Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Updates

Here are some updates for you, in bullet form, covering the things I get emails about most frequently from people who stumble upon ye olde blogge plus some general life updates for those of you lovely folks who are still reading.  Hope you all had a delicious/relaxing thanksgiving!
  • Kids: Things are improving on the school front, but more slowly than I would like.  I think they probably both have ADHD, or at least Adriana does.  Justin had it as a kid, so I don't know why this was so surprising to me.  I knew deep down that something was not right when they were getting kicked out of dance class ALL THE TIME last year, but I was always making excuses like "they're tired" or "they would be fine if they were separated" or "they just want an excuse to see me" or "they are free-spirited and this class is too organized" or "they are genetically predisposed to be pains in the butt" instead of "oh, maybe they have an actual diagnosable issue."  I'm still trying to figure out the best way to parent them and set them up for success, especially in Catholic school where the school isn't really required to deal with the kids who aren't easy.  If anyone has experience with this and has words of advice or must-reads, please let me know. 

  • Arbonne: I still buy it, but I don't really do the full detox that often.  I mostly like it for when my weight gets higher than I like and I want to drop 5-10 pounds so my clothes fit again, or when I have blown my budget and don't want to buy breakfast, lunch, and coffee at work (which also results in me losing 5-10 pounds).  I spent so much on Black Friday that I'll probably be detoxing by default for the entire month of December.  Oops.

  • Rosacea: Still got it...the older I get, the more it kind of creeps to the other areas of my face so now it's on my chin and forehead in addition to my cheeks.  I can now say for certainty that avoiding the trigger foods definitely helps, but I'm a wine / chocolate / spicy food girl and am just not willing to compromise those things to have less red skin.  I don't use any prescription for it, I just follow a good skincare routine. I mostly use Murad products but I'm a skincare junkie and love trying all of the new things I get in subscription boxes so I do test samples (more than I should) as well. Sometimes if my skin is getting irritated I back off of all of the products I'm using and go down to the bare bones.  My holy grail most basic of all skin care routines is to wash my face with the Murad Refreshing Cleanser (2x/day) and to exfoliate with Murad's Skin Smoothing Polish (3x/week).  I have repurchased both products many times since Murad first sent them to me and they are definitely my favorites.  During the day I just use the IT Cosmetics CC Cream to cover all skincare and makeup needs, and at night I use whatever nice night moisturizer and eye cream I'm working through.  Currently I'm using Lancer cream which is $$$ but I got it in a Popsugar box last year and was tired of "saving it" because it's fancy.  My go to gentle eye cream is the Kiehl's creamy avocado eye cream.  This very simple routine is calming to my skin and usually gets it back in shape pretty quickly.  Then I can go back to playing with masks and adding in all of the fancy serums and collagen boosters and stuff. 

  • Makeup:  I still love makeup, but I am most definitely slowing down and moving my interests elsewhere.  I didn't even buy the Naked Smoky palette because I was like "ehhh...I have enough eyeshadow."  That might be a slight lie though because I did put the Bobbi Brown Greige palette and burberry shadows on my Christmas list.  I guess I am still interested, I'm just narrowing my focus to a few things.  My current obsessions are bite lipsticks and Smith and Cult nail polishes, if you are looking for fun new stuff to buy.

  • Travel: I have been taking a ton of trips recently, whether for work (D.C., New York, Philadelphia) or fun (Napa/Sonoma).  This is finally the year where I stopped packing with plastic bags and invested in some nice travel gear.  I am probably the only weirdo who has completely run out of packing videos on youtube / has seen all of them multiple times.  If I ever start blogging in non-bullet form again, I want to show you all of my precious travel things and review the wineries from my CA trip.   And one about subscription boxes because that is still my other weird obsession.

  • Speaking of subscription boxes, I just found a new one.  Well, not new, I had seen it around and was intrigued, but this was back when I was still into subscriptions that gave me zillions of samples to hoard, not ones that were actually useful.  Rocksbox is a jewelry rental service which is both intriguing and maybe slightly kind of gross.  But I'm choosing to completely ignore the fact that the earrings have been in other people's ears and focus on the fact that they carry REALLY cute jewelry and I can wear fun things without adding to my clutter.  I'll review it and post my referral link if I actually like / would recommend it to you guys. 

  • Work: I have been in my current role for almost a year and a half and I feel like I am finally in the groove.  It's not my favorite job with this company ever, but things are good.  I'm pretty darn busy though, hence the lack of updates here and complete absence from twitter.  Just trying to make the most of "individual contributer" life. 

  • Hubs: We are good!  Even though the kids are challenging this year, they are also easier in a million other ways so I feel like we are getting more quality time, both together and separately since we don't feel as guilty leaving the other at home.  We are currently spending a lot of time enjoying my Napa wine, doing puzzles, finishing up the fall hiking spree, and watching every season of big brother on the CBS all access app + iZombie on Neflix.  All of the above activities are recommended for all of my fellow boring married people. 

  • Home: Ugh, it's a disaster.  I started getting into the KonMari thing but it turns out that I really just like to watch youtube videos of OTHER PEOPLE KonMari-ing as opposed to doing it myself.  Finally purging shit is my major goal for 2016. 

  • Christmas: Nope, not ready yet. Not even close. 
That about covers it on my end.  What have you guys been up to?  I really miss my bloggy friends, so if you are reading this I would love, love, love to hear from you in the comments section down there.  Leave a sentence or a paragraph, I just want to know how you have been, even if we have never met! 

12 comments:

Swistle said...

I am not at all ready for Christmas, and I feel like it's coming up too fast. I am familiar with the "Let's have Thanksgiving first!" complaint, but in that case I wish we could have Thanksgiving EARLIER.

Devan said...

It's good to hear from you! Christmas is coming at full speed!

Lacey said...

Made me super duper happy to see a new post from you in my reader this morning! I am a little miffed that we were gypped of a kiddo picture, but I guess I can stalk you on FB for that.

I would really super love to see your travel stuff and hear about your winery trips. But, I'm still working on a post I started in September so I get it. Stupid busy lives interfering with our blogs.

Misty said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Misty said...

Getting ready to go back to work after nearly 2 years at home and paying we all survive. Kids are good, but ADD and managing school for that kid has been the hardest thing we have ever done as parents. Harder than peanut allergies. Not trying to be discouraging! I just want to give you permission to not know what to do. You guys will figure it out. Everyone will make it. Promise.

Purging all the things sounds like a excellent goal to steal. Right after full time job and four kids survival.

Nowheymama said...

Hi! I did a major house purge last winter of everything but kid stuff. Am hoping I get motivated to tackle toys/clothes this winter. Sigh.

JEN said...

my 7 year old has the disruptive type of adhd. meds are a wonderful, wonderful thing. people like to criticize and judge, but meds have helped her excel and we are all much happier.

Anonymous said...

Yay! A new post! I just love your blog. It's so real and normal. Not saying all of the others I read aren't but you just put it out there and I can't get enough. I raised a boy with adhd I agree with Misty. - hardest thing ever but hang in there because it can be very rewarding. He's now 24, thriving, independent and a fine young man. As Jen said, meds are wonderful. We did them with some therapies and behavior mod and it's a package deaL Find a good pediatrician you trust. Read all you can and make the best decision for you and your family. Good luck. Post again soon PLEASE, <3 Tara

Jess said...

I'm in DC for work right now. Relatedly: please do that travel gear post you mentioned! Also, I totally just ordered that avocado eye cream, because the skin around my eyes is super irritated right now. Blargh.

Life of a Doctor's Wife said...

I also miss blogs and bloody friends, and I clearly am late to the table with this one, but I loved this recap! And am very jealous of the travel. Tell me about some of the wines you got in Napa that you are loving.

Steph Lovelady said...

I hope you find some good support for the girls' ADHD. Are either of them diagnosed? I don't know if you want to go the medication route or not, but what I've heard is that they have to be five.

My son has ADHD, too, but only diagnosed when he was 10 with ADHD-NOS and then ADHD Inattentive Type this past summer when he was 14. We're still looking for the right meds and/or non-medical treatment. He has kind of a non-typical case and other issues that complicate it so the diagnosis has not been as helpful as I'd hoped it would be. Even so, things are a little better for him in high school than they were in middle school.

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com