Friday, June 13, 2014

Enabler Alert: Le Metier de Beaute Vault VIP Subscription

Okay, so I realize I post many things on here that aren't for everyone, and this one probably has the smallest group of people that would actually be interested because of the horrifying up front cost.  But my friend Laura recently spent a butt ton on LMdB products and loves it, and she alerted me that this sub was accepting enrollments for a short period of time like the devil woman she is.  And now I'm alerting you, like the devil woman I am.   The first box ships in August, and spots are limited (and if they don't fill, they are closing them 7/18/14). 

I have only been aware that LMdB existed since they were featured in the Nieman Marcus PopSugar Must Have special edition box.  All I really knew is that it is a luxury brand sold at Nordstrom, Saks, and Nieman Marcus.  I believe it's only at Nieman Marcus now (at least online), which is a little concerning, but I know the brand has a bit of a cult following due to the cool packaging of the kaleidoscopes, so I don't think they are going anywhere.


The 2014 Beauty Vault VIP program is $348 for 12 months, which is A LOT OF FREAKING MONEY.  I wouldn't even blink if I was signing up to pay $29 a month, but asking for it up front is tough.  The smart ladies at MUT pointed out that you can use PayPal bill me later and spread it over 6 months though, which is a great idea if you are super interested but divorcing over makeup seems a bit silly. 

The idea of the program is that you are building a collection of LMdB products (mostly full sized) over the course of the year...there is a good mix of color cosmetics, skincare, and nail polish, and you occasionally get pre-release sneak peeks, lab previews, or vault exclusives.  Shipping is free. 

This is what everyone got from August through June in the first year of the program - they still have one month to go!  If you want to see gorgeous photos, check out Glamorable.  I read tons of reviews before buying, but Anastasia's were my favorite.   

Daily Refresh Tonic ($50)
True Colour Eye Shadow in Peachy Keen ($30)
True Colour Eye Shadow in Goldstone ($30)
Peau Vierge Anti-Aging Pressed Powder - most appear to have received Shade #2 ($75)
Peau Vierge Correcteur Concealer - most appear to have received Light/Medium ($95)
Ultra Hydration Eye Mask Duo ($18.75)
Nail Lacquer - shades vary ($18)
Nail Lacquer - shades vary ($18)
Color Core Lipstick - shades vary ($32)
Dual Action Makeup Remover ($32)
Kaleidoscope Face kit in Cheeky Chic ($95)
Peau Vierge Lash Growth Serum ($95)
Dualistic Eyelash Curler ($18)
Dualistic Eye Pencil - shades vary ($18)
Peau Vierge Dark Spot Corrector ($125)
True Colour Crème Eye Shadow in Starry Night ($32)
True Colour Crème Eye Shadow in Champagne Shimmer ($32)
Kaleidoscope Eye or Lip Kit - shades vary ($95)
Signature Red Lipstick ($25)
Precision Liquid Eye Liner ($42)
Kabuki Brush ($85)

By my count, 11/12 of the way through the program they are up to $1060.75 worth of product.  I would say this is comparable to a box like PopSugar which is a little more expensive ($40ish) but the per box value is more consistent ($100-125ish). 

I like the variety of products they have received so far, and am impressed by the fact that so many people seem to love the program.  I also really like the packaging and the fact that they include handwritten notes (sometimes from the CEO or COO!!) - there is a very personal feel to this service.  I am super intrigued by their proprietary couches de couleurs technique, and by their unique approach to beauty.  Many people on MUT were disappointed with the crème eye shadows, but I thought the email response shared by jesemiaud on MUT was fascinating:

To answer your question, the Cream Shadows are fashion items, and they're meant to be a little slick to give the eyes a dewy, sexy, and imperfect appearance. The product should be used very lightly, only in tiny amounts. The softest touch over or under powder shadows add mystery to the eye. They are not meant to be used in the crease of the eye(where oil penetrates too quickly), or in the inner membrane, or in substantial amounts. However, the look is meant to be slightly undone.
For more long wearing looks, we use the Dualistic Eye Pencil as base, or applied over shadow. These pencils come in basic black(Noir), matte brown(Sequoia), shimmering bronze(Tamarack), and beige(Champagne). The Dualistic formula is more durable for real life, the pots are meant for fashion and fun.

All the best,
LMdB

Many people were kind of perplexed by this, but I read it and was like "wannnnnnttttt".  Slightly undone = right up my alley, as I will forever be a 90's grunge girl in my heart.  And who doesn't need more fashion and fun in life?  I always love to try stuff that is like nothing else I've tried - to me, that is the whole point of a subscription service. 

So now for some negatives...they send out things like powder and concealer in one shade.  People do not come in one shade.  Customer service was really inconsistent when people complained...people were told to "be generous and give it to a friend", while others were told replacements were on the way.  They are supposedly fixing this in the next round, but I wasn't asked any of this information when I signed up.  I also think it's a wee bit crazy that this company came out of nowhere (they have only been around since 2006) and we are supposed to buy that it's luxury (and worth luxury prices) just because they said so.  I really, really, really hope it's as good as the pricing suggests! 

That being said, what better way to decide if it's worth the hype than to try out the products for a year?  I am more excited for this than any box ever. 

3 comments:

kirida said...

I want to have more money so I can buy all the things. They look so pretty!

Erica said...

I think I will avoid the divorce-by-makeup you speak of, but I want to give you a grunge girl fist bump, as my heart is also covered in flannel.

Rishi Banerjee said...

Hi,

very good article.

Here is a health care search engine... http://www.24remedy.com , if you want you can submit your content to include in the search engine.

Thanks!