to get another one. But this box has IT Cosmetics CC cream in it, a product which is becoming my holy grail rosacea-hider (review coming soon). So that's $38 of the $58 right there. I have also been wanting to try the Big Sexy Hair thickening spray, so these two products alone justify the purchase of the box. Everything else is like a giant gift with purchase.
Pros: This box is definitely higher value than the last couple, but I think the summer box always is. There is no leg makeup this time, and only one self tanning product, which tells me that they are hearing the complaints of the proudly pale and naturally dark ladies loud and clear. I am SO EXCITED about the IT Cosmetics since all of the makeup in the last box was drugstore (yes, I consider NYX drugstore). I'm weirdly excited by the toothpaste; I love when the box has stuff like that or razors and shave gel or other necessities I'd buy anyway to further justify the purchase.
Cons: I really wish the box was a little more balanced - holy balls that is a lot of hair stuff. It's really NICE hair stuff, most of which I am interesting in trying, but not all at once. I'd love to see some of the hair stuff replaced by a nice high end palette or other makeup product. I could do without the nail stuff...I'd rather see manicure products than polish. Maybe some of the nailtiques nail strengtheners next time, Allure gods? Finally, the price hike is a con, but I'm not really surprised and still think it's a great value overall.
So, what do you think? Are you in?