Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Social Media is Really Fucking Weird

Okay, so I realize that nothing I say here will be all that shocking to many of you, but it was really interesting/surprising to me...

I downloaded one of those fancy apps to make a little picture collage showing my most popular instagram posts for 2015 (2 out of 5 were my beauty trash, which kind of makes me sad for my kids).  The app doesn't just make nifty collages, it tracks a bunch of stuff too.  I have never used one of these apps before, because my instagram account isn't about making money or having a zillion followers, it's just for fun.  But I found myself getting sucked in (and spending $$ on expansions) because everything it was telling me was just so bizarre.

The first thing that sucked me in was the part that told me which users I was following who aren't following me back.  That was nice because in the 4 years I have been on instagram, I have never cleaned up my feed and there are a ton of SUPER RANDOM accounts I followed in a breastfeeding haze or a manic insomnia episode.  I was following nearly 500 people, many of whom I couldn't remember what attracted me to the account in the first place, and it was taking too much effort to stay caught up with my feed.

So I did a mass unfollowing, only from the list of people who don't follow me back. I kept people whose feed I love for fashion/makeup/art/whatever inspiration and a couple of Blathering ladies who I can only assume didn't realize they aren't following me or don't like pictures of empty makeup samples or awkward selfies, and ditched the rest.  (Edited to add because I am an overthinker: if you read this and maybe you unfollowed me by mistake or whatever, I will happily re-follow you...and I might re-follow anyway if I miss your pics...I really didn't put a ton of thought into this unfollowing, it was a quick way to unclutter my feed!)

The next day, the stupid app tells me that it will track my deleted comments/likes for a mere $1.99.  Thinking it might amuse me to see what people are saying and then unsaying, I bought it.  Then I realized that a bunch (okay, fine, like 6) of the people I unfollowed had retaliated by STEALING BACK MY LIKES.  Seriously, who does this?  I guess I shouldn't be surprised because a lot of times when someone likes a few of my pics, I check out their account and follow it if I like it or if they are a mom type who maybe found me via my neglected blog or twitter accounts.  So it makes sense that if someone baited me into following them by liking my stuff, they will play takesies backsies when I unfollow them. 

The thing that really surprised me was that a couple of the like stealers were people that I followed back when instagram would suggest people I followed on twitter...so even if they aren't really twitter friends I interact(ed) with, they are at least people who are friends of twitter friends.  And my twitter friends are almost exclusively real people who aren't just a bunch of fame whores / professional bloggers.  So basically it blew my mind that REAL PEOPLE will pay that much attention to who is unfollowing them, and then go back to pictures from 3 years ago of an adorable infant and unlike it.  WHO IS SERIOUSLY THAT BUTTHURT ABOUT BEING UNFOLLOWED THAT THEY UNLIKE A BABY???

So then the app tells me that for another $1.99 it will tell me who blocked me.  Since downloading the app a couple of days before I had apparently offended someone to the point of being blocked.  I haven't posted any pictures lately (slash ever) of my manicure while I was driving 70 mph or my kids releasing balloons in the wind, so I ponied up and clicked to see who this blocker was.  Sure enough, another person retaliating for me unfollowing them after a good 6 months of me liking their posts and getting no love back.  The funny thing is, I think this person got me to follow them by doing the good old mass follow then unfollow everyone a few days later trick.  So she unfollowed me first, dammit. 

I don't know why this is all so bizarre to me, maybe because it's my first foray into tracking my social media.  Are you guys trackers?  Any other bizarre behavior I should be forewarned about?  Do the like stealers have an app that will show them every pic of mine they liked so they can steal the likes?  Or is there an app that magically unlikes and unfollows and blocks everyone who slights you in some way?  Actually, I have a real app question now...is there an app that will match up twitter names to instagram names to real life facebook names because that would be actually useful.

Anyway.  The internet is weird, yo.

9 comments:

Lacey said...

Whattttttttt?? People take likes back? This is news to me. I can't even imagine the time it takes to realize you were unfollowed, and then to go to their page and find the things I've liked to UNlike. This is completely bizarre to me and makes me think this app is making stuff up. Lol.

Jodi said...

Wow, this was really interesting. My instagram feed is the same way, just for fun... and I never realized you were on instagram even, tells you how tech savvy I am! I didn't realize there were these apps out there that could tell you all that stuff, so weird!

Mona said...

AHHHH! Laura, I had the same dilemma though I did not pay the $1.99 to find out who are the three people to block me because I am cheap and I like to think I channeled Beyonce because does Beyonce care who unfollows her? It is the most Beyonce thing I have ever done.

Jessica said...

Who had the time for that?? I mean, I'm not trying to judge people for how they spend their time (hello, level 1400-some of candy crush), I just feel like that would take a LOT of time.

scott said...

This is my thought too. I'd question the app accuracy before thinking a rando was paying enough attention to go back and unlike things from the last. But who knows. The internet is weird.

scott said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan said...

So I look at the who doesn't follow me back thing a lot and it mostly is interesting but occasionally hurts my feelings, but that's on me so whatever. And yes, I've unfollowed people that don't follow me back because... well, that seems fair, right? BUT, it never occurred to me that people would take back their likes! That is pure insanity. It's out there in the world already and what possible difference could it make to them? That is totally bizarre to me.

april said...

I can pretty much say ditto to everything Megan said. My feelings were a little hurt (although someone came onto twitter saying how they use IG differently and that makes sense too, but now I want to have it repost to twitter which I rarely did before). That taking back likes ... that's just weird. No one has time for that. Also - does anything change anything for me? I still liked the picture. People are weird.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com