Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Enabler Alert: Allure Winter 2014 Beauty Box

UPDATE:

The Allure website is up and running, now with a counter, product information, and a FAQ!  Here is a pic of the goodies:



I also updated my totals below, as I left out an item before.  The box still doesn't add up to the advertised $250, grrr...

_______

It’s Allure Beauty Box time again!  As you all know, this is my favorite deal of the year.  The Allure boxes go on sale three times a year (in April, July, and November) and are full of mostly drug store goodies.  They sell out in minutes because they are usually a great value.  Liz from My Subscription Addiction posted the spoilers and did most of the dirty work for us, but I thought it would be helpful to post my decision making process (at least my old process…I pre-ordered all of the boxes this year).

According to Liz:

The Winter 2014 Allure Beauty Box has been revealed! It goes on sale November 25th at noon EST. The cost is $44.95 plus shipping and the value is over $250.

The Allure boxes tend to get repetitive and have WAY too many hair products, but I figure that if there are enough things in the box that I would buy ANYWAY to cover the cost of the box, the rest is like a giant gift with purchase.  Super giant nerd secret – I also keep a list of all of the contents and prices from past boxes and check off the things I actually use to make sure I got my money’s worth.  This makes me feel better if I don’t use products before they expire.  I do try to give them away before that happens, but sometimes stuff gets buried and I end up using the expired stuff as shaving cream.    

Anyway, the first thing I do when I see what will be in the box is to split it up by product type.  This helps me figure out if I really NEED it…that way if I really need hair stuff (which never happens in reality) and there are 8 hair items, I get excited right away.  The two things that jumped out at me this round (aside from the fact that Allure REALLY wants me to moisturize) are that there is only 1 makeup item and 0 high end items.  I don’t mind the lack of makeup but I am definitely sad about not getting a deal on the good stuff.  I felt a little better when I listed the prices though.  Even though I don’t NEED many of the items on here, they are generally more expensive than what I would pay for when left to my own devices, so I know it’s a good deal.  The winter box rings up at a $217.09 (UPDATE: $229.08).  Past boxes have been worth over $300, but it’s still good value for something in the $50 price range. 

The next thing I do is pick out the items I’d buy anyway.  I am a goo hoarder, so there is very little I need this round.  I’m always in need of dry shampoo, hair ties, and whitening stuff, and the girls’ eczema is going haywire with the weather change so the cetaphil and curel will come in handy.  That puts me at $58.  If you add in the items I’m especially interested in trying (the Neutrogena and the sheamoisture) I’m at $86.  I assume Adriana will go bananas over the hair chalk so that’s $96 worth of stuff that will definitely get used.  The rest is just icing on the cake.

Hair

  • Aloxxi Conditioning Detangler ($20)
  • John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Colour Protecting Moisturizing Conditioner ($5.63)
  • John Frieda Frizz Ease Nourishing Hair Oil Elixir ($8.48)
  • UPDATE: John Frieda Colour Refreshing Gloss for Cool Brunettes ($11.99)
  • Not Your Mother’s Whip It Up Cream Styling Mousse ($11.27)
  • RUSK Texture ($15.99)
  • Style Sexy Hair H2No 3 Day Style Saver Dry Shampoo ($15.95)
  • Scunci Hair Emergency Kit ($5?)
  • Splat Hair Chalk ($9.99)

Face

  • Biore Self Heating One Minute Mask ($5.99)
  • Burt’s Bees Cucumber & Sage Facial Wipes ($5.99)
  • Clean & Clear Morning Burst Hydrating Gel Moisturizer ($3.45)
  • Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel ($17.90)
  • Organic Doctor Organic Virgin Coconut Oil Hydrating Radiance Elixir ($17.99)

Body

  • Cetaphil Intensive Moisturizing Cream ($7.19)
  • Curel Rough Skin Rescue ($8.88)
  • Dove White Beauty Bar ($1.35)
  • Jergens Natural Glow 3 Days to Glow Moisturizer ($7.38)
  • Sheamoisture Superfruit Complex Body Lotion ($9.99)

Makeup

  • Physicians Formula Nude Wear Glowing Nude Blush in Rose ($12.52)

Hands / Nails

  • Organic Doctor Organic Manuka Honey Hand & Nail Cream ($24.99)
  • Sally Hansen Complete Salon Manicure ($1.16)

Other

  • Colgate Optic White Toothbrush + Built In Whitening Pen ($15.96)
  • Colgate Optic White Platinum Whiten & Protect Toothpaste ($5.99)

 

 

1 comment:

JEN said...

What a great idea! I'm going to buy one!